The week that was in Thailand news: Subjectivity, subject matter and loyal subjects

rooster59

"It’s well known – and obvious from many comments – that a lot of people don’t read past a headline"

And also that sometimes the information within the post itself doesn't go hand in hand with the headline! 

For instance (and this is only a theoretical example) the headline may read "Health Minister blasts dirty unwashed foreigners for spreading Covid-19 by not wearing masks"

When what he actually said, (according to the "theoretical" following text was "Health Minister blasts "dirty unwashed farangs for spreading Covid-19 by not wearing masks"

But of course, he would never say that anyway - would he?

When you say your readers are almost exclusively English speaking...I could not agree; it would be interesting to make some stats but you would get a large proportion of german\swedes/French/Italian etc etc as part of your daily readers. And at least 1 Swiss too ????

About the journalistic licence, or "skill" as you put it.

C'mon man!!

lol.

Say it how it is...

An English reporter reporting on Thai news has it absolutely stitched up for creating clickbait, if they are that way inclined.

1. Firstly, add a few well known but inflaming"key words" in the headline.

2.Take a bit of journalistic licence in the translation.

simple example, in the thai language..

if its said:

"mai chua farang"

or

"mai wai farang"

Can be translated it as:

i hate farang,

or

i have no respect for farangs

or up to the imagination for how hard you want to troll the translation.

The beauty of it is:

a. Most farangs dont know Thai language anyway, so it doesnt matter.

b. The farangs that do know Thai language have no idea what the Thai person was actually quoted as saying..

and usually couldnt be bothered looking up the Thai text in the Thai news to check if the translation has been trolled anyway.

easy-peasy!!

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

nother level of subjectivity is added by the posters. It’s well known – and obvious from many comments – that a lot of people don’t read past a headline (itself the pinnacle of subjectivity) and may not read the body of the story at all. Maybe they’re the sort that choose a pretty face at Nana then turn off the light worried at what they might find.

They head straight for comments often spreading their own particular bias slathering an extra layer of subjectivity for others of a similar bent to feed on like a pack of voracious soi-dogs forever perpetuating and exaggerating untruths. Even the subjective “fact” of the original story is ignored as things go from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Forgive us, oh master.   For we are just poor ignorant souls whose subjective comments do not even merit to be on the same page as thou.

• Haha 1

Another great conclusion of the weeks news,  I did notice that Sean Connery,s passing at 90 years

old,  was missed. I heard that he was the original James Bond, but I also liked his acting in Indiana Jones, and

Hunt for Red October, and lots of other movies. I also wonder if and when some international flights

will be going from Canada to Thailand, likely not until January 2021 at the earliest.  The 14 days

quarantine may still be the best for all, as it seems that some people have late symptoms.

If 10 days is the new normal, then the people should get one last check 5 or 10 days after 

their release to the wild.  I guess the majority of travellers will probably wait until the Winter

of 2021 2022, and when the vaccine should be out and about by then.  It will be a long cold

Winter this year for a lot of us frozen Canadians.

Geezer

• Like 1

17 hours ago, swisstree said:

When you say your readers are almost exclusively English speaking...I could not agree; it would be interesting to make some stats but you would get a large proportion of german\swedes/French/Italian etc etc as part of your daily readers. And at least 1 Swiss too ????

Would you be happier with  English reading?  It is a well-known fact that Germans/Swedes/Italians/French all have a modicum of the lingua franca as opposed the native speakers of English who have very little German/Swedish/etc.