The visa amnesty is now over: Foreigners face fines and possible deportation for overstaying visas

rooster59

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

No problem to return them to Wales. You only need to put them onto a flight to UK. Europe never closed to their nationals not even to international flights. All borders are open within EU. All they need is to put you onto any flight within Europe/EU and you can get home to a locked down Wales.

Australia not so easy. I pity aussies that have been trying to get home but cannot. Best they hide low for a while.

I just see no reason to do this. They are not a drain on thailand but a benefit. Surely if they have a flight booked but it keeps getting cancelled you would think a bit of empathy and consideration.

But no, not the thai way.

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Thailand Noobie said:

Before first lockdown people had enough time to get out from Thailand, but they decided to stay, so whose fault is it in the first place?

People who can't return their homeland now have already extended Visas, if not, they will end up to jail or deportation center.

The whole thing is that there are a bunch of people that didn't listen to what the government said.  They ASS U ME d that there would be another extension.

Now that are crying it isn't fair 

Too bad you had loads of time to make arrangements to stay and didn't.

Pay the man on your way out.

As for this long term expat I am aware things can change and have started plan c.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If only they were as proficient at rounding up the filthy, feral stray dogs as they are for overstaying foreigners. 

Why,  feral dogs rate higher than foreigners..... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Foreigners who have been in Thailand for 8 months can hardly be considered to be tourists 

With many breaking their necks to get out of Thailand and back home.... they certainly don't consider themselves as tourists..... 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

All many have had to do is to buy a flight ticket 

This is a good point. Air travel in 2020 seems like the easiest thing in the world to do, especially with a large number of countries advising against it. 

Edited by heist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

I agree that rules are rules but instead of getting 100 Chinese to come here, why not cater to the expats already enjoying their extended stays and being COVID free in this country. Give them an extension and incentivise them to see the country more.

There is still the who question. They may be taking an opportunity to weed out people making visa runs and agent deals. Also, Falangs are not most of the foreigners, maybe it is time for the people from India and Myanmar to go home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heist said:

This is a good point. Air travel in 2020 seems like the easiest thing in the world to do, especially with a large number of countries advising against it. 

I am not saying that its easy, just saying many Countries are reachable by flight , all of Europe for example 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Salerno said:

Nor Thailand's problem that those that don't have long-term visa didn't make arrangements to leave during the generous amnesties.

what is the generous???? I was leavng thai on twentysix February. stuck in other country they have amnesty as well but since April  immigration the same rule for the  extension it's until normal flights(boaredergates open) to the country resume plus 30 days . ( only one announcement since April no stories) we're the easy way to clear. Overstayer only small money only if you stay longer than one year gif Problem. But everybody have the chance to make the resident Hill Planet up to one year the only you need the rental contract and health insurance what is valid for immigration the cost is only two hundred dollar for one year. After that in any case have to leave( exception about 50 countrys can renew ) ...very clear and easy

Edited by lapamita
  • Confused 5

Immigration is not saying that you cannot continue to stay.  Just that you cannot do it for free anymore.  You must apply for 60 day covid-19 extensions.  Letter from embassy apparently will not be necessary.

They posted recently on their facebook with translations in several languages.

• Like 2

So does this mean that most international airlines are flying int and out of Thailand, and all can

easily buy tickets to fly to their home countries?  Maybe this means that immigration is

not getting the money they are used to getting and need the foreigners to come into

a local office and fill the coffers again. Hmmm.  Glad I got out last March, before the covid hit the fan.

Geezer

Just when I think I have seen it all another few of the Thai'r than Thai shock me with their contempt for their fellow man, tbf it's a few of the same old apologists but it's times like this that I truly hope karma exists because there are a few people who could really do with a wake up call

They forget they are also aliens in a third world country with a volatile nationalist government and no matter how much kow towing or ass kissing they do nobody is safe... 

Edited by mark131v
Damned monkey fingers!
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, TEFLKrabi said:

I agree that rules are rules but instead of getting 100 Chinese to come here, why not cater to the expats already enjoying their extended stays and being COVID free in this country. Give them an extension and incentivise them to see the country more.

sure, just have them deposit 800k in the bank with a restriction on withdrawal like every retiree has to..

On 11/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, Sujo said:

Australia not so easy. I pity aussies that have been trying to get home but cannot. Best they hide low for a while.

I just see no reason to do this. They are not a drain on thailand but a benefit. Surely if they have a flight booked but it keeps getting cancelled you would think a bit of empathy and consideration.

But no, not the thai way.

I'm stuck in Europe, not even in my country of origin. I could stay till now because of an EU p.port in the family. But I had no amnesty of any sort. Went through the whole immigration bureaucracy. If you think Thai immi can be awkward, welcome to Austria. 

On 10/31/2020 at 9:42 PM, Traubert said:

Why cant people just do what they're supposed to do? Its not that hard?

If they want to deport them but cant they'll just lock 'em up 'til they can. That better?

I guess it’s not that hard until you look at the ridiculous air fare prices if you can get the lotto number to get on the plane to start with ,then make sure you got $3,000 to pay for your quarantine, then hopefully you’ve got all the travel regulations right so maybe it’s a little harder than you think