Phuket: "Graveyard Patong" - where even the 7-Eleven is shut

webfact

19 hours ago, PJPom said:

I went to Patong for the first time a few weeks ago and have to say the photo does not exaggerate. The Hotel we stopped at was very well priced and room was excellent. We only walked down to the beach where we saw three other people, O K it was raining a little but to walk past endless closed shops and restaurants was quite depressing. For dinner we went to one of the two open restaurants, service was excellent, the staff outnumbered the diners by about three to one, two tables occupied out of maybe thirty. This is going to take some getting over, my town , Ao nang, is the same, a few Hotels have reopened but their profits are minimal if any, good luck to the Thai workers, they need it.

Did you note the tsunami evacuation route? Always that in the background.

• Like 1

This COV excuse is a korker,  next time i get a call from the bank out'll come the golden card ...... COV 19 !    I'm on a ship at the moment off Taiwan, we've all had countless PCR tests, quaratined in Taiwan, more tests from the Taiwanese Gov and now the ship's classed as "Green" Cov free, and we're still not allowed off without a weeks application to get a seven day pass ....... All i can say is i'm going into the COV business very shortly........ Money for old rope......   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

Same in Pattaya, I've seen several boarded up 7/11s, McDonald's and Starbucks there. None in Bangkok, on the other hand.

Board up all of the Starbucks!  That would be a great thing to do.  Rip of gits.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

Board up all of the Starbucks!  That would be a great thing to do.  Rip of gits.

But they employ my wife's daughter, pay good wages and she has a mortgage, for her and young son. I'll pass your suggestion on to her.

19 hours ago, bdenner said:

An ideal time for the governments to do some seriously needed infrastructure improvements/repairs, eg. drainage, road and sidewalk upgrades, bury some of those unsightly cables etc.

Help kick the economy in the ar$e by at least providing some employment opportunities.

Of course it's a good idea but TiT.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

in Hua Hin, there are many shops that have closed, bars also, but still looks quite busy, especially at weekends when Bangkok people arrive.  So Hua Hin has not suffered so badly as Phuket by the look of it.

Makes a he11 of a difference when it's close to Bangkok!

21 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Not to worry. General Prayut will fix it all on Monday in Phuket and Tuesday in Samui. He will have all his lucky necklaces on.

Prayut safe from all bad luck.png

BA-Barracus-A-Team-Mister-T.jpg

36 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

in Hua Hin, there are many shops that have closed, bars also, but still looks quite busy, especially at weekends when Bangkok people arrive.  So Hua Hin has not suffered so badly as Phuket by the look of it.

Even Thai's think Phuket is expensive 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cambodger said:

At this time, after nearly 15 years of splitting my time between the UK and Thailand, 3 months there, 3 moths here, i doubt i will ever return. It had already lost it's sparkle 5 years ago for me.

I have friends who lived there who have already moved to Mexico and are trying to encourage me to make that my second home.

I still have a small condo there that i rent, but i'm on the verge of just cancelling my rent payments and closing the book.

It's been going on for a few years people leaving Thailand and finding other places to live, A few people I know went to live in Cyprus a couple I know went to Costa Rica none of them ever came back

• Like 2

Who's going to Phuket theses days? Flight prices are still prohibitive.

We are three people, two adult and one children. If we want to go to a nice beach from Bangkok, it's cheaper and more convenient to go by car to the south or east.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, CLW said:

We are three people, two adult and one children. If we want to go to a nice beach from Bangkok, it's cheaper and more convenient to go by car to the south or east.

Well ... from Chiangmai, that's another story ????

Edited by khunphil
Wrong quote

Would be interesting to know in this present climate how much business do 7/11 do after say 10pm is it really worth them opening 24 hours a day? business is already down I can see during the day it's quiet just the odd customer passing by at night

On 11/3/2020 at 1:37 PM, CLW said:

I just booked flights to Phuket from Pattaya. 1000 baht each way. Seems very reasonable.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bristolgeoff said:

no tourist allowed or this coming high season  so we can escape the winter .thailand will be quiet until they let the winter birds back in.everywhere the same no one can travel,i,am one of the many who are waiting to get back

fyi; tourist visas are available>>>
but......... still need quarantine, 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, zzzzz said:

fyi; tourist visas are available>>>
but......... still need quarantine, 

And as I understand it, that quarantine cannot be served in Phuket/Patong, despite the government giving the ASQ ranking to a few hotels here!

And of course there is the COVID insurance which needs to be bought (am I right there?), and to add more expense it would appear from what I've seen that the airfares from the likes of the UK are not cheap at all.

They are not making things easy, or should I say they are not thinking things through

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

And as I understand it, that quarantine cannot be served in Phuket/Patong, despite the government giving the ASQ ranking to a few hotels here!

I don't think there's any international flights arriving yet.  Emirates and Qatar have been given permission to fly there but have not started to do so, and some flights to/from India were planned but not sure if they ever started.

• Like 1