Early U.S. voting surges to new record as Trump, Biden make late push

rooster59

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Mostly white people who don't want to see people of color take over "their" country.

come on jeff.

i may not agree with things you say but you put forth very reasonable points a lot of time. this one you are putting it too simply. this goes deep into a human tribal sort of thing. hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and cultural development all rapidly changed in the course of what 100 years. for so long the majority of our species lived among *their* own. now all of a sudden this huge mix and integration. a complex subject with many differing angles and points. 

will you talk that freely about say japan ? or even thailand ? 

is japan racist in regards to their view on immigration and outsiders ? how about thailand ? 

its not so simple can we agree on that ? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

So Montana, which has more cows than people, has the same power to elect a leader as California.

One state has the same power as another.   What's the problem with that?

Different states have very different concerns.  If it was done on the popular vote, why would any candidate care about Montana?  They would just court California and ignore Montana's issues.  Candidates would focus purely on a handful of the largest states and small states would be left to fester.  Hence they have the same power in order to be an equal part of the union.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

One state has the same power as another.   What's the problem with that?

Different states have very different concerns.  If it was done on the popular vote, why would any candidate care about Montana?  They would just court California and ignore Montana's issues.  Candidates would focus purely on a handful of the largest states and small states would be left to fester.  Hence they have the same power in order to be an equal part of the union.

Worth a read.  Quite good.  It's a big problem that needs to be addressed.  Along with the senate.  Wyoming has 600,000 people, California has 40 million.  And each has 2 senators?  Not fair.

https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/bigideas/its-time-to-abolish-the-electoral-college/

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

Worth a read.  Quite good.  It's a big problem that needs to be addressed.  Along with the senate.  Wyoming has 600,000 people, California has 40 million.  And each has 2 senators?  Not fair.

https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/bigideas/its-time-to-abolish-the-electoral-college/

and what's the deal with two Dakota's 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mr mr said:

come on jeff.

i may not agree with things you say but you put forth very reasonable points a lot of time. this one you are putting it too simply. this goes deep into a human tribal sort of thing. hundreds of thousands of years of evolution and cultural development all rapidly changed in the course of what 100 years. for so long the majority of our species lived among *their* own. now all of a sudden this huge mix and integration. a complex subject with many differing angles and points. 

will you talk that freely about say japan ? or even thailand ? 

is japan racist in regards to their view on immigration and outsiders ? how about thailand ? 

its not so simple can we agree on that ? 

Very well put!  It's complicated.  But in the end, comes down to racism.  Look at Trump supporters.  Primarily white.  Obama's?  Primarily black. 

Japan is SUPER racist!  Been there many times.  Same with Thailand.  If it wasn't, we'd be allowed to become citizens, get permanent residency, own homes, start bank accounts easily.  But we can't.  Why?  They don't like outsiders.  Never have.

P.S. I'm partially a person of color.  Not enough to notice at first glance, but my father was 50% of color.  So I take these things seriously.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

the people in the more populous states have less power in the union

Do you mean they don't the have extra power you think they should have because there are more of them, and that's somehow not fair?

I don't see how they have less power.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

its called proportional representation. One man one vote. A small number of people collectively having the same power as a large number of people is grossly unfair and undemocratic. In the UK the boundaries of constituencies, the area that one member of parliament represents, are constantly under review, regularly changing to ensure that each MP has roughly the same number of constituents. Its the democratic way.

I guess once they shift all the state lines to ensure that all states have roughly the same number of people, the popular vote will make more sense.

They dont need to do that. The number of citizens a state has should be proportional to the number of senators that state returns. Simple. If the population of a state changes radically, adjust the number of senators that state returns. There is no real logic behind the senate having exactly 100 senators. I f there were 120 or 90 senators it would function exactly the same.

Edited by polpott

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Imo the president, the executive, should be elected based on popular vote. Congress should stay as it is, albeit the division of power and control congress has on executive should be improved and better defined. Senate should have it s power reduced, and should have more of a controlling function.

Speaking of which, is there such a thing as independent senators in the USA? In Australia, they quite often hold the balance of power. But then, getting elected as a senator depends less on how much money one has behind them, more on whether their policies strike a chord with the electorate.

A record early vote eh? Probably indicates how important this election is. Whichever way it goes I hope it does so decisively. Like it or not the condition of the USA is important on the world stage and if havoc was the result then probably many members here would suffer, me included, as our pensions would likely suffer (as well as Americans in general). Although my company pension was originally UK it is now owned/ governed by an American company and although I might be accused of being selfish my feelings are of practical nature and stability. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mr mr said:

can you imagine if the don actually wins ? o man the entertainment it will provide will be glorious. a few posters on here will look rather silly. 

Unlikely, but could happen given the most recent polls.

11 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

The only reason any voter would look silly is if they voted for the current liar and great divider of our nation.  If the US is to heal, Trump has to go.  In the infamous words of General Kelly, who guaranteed knows Trump better than anyone on this forum:

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/521507-john-kelly-called-trump-the-most-flawed-person-hes-ever-met-report

Former White House chief of staff, retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, has said that President Trump “is the most flawed person” he’s ever known, CNN reported.

"The depths of his dishonesty is just astounding to me. The dishonesty, the transactional nature of every relationship, though it's more pathetic than anything else. He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life," Kelly has told friends, the outlet reported.

BS.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

As a union of states, it makes perfect sense to me that each state should have equal power in electing the ruler of the union.  Otherwise a small state would have much less say than a larger one.

It seems perfectly democratic to me.

Larger by land area, or by population? It's not democratic if a state with less population carries the same clout as a state with a bigger population. That's not democracy, that's a clusterf##k.

How does it make perfect sense to you?

• Like 1