Calls to give foreigners who buy a condo residency in Thailand

rooster59

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

So this means there a lot Condos they can't sell.

I think in Sukhumvit and Thonglor they are trying to sell off the empty condo units priced at starting from 8 to 13 and some even starting from 23 to 30 million baht and the developers are still building more.

I assume there is some serious lobbying going on by developers with the govt to to come up with incentives to sell these properties.

Edited by userabcd
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

As usual it will be for a new condo purchase and,  those that have spent the money and bought previously will be left hanging in the wind 

Mr Glass Half Empty strikes again - seeing the negative in everything.

Do you seriously expect any change in immigration law to be back dated and applied retroactively??  Really???  How far back should it go?  And which country does that?

12 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I think in Sukhumvit and Thonglor they are trying to sell off the empty condo units priced at starting from 8 to 13 and some even starting from 23 to 30 million baht and the developers are still building more.

I assume there is some serious lobbying going on by developers with the govt to to come up with incentives to sell these properties.

High rise buildings I always see as a problem if over-development happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

They're starting to get desperate if they are doing this.  Letting dirty farangs get residency.  Who would have thought.????

Seriously, it's a great idea.  Several countries already do this. From a few years ago:

https://qz.com/31397/buy-a-home-get-a-visa-for-a-mere-e160000-you-can-become-a-spanish-resident/

How longer you gonna beat that dirty Farang statement for Christ sake 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The media also reported that people like retirees, teachers and professionals could be given long term status for investing 3 million baht though exactly what they

I would easily go for 1.5 million and have the cash on hand that would not even phase me. But I would not want to have it locked in for more than 3 years.

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Is there really a 10M baht condo market?

That means quality fixtures and appliances installed...

my observation here is one unnamed but the biggest real estate developer in LOS uses the same materials they put in their 3M baht homes as they do they put in their 10-20M baht homes...

This is huge mistake property developers make here...good value for low end homes but terrible for homes over 7M baht homes not to upgrade materials, fixtures and appliances to reflect the home sale price...I view it as trying to pull a fast one as if the uneducated buyer won’t notice...

I wonder if this occurs in the condo market which I am completely unfamiliar with...

Yes,Because farangs cannot own land,So farangs mainly buy condo.s.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thomas Hannah said:

They are so stupid.If you have 10 million to buy a condo.Why do you want to stay in thailand.Thats £250.000 then another £25.000 in fees.We all know how over priced condo.s are in thailand.Thats why they cannot sell them.i have read that there are over 4000 condo,s empty in pattaya,before all this covid.There are laws now that you cannot rent them out.Thais think that we are all stupid and they are very clever.If you want to stay for a long time in thailand.A furnished top notch condo. or villa ,house ,can be had for 20000  baht a month before covid.I remember 7 years ago farangs were leaving thailand and trying to sell there condo,s.I remeber one person saying his was worth 8 million.I started laughing and he could not understand why.He maybe understood,when he got 3.5 million.and then had to pay fee,s after sale.

Im sure many of us,me included would happily buy an over 10mil condo in thailand,if quality and beachfront.

I dont class them as good investment ,but far far better value than many other countries..

I dont buy off developer,sure,thats overpriced..

2 hours ago, StrandedBusinessPerson said:

All I know is that if Tland had offered something like this 20 years ago, I would have bit. Instead, I chose Nepal as a place to invest and retire. Been back and forth ever since, at least once a year. I'd still consider a condo near the beach, if the regulations and requirements were not bat-<deleted> crazy, for both visas and property ownership. Seems to me, the housing bubble in Thailand is about to collapse, with a boatload of nice beach properties just sitting empty ... make me an offer like this: residential visa for any condo or villa, anywhere, with proper bank financing, and Im there.  

It collapsed over 5 years ago.and they keep on building.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, murraynz said:

Im sure many of us,me included would happily buy an over 10mil condo in thailand,if quality and beachfront.

I dont class them as good investment ,but far far better value than many other countries..

I dont buy off developer,sure,thats overpriced..

Like the one in pattaya thats got to be demolished.And not like other countrys that hold there value.Were you can rent them out.I have never been stupid enough to buy a bar or condo.I rented a huge 3 bedroomed house for £27 a week in a nice area of chiang mai.But this was 7 years ago.I lived in thailand for 12 years.and have lost count of people loosing money on condo,s.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Good point.  I have been here about 15 years now.  Married to my Thai wife for the last 10 years.

We have 2 houses (one we bought, one we built), a condo (Thai style, not farang bait) which we use for her son whose going to tech school in BKK and two other plots of land for development.

Why would I not qualify for residency, given my commitment to this place and the amount I have brough in over that time?

The uneducated, xenophobes in government are as clueless with this issue as they are with tourism and road safety.

OK......... bring on the rose-tinted shill brigade!!

They can suck $10-$15k off of me if they gave me a PR. Very easy money for them.

• Like 1

The Waterfront condo at pattaya,is a different subject,it was never completed.sure,many people loose money on condos here..

Im quite happy with what ive bought.im not a seller at moment.

I invest in property elsewhere,if i want cap gains..

I think the idea of giving visas to larger investors,is a good idea.

It probably cant include those who buy houses,because they cant own land in foriegn name

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Quite right.

Just drive around anywhere in Thailand and see the empty properties all over, not just condos.

Part of this is that Thais want to buy new houses.  They are, for some reason, often loathe to buy second-hand.  Maybe they are scared of the ghosties!

Look at the rows and rows of newly developed shop houses and all the empty properties above older shop properties.

Clueless.

They do the same with cars. 

No-one wants a second hand motor.  They want to have nice, new, shiny ones (even though they have never had a driving lesson in their lives!) so they can go out on the road, pretend to be Hi-So until their cute red number plates are taken back, stick ridiculous, cutesy stickers, toys and other childish baubles on their pride and joy, all until they pile it into the back of some equally untrained, unintelligent, unskilled dope on a motor scooter, or until they get ploughed under by an equally skilled moron in a truck equipped with obviously mass-produced <deleted>ty brakes!

The toys are for the ghosts to play with.So as they dont interfere with the car.Same outside houses.so as they stay outside.

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

Nothing to do with the "Developers", it's the banks that are now stuck with these foul loans.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FinChin67 said:

Sounds very desperate already. I think they are expecting more riots. 

Very soon it will been ”all in” when the money runs out...

Exactly! Come January all those affected by the willful killing of the tourism industry will join the rebellion.

There's big changes on the horizon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Deal of the century:

Promotion NOW:

We offer a wonderful, state of the art, Kitchenette 26m2 apartment with high end equipment for the bargain price of 10Million baht.

Prices increasing by the day.

Just as an example: Before the residency announcement was made, the price was 1,9 Million Baht, now 10 Million.

It could be 100 Million in a year. Investment of lifetime.

And as the icing of the cake, we throw in a 10 year residency (which will be reviewed on a yearly basis)

Hurry up, last few remaining ones availacable.

Better call the riot squad to control the meyham at the line-up.

This is crazy, nobody wants to miss out on this "tradiditional Thai deal".????????????

• Haha 1