Volunteer visas a safe switch?

They seem to occupy the same gray area the old EDs once held for long stayers like myself who don't qualify for retirement or marriage visas.

You guys think they're safe for a full year? The part that unnerves me is that there's no 90 day checkin requirement, unless I misheard. Big fee to get the visa but then after that you have a full year with no hassle.

OP, a friend of mine obtained one.

Not cheap but all legit. He will be doing 90 day reports. Helps if you entered Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa as simple process for agent to obtain non O and subsequent annual extension. All up you end up with ~ 15 months..

• Like 2

On 11/1/2020 at 1:07 AM, Hal65 said:

You guys think they're safe for a full year? The part that unnerves me is that there's no 90 day checkin requirement, unless I misheard. Big fee to get the visa but then after that you have a full year with no hassle.

No hassle as long as you volunteer at something or are you asking about a visa to just hang-out for a year?

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

No hassle as long as you volunteer at something or are you asking about a visa to just hang-out for a year?

Yeah, essentially an ED replacement. In Pattaya if you paid 5k instead of 2k there was no school check by immigration (Other provinces either don't check or strictly check without an option to pay for no check).

I have heard of no such arrangement regarding the volunteer visa. All the agents say no volunteer work is needed though.

I guess it will be 'ok but no guarantee' just like it has always been on these gray area visas. I've gotten used to it by now. The world has bigger problems than Visa crackdowns at the moment

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Yeah, essentially an ED replacement. In Pattaya if you paid 5k instead of 2k there was no school check by immigration (Other provinces either don't check or strictly check without an option to pay for no check).

I have heard of no such arrangement regarding the volunteer visa. All the agents say no volunteer work is needed though.

I guess it will be 'ok but no guarantee' just like it has always been on these gray area visas. I've gotten used to it by now. The world has bigger problems than Visa crackdowns at the moment

Your talking about 2 different things.

How did you enter Thailand. Visa exempt, tourist visa, or ?.

The volunteering option is where agent obtains you a non O. (90days). Subsequently will obtain annual extension based on volunteering. That will give you a stay of ~ 15 months. 

Correct you will NOT be doing any volunteering. Not cheap. Approx 50k.

1 minute ago, johnray said:

I can't think of any legitimate volunteer work in Thailand.

There are many legit volunteer options that are not obtained by agent. They have formal requirements such as letter from organization etc. A popular one is Soi Dogs in Phuket. Not far from airport. Many others. 

This thread is not about those. 

• Like 2

Sure it`s a grey area, but there is close to zero risk UNTIL you leave TH and try to reenter. Let`s say TH reopens the borders next April/May and a volunteer visa holder decides to fly over to Vietnam for 2-3 days. He/she should prepared for some hassle at the immigration at both BKK Airports, Phuket and Krabi. Especially, if that person has a long-stay history in TH without a proper long-stay visa.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

Sure it`s a grey area, but there is close to zero risk UNTIL you leave TH and try to reenter. Let`s say TH reopens the borders next April/May and a volunteer visa holder decides to fly over to Vietnam for 2-3 days. He/she should prepared for some hassle at the immigration at both BKK Airports, Phuket and Krabi. Especially, if that person has a long-stay history in TH without a proper long-stay visa.

You just making this stuff up. Please post facts. I'm guessing a link to a post or thread won't occur. 

So you gathered this information where.

So your wild guess is that purchase of reentry permit for weekend in Vietnam is not possible?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You just making this stuff up. Please post facts. I'm guessing a link to a post or thread won't occur. 

So you gathered this information where.

So your wild guess is that purchase of reentry permit for weekend in Vietnam is not possible?

No you didn't get my point. There may be problem, when you re-enter. Of course you can purchase the re-entry permit. I didn`t make that up, as I know personally a person who got his volunteer visa checked. Same as some IOs who started to talk in Thai to ED Visa students, accused METV holder of working illegally etc.  Ok , that was all pre-covid, but no one knows how and if IOs changed their attitude (once the borders re-open to 100%)

However, I said that the volunteer visa is a low risk long-stay option, if you want to stay in TH for the next 12-15months. That's it!

Edited by SpanishExpat
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

No you didn't get my point. There may be problem, when you re-enter. Of course you can purchase the re-entry permit. I didn`t make that up, as I know personally a person who got his volunteer visa checked. Same as some IOs who started to talk in Thai to ED Visa students, accused METV holder of working illegally etc. 

However, I said that the volunteer visa is a low risk long-stay option, if you want to stay in TH for the next 12-15months. That's it!

That's a sandwich with moving parts. 

The reentry permit would/could be purchased at airport. One thing that would need to be in order in 90 report (maybe). Should be doing those anyway. 

Upon reentry the io will look at reentry permit. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

what I see is continuing counseling on how to break Thai laws..

No go back and read your post.

You complained about "I see flip flop rules regarding posts about using agents".

Now it's about advice from members that you refer to as "counseling". Lovely side step.

15 minutes ago, abonsa said:

Can we volunteer to help the stray dogs ?

Yes. 

There is organization in Phuket. Nai Yang is area that Soi Dog have volunteering. They stay hotels in that area and get picked up by Soi Dog bus every morning. Note that they pay to volunteer. Mainly good hearted backpacker type. Spoken to many. They upbeat crowd. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Nah, I don't agree with this constant 'lets **** over the system, it doesn't apply to me or my mates BS. There's too much human trash that ends up in this country as it is without a "how to avoid a countries laws" manual being flogged too. 

Thinking you have shown your true colours.

Very sad chap

• Like 2