Phuket: "Graveyard Patong" - where even the 7-Eleven is shut

webfact

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Same sort of thread on the Samui, Pattaya and Chiang Mai subforums.

However it's only to be expected when apparently no tourists are coming and only local Thai tourists. Can't expect long stay expats to be picking up the slack.

I'd like to see some threads about Thai communities to see if they are having the same problems. I can't see Lamphun being a "ghost" town as hardly any farangs lived there and I never saw farang tourists.

I'd expect life to be much as it was before corona.

Phuket town is doing ok, We spent 3 days in Nakorn Si business as usual over there we've also been to Trang, Trang itself was ok but not the beach areas they were dead.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bdenner said:

An ideal time for the governments to do some seriously needed infrastructure improvements/repairs, eg. drainage, road and sidewalk upgrades, bury some of those unsightly cables etc.

They were fixing Patong beach road end July ... at least a small part .. other than this, investment seems scarce.

Phil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdenner said:

An ideal time for the governments to do some seriously needed infrastructure improvements/repairs, eg. drainage, road and sidewalk upgrades, bury some of those unsightly cables etc.

Help kick the economy in the ar$e by at least providing some employment opportunities.

I drove down the beach road yesterday, first time in a long time. I ve driven on some pretty awful roads in my time but the state of that road is ridiculous. 

Has anyone ever seen roads where manhole/drain covers have been correctly set in Thailand?  The covers in Kathu appear to be reset every 18 months or so, and each time no better - a lot of tax payers money getting wasted.

• Like 1

It is sad that places are having to close, and that people are losing their livlihoods...but, I have just arrived in Pattaya for a few days - and it is heaven.  Maybe a bit selfish on my part, but this is what it is right now.

• Like 2

I spent one month in Rawai. It’s nice with no farang but then again farang don’t go there. Family mart open. 7 open   Restaurants open.   

Its up to the remaining farang to tip 2-3x more to help the locals

i go 4x a year.  Love the place.  Quiet 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PJPom said:

I went to Patong for the first time a few weeks ago and have to say the photo does not exaggerate. The Hotel we stopped at was very well priced and room was excellent. We only walked down to the beach where we saw three other people, O K it was raining a little but to walk past endless closed shops and restaurants was quite depressing. For dinner we went to one of the two open restaurants, service was excellent, the staff outnumbered the diners by about three to one, two tables occupied out of maybe thirty. This is going to take some getting over, my town , Ao nang, is the same, a few Hotels have reopened but their profits are minimal if any, good luck to the Thai workers, they need it.

Couldn't agree more. Me and "Her Indoors" also went the other week for the first time. "Ghost town" is an understatement. Compared to Patong, Hua Hin is a teeming metropolis! 

2 hours ago, khunphil said:

They were fixing Patong beach road end July ... at least a small part .. other than this, investment seems scarce.

Phil.

Looks like they were making it worse, installing drainage and throwing a bit of tarmac on top.

If you think, apart from a couple of excursions, that strip along patong beach is the only thing visiting 2 week tourists see. It’s pretty shocking. There is always a manhole open, the pavement is so smashed to pieces it hurts to walk on, the electrical lines are like jungle creepers. About time something was done, demolish the tiny shops, widen the pavement, bury the power lines, turn it into the world class resort the government claim it to be for the rush of tourists that are queuing up to get in. 

• Haha 1