Greek Orthodox priest shot and wounded at church in France

rooster59

Greek Orthodox priest shot and wounded at church in France

2020-10-31T164910Z_1_LYNXMPEG9U0H7_RTROPTP_4_FRANCE-SECURITY-LYON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A light installation is seen in 2015 on the banks of the Saone River in Lyon, France, to pay tribute to the victims of Islamist attacks in Paris, December 8, 2015. REUTERS/Robert Pratta/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - A Greek Orthodox priest was shot and badly wounded on Saturday at a church in the French city of Lyon by an assailant who then fled, a police source and witnesses said.

There was no clear indication of a motive in the hours after the attack, and officials gave no indication that it was terrorism-related. Police and judicial sources said anti-terrorism prosecutors had not been brought in.

The priest was fired on twice at around 4 p.m. (1500 GMT) as he was closing the church, and he was being treated for life-threatening injuries, the police source said.

Witnesses said the church, in the centre of the city, was Greek Orthodox. Another police source said the priest was of Greek nationality, and had been able to tell emergency services as they arrived that he had not recognised his assailant.

A Greek government official identified the priest as Nikolaos Kakavelakis.

A suspect was arrested several hours later at a kebab shop in Lyon and placed in police custody, the first police source said. There was no confirmation that the person was the suspected assailant, however, nor any indication whether police were still looking for someone else.

A source at the prosecutor's office in Lyon said it had opened an investigation into attempted murder, and local authorities said the motive for the attack was not immediately clear.

The incident came two days after a man shouting "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Greatest) beheaded a woman and killed two other people in a church in Nice.

Two weeks ago, a schoolteacher in a Paris suburb was beheaded by an 18-year-old attacker who was apparently incensed by the teacher showing a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammad during a class.

Government ministers had warned that there could be other Islamist militant attacks. President Emmanuel Macron has deployed thousands of soldiers to protect sites such as places of worship and schools.

(Reporting by Catherine Lagrange and Sarah White; Writing by Kevin Liffey; Editing by Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-01

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, Opl said:

Why Islamophobia?  Did the Greek Orthodox Priest  give a sermon about Free Speech? 

At this time nobody can say - but I very doubt he used the infamous cartoons   

Both attacks in Nice and Lyon have not yet been confirmed as Islamic terrorist attacks by French justice.

The Tunesian migrant was found with 3 knives. 2 other suspects that live in Nice were also arrested. Only one knife was used according to police reports. For sure, one of the 3 shouted “Allah Akbar”. Real motive not yet confirmed.

The Greek Orthodox priest had been in judicial conflict with the previous priest of the Orthodox church. The gun has not yet been found on the suspect of the kebab restaurant. Real motive not yet confirmed.

Islamophobia also includes false prejudices.

• Like 1

The orthodox Greek church is a "branch" of the congregation of believers in Christianity.  The Orthodox Catholic Church was born from the definitive separation from the Christian Church, consequently these are also religious enemies of Islam since Islam only accepts its prophet as the only God.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Hey I eat kebabs and I am not Muslim

I do like a good kebab. But in sympathy for the greek guy i also do love a good souvlaki. 

Edited by Sujo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Not it doesnt.

The prophet is not considered a god, but a prophet, like jesus etc. Islam also has the same prophets as christians etc. But they believe mohhammed to be the only true prophet because he was the last one.

Islam and christians share the same god.

You’re right, I expressed myself badly in the English translation. I meant that Orthodox Catholics can be in the same spotlight as Christians

Edited by Tarteso

1 hour ago, Thorgal said:

Both attacks in Nice and Lyon have not yet been confirmed as Islamic terrorist attacks by French justice.

The Tunesian migrant was found with 3 knives. 2 other suspects that live in Nice were also arrested. Only one knife was used according to police reports. For sure, one of the 3 shouted “Allah Akbar”. Real motive not yet confirmed.

The Greek Orthodox priest had been in judicial conflict with the previous priest of the Orthodox church. The gun has not yet been found on the suspect of the kebab restaurant. Real motive not yet confirmed.

Islamophobia also includes false prejudices.

After so many terrorist attacks of muslim-origin... chance it was just this time done by a Hindu, Boeddhist, Taoist, Confusionist, Voodoo, polynesian native,  dark brown -African, Indo-Chinan origin, etc  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_France   

If also this president does not be successful, I already know the name of the next: La Pen

11 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

You’re right, I expressed myself badly in the English translation. I meant that Orthodox Catholics can be in the same spotlight as Christians

No prob, its cool. 

I will add not all muslims use allah. In malaysia they use tuhan, but interchangeable. Some do, some dont.

But if im walking out of the bar in kl.and i hear anyone say it im faster than usain bolt out of there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

After so many terrorist attacks of muslim-origin... chance it was just this time done by a Hindu, Boeddhist, Taoist, Confusionist, Voodoo, polynesian native,  dark brown -African, Indo-Chinan origin, etc  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_France   

If also this president does not be successful, I already know the name of the next: La Pen

I’m not looking for answers on wikipedia.

