Volunteer visas a safe switch?

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. 

There is organization in Phuket. Nai Yang is area that Soi Dog have volunteering. They stay hotels in that area and get picked up by Soi Dog bus every morning. Note that they pay to volunteer. Mainly good hearted backpacker type. Spoken to many. They upbeat crowd. 

I mean officially. Because I already help many stray dogs but working illegally ????

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You complained about "I see flip flop rules regarding posts about using agents".

No he never used those words, that is you who used those words.

Talking about someone showing his real colours......

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, abonsa said:

and how much for a 1 year volunteer visa with agent ?

no need to meet any official ?

The 4 agents i've spoken to want 40,000 to 48,000 THB. Plus 2 passport photos and to hold your passport, presumably for 1-2 weeks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your talking about 2 different things.

How did you enter Thailand. Visa exempt, tourist visa, or ?.

The volunteering option is where agent obtains you a non O. (90days). Subsequently will obtain annual extension based on volunteering. That will give you a stay of ~ 15 months. 

Correct you will NOT be doing any volunteering. Not cheap. Approx 50k.

I'm in country on ED visa.

UbonJoe said my ED can not be switched to Volunteer in country, and he probably has the best info for these things in a legal sense. But all 4 agents confirmed it was possible which leads me to believe there is a gray/black way of doing it, at least that's what was suggested in another thread.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, johnray said:

I can't think of any legitimate volunteer work in Thailand.

I pulled it off years ago in Cm...I was a radio host for a english program...had to go to BKK to get it...what a pain in the butt..they did NOT want to give me that visa..luckily the radio program guy was a thai lawyer...

In hindsight wouldnt do it again as it was a royal hassle as was getting my work visa and work permit...ugh

9 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I'm in country on ED visa.

UbonJoe said my ED can not be switched to Volunteer in country, and he probably has the best info for these things in a legal sense. But all 4 agents confirmed it was possible which leads me to believe there is a gray/black way of doing it, at least that's what was suggested in another thread.

You already have a non-immigrant visa entry, so the reason of your extension CAN be changed from studying to volunteering. You probably wouldn't be able to find an IO willing to do this on your own and without offering an incentive though. With an agent that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

I had Type-O visas based on volunteering for an NGO for nearly 4 years. This wasn't a scam-I was really working there for them.  Initially, I had single-entry ones and had to leave the country to get a new one every 90 days. I was then able to get 1-year multiple entry Type-O's at certain Thai consulates in the US. That required me to leave Thailand every 90 days but I didn't have to get a new visa-just stamp out and come right back in.   After 2 years, I even got a work permit, though I never drew a salary. The NGO told me that with the WP, I could apply for yearly extensions of stay and then only have to do 90-reports at the local IO (no having to leave the country).  In the end, I didn't wind up doing that, though.

The big fee you mention and no 90-day report or having to leave the country periodically sounds dodgy to me. It's probably one of those "agent pays a bribe to a willing IO" things. That would be illegal and you'd have to decide if you want to take the risk or not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thinking you have shown your true colours.

Very sad chap

what I find is sad is how the laws concerning immigration are being trashed by foreigners. This inevitably reflects on the majority of us in this country that believe there is a difference between right and wrong, legal and illegal. We followed the laws in our own countries prior to landing here and we continue to follow the rules and regulations that are in place for those who wish to reside long term in this country. What really galls me is that many that break Thai law by employing a middle man to corrupt the system are the ones banging the pots loudest at illegal visitors in their own country. You really can't get more hypocritical than that. I'm tired of these criminals causing the rest of us to be painted with 'scamming foreigner' brush, it's onerous enough to satisfy the requirements laid out in Thai law. Go break the laws somewhere else, can't you tell they don't want you here?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

what I find is sad is how the laws concerning immigration are being trashed by foreigners.

What's sad is inane rants like yours. There's no rule of law in Thailand, the law is whatever the official you deal with says it is. Hence the vastly different experiences of people shared here. Foreigners generally don't trash Thai laws, but their inconsistent application, ranging from capricious to corrupt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"..... by employing a middle man to corrupt the system are the ones ......"

You embarrassing yourself. The "middle man" does not wear a trench coat and hang out on corners, rather they are companies with offices throughout Thailand. Some of which are sponsors of tv.

Jot down all their addresses and rush it off to police. Or direct immigration to agent websites and Facebook accounts. 

FWIW Personally I have never used or needed an agent. 

I'm only posting on this thread to advise OP re his question.

On the other hand your here to push a very boring agenda.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of legit, non-criminals want into the country. I personally want to go to find work and make a living. I have no reason to break the law, but fully understand that the law seems unclear or 'mixed up' when it comes to specific laws and/or translation. Laws are there in place for a reason, but I certainly do not want to spend travel pay + $4000 or more CAD just to find work. I am certainly not middle class so options seem VERY limited.