10,000 Lantern release MaeJo Dhamma Centre 2020

BritManToo

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

And they just stay where they land are are visible for months afterwards, stuck in trees and laying on wasteland 

But you must understand, they are na rak, suay duay and sanook mak! :jap: ????

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And some more .......... not as many monks chanting, but the moon was very bright in the sky.

Then a drive along the klong to release our kratong at the local temple ........ that was packed with people.

IMG_20201031_201111.jpg

IMG_20201031_201343.jpg

IMG_20201031_202121.jpg

IMG_20201031_211608.jpg

IMG_20201031_211840.jpg

Selfies a poppin no doubt..lightiing up FB with posts and likes...a dirty farang free zone...mostly

Bringing happiness back to the people....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, onebir said:

Very pretty, but those cause all kinds of problems - fires & cattle ending up eating wires... that I know of.

Can't let a clean, pristine, livable environment get in the road of a little sanook, now, can we! :jap: Khup phoom!

"And they just stay where they land are are visible for months afterwards, stuck in trees and laying on wasteland"

Untrue. The rice paper-like material degrades very fast. Anyone actually familiar with the situation knows this. 

"Very pretty, but those cause all kinds of problems - fires & cattle ending up eating wires... that I know of."

I have have never heard of fires being started by lanterns, nor anything about animals eating wire...please provide links to verified information on your claims. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't really care, it was all very beautiful, and only one night a year, some foreigners think too much.

What makes you think some foreigners care whether or not you care? You wouldn’t be thinking too much would you?

• Haha 1

I did the krathongs with the family and then we headed into town on bikes to see what was going on. Got near the White House still quite a way before Rimping (bridge) and flipped a u-turn as way too crowded with bumper to bumper traffic. Only saw fireworks for sale. I really wanted a lantern but it was a no go. Glad you got one up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Can't let a clean, pristine, livable environment get in the road of a little sanook, now, can we! :jap: Khup phoom!

ooooh   you have thai donut as avatar! Is good with soy milk..alloy alloy.....gin kao laew?   sao baht--dee mak mak

39 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

ooooh   you have thai donut as avatar! Is good with soy milk..alloy alloy.....gin kao laew?   sao baht--dee mak mak

Strangely enough, it'd called patongo, how about that!

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't really care, it was all very beautiful, and only one night a year, some foreigners think too much.

Yes ,and some people only think about themselves and couldnt care less about anyone or anything else , as long as they get enjoyment, thats all they care/think about 

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes ,and some people only think about themselves and couldnt care less about anyone or anything else , as long as they get enjoyment, thats all they care/think about 

Why on earth do you have such a negativity about lanterns? They really do zero harm but give tons of people great feeling as is done for good luck and are extremely beautiful to see up in the air. If you talk about metal frames, then where do you think metal is extracted and made from? Natural in a sense! I was disappointed we could not find one to buy this year around CM and my house as I quite enjoy writing my name on it with my family and letting it rip into the sky. I hope you don't complain about the water festival as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

Why on earth do you have such a negativity about lanterns? They really do zero harm but give tons of people great feeling as is done for good luck and are extremely beautiful to see up in the air. If you talk about metal frames, then where do you think metal is extracted and made from? Natural in a sense! I was disappointed we could not find one to buy this year around CM and my house as I quite enjoy writing my name on it with my family and letting it rip into the sky. I hope you don't complain about the water festival as well.

I dont believe  in good luck , it may look nice at the time , but for  few months afterwards , the lanterns are still stuck in the trees and on roofs and wasteland .

I have seen it a few times when stupid people light lanterns beneath trees and electric wires and the lanterns burn themselves out caught in the wires  , also some people dont wait until the lanterns have enough hot air inside to become airborne and they quickly land , sometimes setting fire to peoples houses

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I dont believe  in good luck , it may look nice at the time , but for  few months afterwards , the lanterns are still stuck in the trees and on roofs and wasteland .

I have seen it a few times when stupid people light lanterns beneath trees and electric wires and the lanterns burn themselves out caught in the wires  , also some people dont wait until the lanterns have enough hot air inside to become airborne and they quickly land , sometimes setting fire to peoples houses

Oh Boy the Scrooge of Loy Krathong! How many times have you ever heard or actually seen an actual fire from them? The trees don't burn so easy or at all and the inherent danger is very close to nothing. Fireworks pose the biggest danger, but they are fun as well if used carefully. Years back I remember one getting caught in electrical lines and damaged the internet cable, but so what. Worst thing I saw was a Thai airways idiot pilot flying directly over CM near Charoen Meuang rd and the bridge about 6 -7 years ago as he/she altered the flight path to go directly over the celebration. It was obvious lanterns being sent up but the pilot disregarded the danger and flew right through the lanterns, and I mean right through the lanterns. Now that was scary to see but avoidable and it could only be because the pilot wanted to either think he/she was cool or show the passengers. If they did a different flight path round about then absolutely no problem.

I have had them land in my trees and yard and just deal with it as it is no big deal. 

Don't believe in good luck, bad luck or Karma, Yikes! Well me and the family sent our bad luck down the river in separate krathongs as we always do this year again. It is a part of a fun a past time and I am really sad that the CM governor took a kiss <deleted> wanting to seem caring approach that there is a real danger from lanterns.

Sorry, but I just get a little irked by foreigners who are anti festivals like Loy Krathong and the things people do to have fun as well as others complaining about the water festival. 

Last night before bed I looked out just to see the lanterns in the air. I love them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Sorry, but I just get a little irked by foreigners who are anti festivals like Loy Krathong and the things people do to have fun as well as others complaining about the water festival. 

I really am not anti festival or anti anything , you go ahead and light your lanterns and have water fights and enjoy the good luck coming your way 

On 11/1/2020 at 8:43 AM, Bill97 said:
On 11/1/2020 at 7:51 AM, CorpusChristie said:

What about the metal frame and the wick, how long does that take to degrade ?

The frames are bamboo not metal.

the harder he tries......... the more he shows how little he knows .    

(the other one, not you bill  ????

Edited by rumak

31 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Last night before bed I looked out just to see the lanterns in the air. I love them.

Last night my family appeared with the clay 'hand grenade' fireworks (3 for 50bht).

Holy poop, they were frightening, we let them off on the village green and they left red hot glowing clay on the smoldering grass.

Very pretty though, burning sparks up in the air and falling everywhere.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Last night my family appeared with the clay 'hand grenade' fireworks (3 for 50bht).

Holy poop, they were frightening, we let them off on the village green and they left red hot glowing clay on the smoldering grass.

Very pretty though, burning sparks up in the air and falling everywhere.

Yep those are fun. My kids opted out with getting fireworks this year, but there was no lack of them being fired up on the Saturday in my area. I actually had a good time watching and hearing them later Saturday night while pounding some brewskies and wine in my backyard. Next year!