Calls to give foreigners who buy a condo residency in Thailand

rooster59

Thansettakij said that meetings have taken place with developers since October 24th after requests were made to give foreigners five year visas for condo purchases of 5 million baht. 

Teaching their kids for almost 20 years, being married to a Thai, helping the whole extended family have a comfortable life, paying taxes and overpriced tickets to get into a national park, and spending roughly 20 million baht so far doesn't count.

Nobody would come and even offer a 5-year visa. 

Every year the same procedure, plus some new ones where we have to jump over or slide through?

WTH is wrong here? 

Okay, I get it. When you buy what you might never be able to sell again, you are okay.

Dr. Whatson, what's your input? 

Dr Watson.jpg

Edited by teacherclaire

I have been building my own house for the last 2 years. In that time I have spent over 15 million bhat on buying land, building materials and labour.

Will I be entitled to a 5 year visa? Or does this only valid if I line the pockets of some multi millionaire property developer?

20 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

10 millions baht! Thais don’t have a clue. If they want investment in the country, they need to treat people (other than Chinese) with decency and give them some security instead of changing visa laws every month.

what about the retirees that have married a Thai and lived in the country for over 10 years, we have bought houses, land, cars and bikes, supported other family members. don't we get a say? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrMo said:

Why not if they buy a house ?   They can do so,   Just can't own the land on which it stands.

Sounds like a most excellent way of .. losing the house when the lease runs out. 

It's blindingly obvious and has been for ages that Thais do not want permanent residents. They want the foreigners on short leash so they can kick 'em out, or as it is with covid, keep them out. Naturally while keeping the money that came to Thailand. Thais can try to sugar coat it and do diversion tactics, but smoke screens only work for the dumb.

• Like 1

What they should do is give those of us with Thai spouses and children residency like is done in other countries, something similar to a Green Card in the US, for example, which makes the holder a resident immigrant.  We are already investing millions in the country, and would invest even more if we were treated as though we were wanted and appreciated.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lunchbob said:

I guess they are trying to hold up the prices, but I don't think it works like this. Prices fluctuate. The laws are supposed to be stable. But, this is the start of the conversation. It will naturally spread to all of the other aspects of residency, ownership, villas, condos, etc...

A load of hot air,anyone whom has lived in Thailand for any length of time will be taking this with a pinch of salt,it will never happen!

• Like 1

And what about expats who have bought expensive property in Thailand years ago will they qualify?

or are they just trying to overload the glut onto the Chinese!

I have never seen a more chaotic disorganised clueless government as the one the poor Thai people are now suffering under

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me there's another point, why do condo etc., developers build very expensive units if there's no substantial market? 

I don't know how big a market it is but, obviously, there is a market for expensive condos.  I've mentioned several times a new condo project near my Bangkok condo called The Esse at Singha Complex. Average price per sqm is 286,000 baht.  35sqm 1 bedrooms can run 10MB and up.  2 bedrooms of 76sqm can go for 26MB.  Magnolias Waterfront Residences clock in at 288,000 baht a sqm.  

The cheapest condo at 98 Wireless, often mentioned as one of the most expensive condo projects in Bangkok, is 78MB on Hipflat.  644,000 baht a sqm.  One of the attractions to these projects is fewer units.  319 at Esse and only 77 units at 98 Wireless.  Before construction, the developer knows going in that it is going to need to find X number of buyers.  The developer of 98 Wireless, Sansiri, with substantial international contacts and a strong local reputation, felt it could find  those 77 buyers.   

It may actually be harder for some developers to find 1000 buyers for the 1000 units of 2MB to 3MB nondescript, small, lookalike, no view, low-rise condos in their projects, often in not prime locations in Pattaya.  I can think of probably a dozen of these projects at around 1000 units or more each.  Some have more than 1500 units.  That's a lot more buyers to find and it definitely needs to be a substantial market, which it isn't now. 

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Teaching their kids for almost 20 years, being married to a Thai, helping the whole extended family have a comfortable life, paying taxes and overpriced tickets to get into a national park, and spending roughly 20 million baht so far doesn't count.

Can I ask where you teach if you can spend 20 million baht here? How long have you been married to a Thai?

12 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I prefer an economical row house with a river view (Loei).  Like where my wife lived when we met.

image.jpeg.a2983b3a9dd71c2be92954efbf1ced62.jpeg

But I do like a standalone house like my Sis-in-Law's house.

image.png.386167738febef6edcf220823346487a.png

I like what she's done with the place. I think they call it shabby chic ????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Who wants to live in a shoebox. May as well live in a old peoples home . 

Like my own little space with a nice little lawn and a veg garden.

live happily with  my Lady and a nice mutt.  ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, quake said:

Never believe  a word they say.

They will go back on the deal a few years latter.

Never trust them over stuff like this,   ever, ever.

Buyer beware, This is Thailand.

Edited by quake

You can divide the world into foolish and not foolish. The foolish will rush in or complain and whinge about situations they got themselves into, or that life and situations are unfair, but the less foolish will just think, well that is one to be avoided. The wise old posters say dont put anything into Thailand you can't afford to lose, you could adjust this maxim to "dont wish to lose", however it is still sound advice. A good bank will have its main HQ and its backup data in a country that has political stability, climate stability, civil stability, geographical stability and as many stabilities as the risk assessment team can find. Some will see this as an opportunity, others will see this for what it is, a desperate sales pitch but there is never a free lunch and please try not to bore me with all your tales of how much you have already "invested" as this is just old and irrelevant and I am trying to enjoy my lunch ????

30 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

You can divide the world into foolish and not foolish. The foolish will rush in or complain and whinge about situations they got themselves into, or that life and situations are unfair, but the less foolish will just think, well that is one to be avoided. The wise old posters say dont put anything into Thailand you can't afford to lose, you could adjust this maxim to "dont wish to lose", however it is still sound advice. A good bank will have its main HQ and its backup data in a country that has political stability, climate stability, civil stability, geographical stability and as many stabilities as the risk assessment team can find. Some will see this as an opportunity, others will see this for what it is, a desperate sales pitch but there is never a free lunch and please try not to bore me with all your tales of how much you have already "invested" as this is just old and irrelevant and I am trying to enjoy my lunch ????

Lunch at 18:30 in Thailand, oops, Bs alert.

is sneering from afar, good for you. 

whats up didn't you get any for the last month in Kansas . :cheesy: :cheesy:

Edited by quake

12 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

They're starting to get desperate if they are doing this.  Letting dirty farangs get residency.  Who would have thought.????

Seriously, it's a great idea.  Several countries already do this. From a few years ago:

https://qz.com/31397/buy-a-home-get-a-visa-for-a-mere-e160000-you-can-become-a-spanish-resident/

This link is to an article from 2012, a bit more than a “few years ago”, so I doubt you can still get in on that deal for 160,000 euros. 

Edited by DBath

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

If they would be Serious . 

Why can't they give 5 year Visas/Extensions  now to everyone ? 

The people ,Expats,who Live/Reside here are spending all their money and keeping Thai Families  Alive .

Whats the difference ? the People and Expats will spend more then the 5 Mill Thb over a few years by Building Houses ,Buying Vehicles and what not and Lost More .