Study finds young Thais hitting puberty sooner

rooster59

Study finds young Thais hitting puberty sooner

Praphorn Praphornkul

a389a610987235e78c7b25a8df13b760_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thai Health Promotion Foundation has found Thai girls are entering puberty at an increasingly early age with the average age now being 11 years old and the youngest cases at 7, posing risks to their growth and health as well as the possibility for unwanted pregnancy.

The foundation recently completed a study into puberty among Thai youth and its effects on the mind and body.

A representative of the College of Population Studies from Chulalongkorn University reported that the study found Thai children were entering into puberty at a progressively earlier age than before. Out of 8,000 children studied, menstruation among female subjects began as early as 7 years of age with the latest at 16. The average age was 11 years. The early onset of puberty resulted in a stunting of growth with many of the girls not reaching their optimal genetic height and others ceasing to grow at the age of 13. Physicians involved in the study noted that earlier development of breasts among children could also put them at greater risk of breast cancer. They also pointed out the risk of emotional trauma, as the fast development made many of the children feel isolated. In some cases, the girls became victims of sexual molestation as they were unequipped to safeguard themselves. A lack of sexual knowledge also led some to becoming teenage mothers.

Director of the foundation’s Youth and Family Health Support Office Nattaya Boonpakdee, says the trend is due to genetic and behavioral changes, the consumption of processed foods and supplements and the use of cosmetic pharmaceuticals. It is hoped the findings will lead to policies relevant to child health as well as a push against sexual predation and teen pregnancy.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-11-01

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't seen any pregnant 11 year olds around here...yet.  Plenty of 14, 15 and 16 year olds with baby bulges.  

But it's not a new thing.  There are plenty of early 20's girls with 3 or 4 kids.  

But I agree that the introduction of Western food has increased the fat levels of some kids way past what it should be.  Obesity is a growing problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

I haven't seen any pregnant 11 year olds around here...yet.  Plenty of 14, 15 and 16 year olds with baby bulges.  

But it's not a new thing.  There are plenty of early 20's girls with 3 or 4 kids.  

But I agree that the introduction of Western food has increased the fat levels of some kids way past what it should be.  Obesity is a growing problem.

Where I live just need to go in 7/11 early morning see the kids buying junk food I guess they have to much money down here in Phuket 

4 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

In the prathom (primary) school I used to teach at there would be a few pregnancies each year, almost invariably caused by family members, who should ideally be protecting the girls.