Why Thai women get sick after being wet by the rain ? something special in Thailand ?

solafr

Larger water droplets...ie rain (or water vapor in cooler weather climates) allow the virus to survive longer than it would otherwise in the air...this why we have winter flu in the UK......cold air=larger water droplets=greater exposure to the virus

Just a thought.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:36 AM, solafr said:

Is there any reason to be sick after being wet by the rain ? Even when raining it's never cold here, so why being sick ?

Maybe not cold to you, to them it's a real temperature change.

Interesting question, many years ago I was in India and a lady told me not to take the rain because it is dangerous and I saw that when it arrived everyone would take cover, I always wondered why, I have taken rain many times in Thailand and never had problems, maybe it's a matter of genes in Asians do not resist temperature quickly changes.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Mine gets a bad headache and has to get in the shower asp. Really panics when she gets caught in rain without a brolly. Don't know what she'd be like in the UK.

Same same as long as she can take a shower 

On 11/1/2020 at 1:07 AM, TC17 said:

Great question!   My wife is very tough, not frail, and yet the same thing happens.  A stuffy nose for a day or two.   I wonder if it is real or psychological.  But she seems to have real symptoms of a sinus infection.  

Beleif can make things happen...

On 11/1/2020 at 8:11 AM, dimitriv said:

I never saw a cold shower in Thailand. Even without heating the water it is already hot.

In my home country a cold shower in winter will be only a couple of degrees away from freezing.

I liked the way they heat the water in the shower in Thailand, with a small electrical device heating the water only when it is needed. Thought about trying it in my home country, till I realized that it will not work in colder climates because it makes the water only a couple of degrees more hot.

I live in the North of Thailand and believe me during the cool season starting now the water is cold.

I don’t know which country you are from but they use the same type  of  hot water heaters in the UK as  they use here but higher wattage.

If you turn them to full heat you would be burned.

• Like 1

It's not just Thais. In September 1983, still in my 20s, I canoed the Boundary Waters on the US/Canada border. Our last night out, we pitched our tent on some thick, lush grass. During the night, there was a big storm. We realized why the grass was so healthy. It was a low spot and well-watered. I slept in an inch of water. Not cold if I didn't move, but if I did, the cold water moved in until my body heat warmed it up again. I woke up with a tickle in my throat. It developed into bronchitis and I coughed until Thanksgiving. My ribs ached from coughing. 

Learned my lesson. Last Friday, I golfed in a pretty steady drizzle in Chiang Mai, but I had planned ahead and brought a complete change of clothes. Went straight to a warm shower to shake off the chill. 

On 11/1/2020 at 4:15 AM, FritsSikkink said:

If you live here for a while, you have the same. The rain together with the wind will feel cold, then getting into a air con area, will get you a cold. 

I understood that the common cold is a virus, so how does a change in temperature infect you.

I am sure that one of the TV medical experts can explain.

On 11/1/2020 at 3:08 AM, samsensam said:

i guess it depends on the class of thai you hang out with. i've never dated anyone who didnt have one and as far as i know all my thai friends all have hot showers

We have them, but my wife still has a large plastic barrel in the shower for her. The tap water (shower head and hose) is only used to fill up the barrel mostly (although I'm pretty sure she uses it to flush her nether regions. Otherwise she says the tap water is too hot.

On topic, male Thai friend and I got caught in a down pour playing golf. Another falang friend with us predicted the Thai would have a cold the next day, and he did. You know, cold (cornavirus) and the flu germs linger everywhere...  "Someone's" always got a cold during the rainy season. They sit under the same rain protection roofs (bus stops, toilets, caddie shacks, etc,). They get wet, chilled, the resistance drops. boom they get a cold. It happens.

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2020 at 4:15 AM, FritsSikkink said:

If you live here for a while, you have the same. The rain together with the wind will feel cold, then getting into a air con area, will get you a cold. 

I do also. I've spent 18 years now in hot climates, but only started to get this problem since being in Thailand’s climate. 

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Might not have the cold than but will not feel well.

I agree. If I sit with shirt off outside as the evening cools I start to sneeze violently after a while, and it lasts all night. Just like a streaming cold, eyes as well. It's not hay fever, although I get it nowadays I take antihistamine every day in Thailand. 

Edited by Speedhump

On 11/1/2020 at 8:27 AM, KannikaP said:

Rubbish. A cold comes from a virus not from the air-con. It's an old wive's tale.

Sinusitis or rhinitus can result is suceptbility to cstching a cold, just as a cold can turn intoma bacterial infection.

On 11/1/2020 at 3:40 AM, Kadilo said:

What’s the temperature of the water got to do with class? Not everyone wants a hot shower at the end of a hot sticky day. 

The ability to afford having the option.

6 hours ago, Jorgendk said:

Let's face it... Impossible to understand women.
Impossible to under stand Thais.
How do you expect to understand Thai women?

I've found it very easy to understand Thai women. All the ones I meet want to know if I have a wife or GF. If I said no, they would be asking if they could take care of me. They just want to be taken care of in return.

• Like 1

Thais are more sensitive to cold, my GF won't swim in winter here.

When I took my GF to Australia, it was spring running into summer. Still too cold for her at 20 C. She was huddled up next to me every night seeking my body warmth.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 2:29 PM, KannikaP said:

You can get electric showers all over the world with power up to 8 or 9 kWatts. That will heat the water, and your electricity bill as well.

But depending on how much you use hot water, whether it is cheaper than storing 30 or 40 gallons of hot water at close to boiling point 24/7.  Usually it will be cheaper because it only supplies one shower  head and not kitchen sinks, baths  or hand basins 

• Like 1

I'm scared to read all the posts to this thread.

But the common cold is a virus. No amount of rain makes a Thai or farang more susceptible to contracting it.

I suspect it's part of the same syndrome that rural Thai's believe that at the first clap of thunder you close down your cellphone for fear of being electrocuted.

• Like 1