French police takes long time determining if the suspect of the kebab restaurant has traces of gunpowder or not.

5 hours ago, Opl said:

Why Islamophobia?  Did the Greek Orthodox Priest  give a sermon about Free Speech? 

At this time nobody can say - but I very doubt he used the infamous cartoons   

So what if he did?

How many depictions are out there, mocking Jesus and Christianity? The Life of Brian, just to name one. The Simpsons made fun of God, etc.

I don't recall ANYONE getting murdered (let alone physically assaulted) over any of it. There is stuff out there mocking Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.

It's only ever a problem with the "religion of peace". Ever since Leftist traitors in academia started depicting the Crusades as a "violent, unprovoked assault on the Islamic World" (when in reality they were in retaliation for constant incursions by Islam into Christian territory, even into the HEART of Western Europe, starting 600 years earlier, though they were violent...), etc.,  and Muslims have discovered how sensitive many people are to being called "islamophobic", it's always about what we have done wrong to them, rather than their over the top violent reactions in return.

Just throw out the term "islamophobia" (like BLM, Antifa, etc. throw out "racism"/"systemic racism" and "Fascism"), and all is well, any sensible debate will mostly stop. I hope Macron is being sincere, and not just fishing for right winger votes, ahead of the election. Still, he is to blame for all of this as well, as he is a huge part of the problem (having allowed all these people to come in unchecked), along with chubby Futti Ferkel errr Mutti Merkel** typo....

I'm glad though, that all this is happening, and that Erdogan, etc. are throwing fuel to the flames. Just like with the MIMIMIMI WAYCISM, the constant accusations of "hate of Muslims", "islamophobia", etc. these words are losing their power over people. Well, over some anyway (I must resist the urge, to use descriptive terms for those, who still cling to them... don't want another temp loss of posting priviledges...). It shows the true face, of this "religion of peace", it shows the true face, of many of these recent arrivals, and of even of some of those, who have been here for decades, and their blatant refusal to accept our societal norms, our way of life, our rights, etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FarangULong said:

I hope Macron is being sincere, and not just fishing for right winger votes, ahead of the election.

Macron has named the causes, and there is a counter-society in motion against France in France;  this government has to take significant actions immediately to give his words ( "fear must change sides") some sense and substance.

Erdogan and Muslim leaders from all over the world have shown the ugly face of the threat, not anymore the continual erosion strategy undercover, but the open encouragment to fatwas against us.

IMO it's more important to focus on expressing our core values, our identity, our heritage, all that makes us French ( from all roots), rather than losing our energy on trying to sort out Islam from Islamism,  in vain, it's the same thing. And it's not part of our identity anyway. Do you imagine the Japanese doing it ? No - so why should we? It's a trap. As well so called Islamophobia is a trick to bring  Blasphemy back on the table under an other name.

We've got to work on our strenghts, not spoil our intelligence on BS      

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Opl said:

Macron has named the causes, and there is a counter-society in motion against France in France;  this government has to take significant actions immediately to give his words ( "fear must change sides") some sense.

Erdogan and Muslim leaders from all over the world have shown the ugly face of the threat not anymore the continual erosion strategy undercover, but publicly encouraging fatwa against us.

IMO it's more important to focus on expressing our core values, our identity, our heritage, all that makes us French ( from all roots), rather than losing our energy on trying to sort out Islam from Islamism,  in vain, it's the same thing.

We've got to work on our strenghts, not spoil our intelligence on BS      

I'm German, I know all about parallel societies, Clans (I mean family clans, often with mafia-like structures, not gaming clans or the Scottish type), the problems of islamisation etc.

Many of them with 10+ kids.. (the one wife of a clan head 18 kids, 100s of grandchildren), incest (cousin marriage, leading to financial strain on our health systems, and ensuring bad integration, bad employment chances, etc.). They say "it's the fastest growing religion", as if that's due to conversions (yes, some do convert, even I considered it at one point, but not because I am fond of Islam, rather because I am disappointed in how our societies have developped in the West, lack of familial closeness - not close enough for incest, but at least real support and sticking together tight, like they do - and due to it being one of the few groups of people, where it's still possible to find a potential wife, that has NOT been ran through; but I abandoned that thought rather quickly), rather than their procreation habits....

That, along with unhindered mass migrations, makes it only a matter of time and simple numbers game, before it's too late. The speed with which the pu*sification of the Western male is advancing, is also a problem in that regard.

