Phuket: "Graveyard Patong" - where even the 7-Eleven is shut

webfact

The construction mess on Patong beach road is related to the burying of all of the overhead electric and cable lines. The entire road from the hill at the south to the roundabout at the north has been dug up and the underground pipes, which will hold all of the cables, appear to now all be laid. The next step will be to actually take down all of the cables. 

When they did the same cable burying in Phuket Town they resurfaced the road when they were finished so I assume they will do the same thing on the beach road. 

• Like 2

Obviously the places catering simply for tourists are hurting, 

Same in Bangkok.but the "local bars & restaurants" are still full of locals.

hence Phuket doing better than Patong.

As to 7/11's...... bound to be closures everywhere partly due to CP Groups greed in always being at saturation levels

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Where I live I think the 7/11's are just about hanging in there, when I go in none of them are busy, I go in 2 or 3 different ones, upto now 2 family marts have closed shop and stripped all the fitting out.

Where I live there's a 9 day market within the temple grounds for Loy Krathong

2pm this afternoon it was pretty much full, 5pm onwards it will be heaving.

Also good to see was on each entrance a well organised team taking temperature checks and you're given a sticker, if you weren't wearing a mask you were given one and told to wear it.

IMG_20201031_130425.jpg

IMG_20201102_125247.jpg

IMG_20201102_130124.jpg

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Where i live near MaeJo University (12Km from Chiang Mai moat), everywhere is open as normal.

In the evenings all the restaurants are packed with students and young people. 

The shops and high street are busy, lots of traffic on the roads.

The old folk still meet for a drink and a chat on the village green at sunset.

If I didn't have to wear a mask to enter the bank/7-11/Tesco I'd not know anything was different.

As for Phuket, yeah I'd be up for a holiday there every 2-3 months from Chiang Mai, but the flight prices are prohibitive. AirAsia keeps sending me 990bht special offer internal flights emails, but whenever I look the cheap flights are non-existent.

How clever to compare Mae Jo (where 90% of people on the streets in evenings are students of the MJU) with tourist places ...

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Makoshark said:

I spent one month in Rawai. It’s nice with no farang but then again farang don’t go there. Family mart open. 7 open   Restaurants open.   

Its up to the remaining farang to tip 2-3x more to help the locals

i go 4x a year.  Love the place.  Quiet 

"It’s nice with no farang but then again farang don’t go there." Bit of an obvious statement?

"Its up to the remaining farang to tip 2-3x more to help the locals" So if there are "no farang", where do the remaining ones come from?

Great attitude! And next you'll be blaming "dirty unwashed farang" for causing it all in the first place!

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

Phuket Walking Street Market was very busy last night, with lots of food stalls, shops and craft stands doing good business. Mostly locals I suspect, and it was Loi Krathong, but nice to see some activity in the old city. I am visiting from CM  and most museums and many stores and shopping malls are open, but doing a quiet trade. 

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As for Phuket, yeah I'd be up for a holiday there every 2-3 months from Chiang Mai, but the flight prices are prohibitive. AirAsia keeps sending me 990bht special offer internal flights emails, but whenever I look the cheap flights are non-existent.

Yeah noticed the same and actually the only reason I did not travel down there already a few times since COVID. I know many who would go if flights weren't that expensive, even before COVID, it was cheaper to fly to KL or VN.

• Like 2

In Lamai, on Koh Samui about 7, 7-Elevens have shutdown, probably never to open again, has no one ever heard of the term "over provision" When the pandemic is over Thailand and especially the islands will rebalanced, the farang dead wood has gone already, maybe people need to realise that you don't really need 30 7 Elevens is a small area and a couple of hundred bars on one Soi, what may come of this is a bit quality instead of quantity ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

One less 7-11 is not major news. However, I understand the spirit of the story. Sad days head, not yet finished with this covid thing.

Yes John it’s a ghost. Sad n nothing gunna change soon I fear. 

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Where I live I think the 7/11's are just about hanging in there, when I go in none of them are busy, I go in 2 or 3 different ones, upto now 2 family marts have closed shop and stripped all the fitting out.

Business as usual in villages across Thailand mainly big tourist areas are the sufferers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Same sort of thread on the Samui, Pattaya and Chiang Mai subforums.

However it's only to be expected when apparently no tourists are coming and only local Thai tourists. Can't expect long stay expats to be picking up the slack.

I'd like to see some threads about Thai communities to see if they are having the same problems. I can't see Lamphun being a "ghost" town as hardly any farangs lived there and I never saw farang tourists.

I'd expect life to be much as it was before corona.

We are a Thai tourist area and the high season started earlier than usual because of the previous restrictions with people wanting to get out of Bangkok and up into the mountains. A popular resort near us would be averaging 2-3 busloads every day (normally that would only be on weekends). At times they are catering for 200 people a night (the wife supplies them with some vegetables)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

many business have closed including both 7 eleven and family mart right here at Asok BTS Sukhumvet area.

the other night there were five customers in Billboard GoGo and 37 dancers, 18 of them going around and around on the carousel with not much chance of getting off. pun intended.

a little known economic indicator that I use. 

In there purely for research purposes ???? A nasty job but hats off to you for making the effort. ????

Isn't it sad that everywhere in Thailand looks almost identical to the top photo in this article?

Concrete and overhead wires, peeling paint, etc.

At least in America, different places look different.

Capitola, California looks different than Santa Barbara, California.

Santa Fe, New Mexico looks different than Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.

I'm thinking about putting up my own road sign at the turnoff to my wife's parents house, because I keep missing the turn BECAUSE IT ALL LOOKS THE SAME. ????

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Phuket town is doing ok, We spent 3 days in Nakorn Si business as usual over there we've also been to Trang, Trang itself was ok but not the beach areas they were dead.

Quite simple, let the European people who live in Thailand back, in now stop extortion by Thai owned insurance companies, which by the way, the government has passed laws for which allows them to invoke, sadly, conditions on age and forbids other overseas companies insurance to stand in Thailand. 

Then the quarantine extortion and now the plastic GPS wrist bands they probably bought from HUAWEI for 500 BHT and will require you to pay 5000 BHT for before you can get through immigration 

Sadly the return of people that own homes has become extortion. 

And the STV is being extorted by the same means 

And the powers that be are writing this into Law. 

They are actually writing Thailand into economic suicide. 

If it gets much worse for the people with millions of BHT locked in Thailand then possibly political pressure from the peoples embassies may happen in the near future. 

• Like 1