Bank book renewal

Just gone through it, added little (seemingly huge...) 'complication' for the banks, I got a new passport since opening both accounts at different banks. Krungsri requested my new passport to give me a new bank book (signature on the book plus drivers licencexa is sufficient to withdraw money but not to get a new book), took 25 minutes to do, lots of forms to sign. Did not do it at the bank where I opened the account as that branch in the meantime closed down. Bangkok Bank bank book also full, went to a branch, to be told to go to main branch. Only that branch could give me a new bank book, due to me (of course completely unreasonably) having gotten a new passport in the meantime. Will forget about that, I wish they would forget about bank books, too old fashioned for me....

• Like 1

Maybe this has changed.
Before when you opened an A/c with your passport.
If you had renewed your passport before  going to renew your bankbook,
you had to have your old and new passports with you or they would not renew the book.
This was a few years ago.
The bangbook was full, tried to get a new one, at another bransh, wouldn't do it.
They printed the extra transactions on a sheet of paper and stapled it into the bankbook.
aussiep....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, aussiep said:

Maybe this has changed.
you had to have your old and new passports with you or they would not renew the book.
The bangbook was full, tried to get a new one, at another bransh, wouldn't do it.
They printed the extra transactions on a sheet of paper and stapled it into the bankbook.
aussiep....

Yes, if you've renewed your passport, then you need to go to your original account opening branch and renew your identity documentation. The same goes for things like mobile phone registration and Driving Licence etc (although few, if any, bother to change their DL until expiry on that basis)

23 minutes ago, roath said:

Yes, if you've renewed your passport, then you need to go to your original account opening branch and renew your identity documentation. The same goes for things like mobile phone registration and Driving Licence etc (although few, if any, bother to change their DL until expiry on that basis)

I renewed my passport last year, and went to Lamphun branches of Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank to update passport information for my Bangkok accounts with those two banks.

On 10/31/2020 at 8:13 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Can this be done in any branch of your bank ( different province ) or only at the original branch your account was opened?

Thx.

I have SCB accounts, I've renewed bank books at the local small sub-branch without trouble.

As others say, it might be depending of your bank.

I use Bangkok Bank and SCB, and they will do it in all branches, but you need your passport to do it, and it must be the same passport number as listed in the bank book (Bangkok Bank), or "glued"to the bankbook in the database (SCB).

However, if you due to extension of stay had "transferred entry visa documentation" from one passport to another, your old passport number will be listed on the first page, and might be accepted; in that case also have your new passport number registered with the bank book...????

1 hour ago, roath said:

That's simply not correct. Any branch within your region should be able to provide you with this service

Should be able to? Just last week I tried to renew my BB bank book in my local branch using my new passport. 'No can do. Even with old passport. Better go to the branch which has your account,' Went to BB Banglamung. No sweat, and they said that the local branches can do it as it's all on computer. But better come to us as we know what we are doing. Says it all really. One of the joys of living in the Land of Smiles. Always something to exercise your brain.????

5 hours ago, roath said:

That's simply not correct. Any branch within your region should be able to provide you with this service

It may be correct for you but I originally had an account opened with the Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai.

I moved further North within the same Province and the local branch said they couldn’t renew it.

9 hours ago, aussiep said:

Maybe this has changed.
aussiep....

Oh, glad you mentioned the extra transactions on a sheet of paper. That's what Krungri did when the book was full (withdrawal). When I tried to do a SECOND withdrawal (same branch, proper branch), I was told  i could not, I needed a new book. Yes, they joys (that are not...)...

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Same province?

Yes, same province (Chiang Mai). Usual branch is San Kamphaeng and got it renewed at Big C Bangkok Bank in CM city. No problem, no questions and very quick. Just needed old book and passport.

Edited by psepsych

On 11/2/2020 at 10:56 AM, roath said:

That's correct.  Local BB did it for me even though account was opened (a few years ago) 25 minutes from this local branch.(#note this is a real branch with lots of staff and a manager.....who speaks English!!)

Just needed passport and lots of forms to sign (front and back!!!).

Then voila, new bank book,  balance updated.

I've always found that you have to prepare and then stand your ground when dealing with Thai Banks.  Ring the call centre first and ask what's needed, what to say in the Bank and get them to confirm that the Bank branch can do what you want them to do. 

When you get to the Bank take a quick photo of the person dealing with you.  Sometimes, I simply get photos of them all.  When they start giving you the runaround, ask for their name.  When they ask why you want that, tell them it's because the call centre said you could do what you wanted in the Bank and they want you to report back with the name of the person who says you can't do it.  If you can't get the name then you are to email the photo you already have to the call centre.  Don't forget, you also need the name of the Branch Manager as well just for good measure.

Opens doors magically for me every time.  I don't think they like me very much, but I get what I want.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DiDiChok said:

I've always found that you have to prepare and then stand your ground when dealing with Thai Banks.  Ring the call centre first and ask what's needed, what to say in the Bank and get them to confirm that the Bank branch can do what you want them to do. 

When you get to the Bank take a quick photo of the person dealing with you.  Sometimes, I simply get photos of them all.  When they start giving you the runaround, ask for their name.  When they ask why you want that, tell them it's because the call centre said you could do what you wanted in the Bank and they want you to report back with the name of the person who says you can't do it.  If you can't get the name then you are to email the photo you already have to the call centre.  Don't forget, you also need the name of the Branch Manager as well just for good measure.

Opens doors magically for me every time.  I don't think they like me very much, but I get what I want.

I think I'm lucky that the customer service manager at that BB branch is a really nice (older) man who speaks quite good English and goes pit of his way to be helpful .

But some of the "girls" working there are in the mai mee brigade. Poor year 3 English too.

Glad I wasn't with SCB. They closed their local branch, up and left.

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if this is all to hard , Bangkok bank book need replacing as its full , went to the branch that opened the account and supplied Car licence ,bike licence. pink I.D card old bank book, a govt ID card with passport number on it and photo on my phone of my Passport main page. all had my photo on the id.s and with my address. Reply "Solly no can do have to see your passport"   Must follow the law, come back tomorrow she said,  

On 11/2/2020 at 9:45 AM, fred110 said:

Bangkok bank makes me go where the account was opened.

I have received a new Bangkok Bank passbook at various branches over the past 10 years including a recent new book from a branch that was not the originating branch. 

I got a new book-bank at Krunsri a few weeks ago (a different branch from the home branch) and just showed them the copy of my passport I keep in my wallet.

You have to use the same ID you used to open the account. If you used your passport to open the account, you can't use your pink ID to to get a new book.

If get a new passport, and you did not update the passport information on your account, you will need to show your old passport to get a new book. 

Further to my post here in early November,  I just had to get a new passbook (immigration requiring months of updates).

Same local BB branch, and not the one where I originally opened the account.

But this time, she had to photocopy not only first page,  but flicked through all the pages to find my "expiry" date of current permission of stay.

6 signatures later I was out!