While our Muslim areas are not yet as bad as the banlieus in Paris (I did Vigipirate in the late 2000s... I've seen Marseille also, and some other places, that made me question whether I was still in Europe) and other no go zones in France, we are headed down the same route. And at least French police still has balls. Our Police is getting more and more castrated. We've had incidents of Muslim men calling up friends and family, if one of theirs is being detained or arrested, with 20+ showing up in no time to surround police and attempt (sometimes successfully) to stop them from carrying out their duties via numbers, intimidation and sometimes even violence/force. All the while hurling non stop abuse and accusations of racism and islamophobia.

But I will only believe Macron, once he does more than speak a few nice sounding words, and kick out some hate preachers and close a few mosques (the problem with that - another problem we have here -, is that they then resort to illegal underground mosques... and training imams locally is nice and well, but that's a solution for the future, what about all the Saudi trained Imams that are already here in Europe?!?). Remember, Muslims are a big group in places like France, and the Block vote is a real and powerful thing. That might sway him off his path, hwen it comes down to it. And while the French might be momentarily upset over these killings, if the violence stops for some time, so will their uproar, and most people will go back to not carrying again...

They can't even live with each other in peace, and refrain from speaking hate against one another. A former work colleague of mine, at that time 22 years old and seemingly well integrated... he spoke German without foreign accent (high German even), in university etc... at one point we got to talk randomly about Shia (he is Sunni), and he said "well I heard (I am fairly sure I can guess he heard that in the Mosque) they have this weird holiday, where they make out with their female relatives, even their mother, aunt, etc. That's so disgusting!". If they preach this kind of hate against fellow Muslims (but of a different denomination), can you imagine the filth and lies they will say about Christians/Agnostic/Atheists?? I'm glad we had this random conversation, because otherwise I would've assumed, that he was a well integrated Muslim, but secular and moderate. Believing in that kind of filth, and repeating it as fact, doesn't sound very moderate, does it?!

So yes, it would be a huge waste of time and resources, to try and filther islamist from muslim. Better to close the hatches, while we still can, and do our best to integrate what we already have here, and remove what proves to be unable or unwilling to do so...

• Like 2

"This is Islam, an absurd theology of an immoral Bedouin, a rotting corpse which poisons our lives." - Mustafa Kemal Attatürk

I know the leftie Islam apologists at wikiquote and wikipedia removed the quote, but he said it according to Benoist Mechin (French Historian), according to Pasalarin Kavgasi (the notes of Commander Kazim Karabekir) etc...

He would turn in his grave, seeing today's Turkey and Erdogan, as he was the one to make Turkey secular, lead it into the modern world, curtailed the power of the clergy, raised education levels, etc...

39 minutes ago, FarangULong said:

While our Muslim areas are not yet as bad as the banlieus in Paris

I've been working in Consulting on how to revitalize main streets in those suburbs with over 90 different nationalities, and 80% of them Muslim.. 20mn by UBahn from the center of Paris, so I have the same insight you gave in your posts, plus some observations on how different ethnic communities compete on the same territory. French governement has been pouring Bllions of cash to renovate those areas since decades, for "community Building" projects.. etc, it's all like throwing money by the window.There is no miracle. 

I've been  hoping Germany would really succeed.       

Edited by Opl

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

You will mean, it's not a secret where to look for them?

i've read they found a suspect .. in a kebab restaurant - but no other detail.

Edited by Opl

26 minutes ago, FarangULong said:

"This is Islam, an absurd theology of an immoral Bedouin, a rotting corpse which poisons our lives." - Mustafa Kemal Attatürk

I know the leftie Islam apologists at wikiquote and wikipedia removed the quote, but he said it according to Benoist Mechin (French Historian), according to Pasalarin Kavgasi (the notes of Commander Kazim Karabekir) etc...

He would turn in his grave, seeing today's Turkey and Erdogan, as he was the one to make Turkey secular, lead it into the modern world, curtailed the power of the clergy, raised education levels, etc...

That's why Erdo is trying to undo everything Kemal had done, piece by piece. He is the revisionists' wet dream. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Susco said:

You will mean, it's not a secret where to look for them?

I was referring to the type “When-it-quacks-like-a-duck” type of journalism of OP.

No confirmation was given from French authorities about the suspect, the weapon, etc.

Decent journalism would come forward with facts. Not with tons of probabilities around a kebab or other cases in which the islamist character has not yet been confirmed.

There’s a huge difference between a smoking gun and a smoking kebab. No problem if others don’t make that difference...

16 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

I was referring to the type “When-it-quacks-like-a-duck” type of journalism of OP.

No confirmation was given from French authorities about the suspect, the weapon, etc.

Decent journalism would come forward with facts. Not with tons of probabilities around a kebab or other cases in which the islamist character has not yet been confirmed.

There’s a huge difference between a smoking gun and a smoking kebab. No problem if others don’t make that difference...

Why did you right-on bring up "Islamophobia"?

( your post: With the increasing degree of islamophobia the last days it’s not difficult to find suspects in kebab restaurants.)

Edited by Opl