Phuket: "Graveyard Patong" - where even the 7-Eleven is shut

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

I feel so sorry for the tuktuk drivers who charged us 200 baht for a 200 meter ride...😝

I feel sorry for you cant walk 200 meters

• Haha 2
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not to worry. General Prayut will fix it all on Monday in Phuket and Tuesday in Samui. He will have all his lucky necklaces on.

I went to Patong for the first time a few weeks ago and have to say the photo does not exaggerate. The Hotel we stopped at was very well priced and room was excellent. We only walked down to the beach

I feel so sorry for the tuktuk drivers who charged us 200 baht for a 200 meter ride...😝    

Posted Images

On a positive note, Savoey Seafood restaurant are offering a 10% covid discount, despite little competition. 

IMG_20201025_125546.thumb.jpg.b13fd59630e8d513d37accc2dab9b0a3.jpg

The construction mess on Patong beach road is related to the burying of all of the overhead electric and cable lines. The entire road from the hill at the south to the roundabout at the north has been dug up and the underground pipes, which will hold all of the cables, appear to now all be laid. The next step will be to actually take down all of the cables. 

When they did the same cable burying in Phuket Town they resurfaced the road when they were finished so I assume they will do the same thing on the beach road. 

• Like 2

Obviously the places catering simply for tourists are hurting, 

Same in Bangkok.but the "local bars & restaurants" are still full of locals.

hence Phuket doing better than Patong.

As to 7/11's...... bound to be closures everywhere partly due to CP Groups greed in always being at saturation levels

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Where I live I think the 7/11's are just about hanging in there, when I go in none of them are busy, I go in 2 or 3 different ones, upto now 2 family marts have closed shop and stripped all the fitting out.

Where I live there's a 9 day market within the temple grounds for Loy Krathong

2pm this afternoon it was pretty much full, 5pm onwards it will be heaving.

Also good to see was on each entrance a well organised team taking temperature checks and you're given a sticker, if you weren't wearing a mask you were given one and told to wear it.

IMG_20201031_130425.jpg

IMG_20201102_125247.jpg

IMG_20201102_130124.jpg

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Where i live near MaeJo University (12Km from Chiang Mai moat), everywhere is open as normal.

In the evenings all the restaurants are packed with students and young people. 

The shops and high street are busy, lots of traffic on the roads.

The old folk still meet for a drink and a chat on the village green at sunset.

If I didn't have to wear a mask to enter the bank/7-11/Tesco I'd not know anything was different.

As for Phuket, yeah I'd be up for a holiday there every 2-3 months from Chiang Mai, but the flight prices are prohibitive. AirAsia keeps sending me 990bht special offer internal flights emails, but whenever I look the cheap flights are non-existent.

How clever to compare Mae Jo (where 90% of people on the streets in evenings are students of the MJU) with tourist places ...

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, Makoshark said:

I spent one month in Rawai. It’s nice with no farang but then again farang don’t go there. Family mart open. 7 open   Restaurants open.   

Its up to the remaining farang to tip 2-3x more to help the locals

i go 4x a year.  Love the place.  Quiet 

"It’s nice with no farang but then again farang don’t go there." Bit of an obvious statement?

"Its up to the remaining farang to tip 2-3x more to help the locals" So if there are "no farang", where do the remaining ones come from?

Great attitude! And next you'll be blaming "dirty unwashed farang" for causing it all in the first place!

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

Phuket Walking Street Market was very busy last night, with lots of food stalls, shops and craft stands doing good business. Mostly locals I suspect, and it was Loi Krathong, but nice to see some activity in the old city. I am visiting from CM  and most museums and many stores and shopping malls are open, but doing a quiet trade. 

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As for Phuket, yeah I'd be up for a holiday there every 2-3 months from Chiang Mai, but the flight prices are prohibitive. AirAsia keeps sending me 990bht special offer internal flights emails, but whenever I look the cheap flights are non-existent.

Yeah noticed the same and actually the only reason I did not travel down there already a few times since COVID. I know many who would go if flights weren't that expensive, even before COVID, it was cheaper to fly to KL or VN.

• Like 2

In Lamai, on Koh Samui about 7, 7-Elevens have shutdown, probably never to open again, has no one ever heard of the term "over provision" When the pandemic is over Thailand and especially the islands will rebalanced, the farang dead wood has gone already, maybe people need to realise that you don't really need 30 7 Elevens is a small area and a couple of hundred bars on one Soi, what may come of this is a bit quality instead of quantity 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1