1,000 workers lose jobs as Panasonic moves factory from Thailand to Vietnam

webfact

1,000 workers lose jobs as Panasonic moves factory from Thailand to Vietnam

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that more than 1,000 employees bid a sad farewell to the Panasonic factory in the Wellgrow Industrial Estate in Bang Pakong, Chachoengsao.

The company is moving production to Vietnam. 

It was like the end of term for schoolchildren - many signed shirts with goodwill messages for the future and hugged each other.

This all played out on a factory Facebook page on Saturday. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-02

• Sad 2

Samsung packed up in 2015 and shortly after LG also left Thailand for greener grass in Vietnam.

A Samsung spokesperson has not said if the company will move television production from Thailand to Vietnam. South Korea’s LG Electronics Inc, which is second in the global TV market, will also soon move its TV production from Thailand to Vietnam, thanks to cheaper labour costs and closer proximity to Chinese-based suppliers.

https://tech.thaivisa.com/samsung-tv-thailand/10967

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hayduke said:

You forgot to mention that Thai workers need a minimum of six hours per day...to play with their phones.

I thought that was covered under " Poor Production per Man Hour "

That, along with a host of other stuff

2 hours ago, Pottinger said:

Can you substantiate your fantasy by citing some authoritative sources? Myself, I would say that the decisions of several Japanese companies to relocate to Vietnam has nothing to do with Japanese government directive, and everything to do with economics.

39 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Companies that are departing Thailand are doing so for purely Commercial reasons.

Thailands workforce are not as skilled as some of the workers in Vietnam.

The strong Baht, Too many Holidays, poor production per man hour, and many , many issues with Red Tape, are just more of the hurdles placed in front of Business in Thailand.

Covid has just accelerated the process of restructuring and  relocating the Business Models for many Companies that do not wish to face problems from outsourced components which are locked in due to shutdowns Etc.

Red tape? In the World Bank's 'Ease of doing business' rankings for 2020, Thailand was in 21st place and Vietnam in 70th.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised. Vietnamese seem a lot more eager to study, learn and work than Thais - and for a substantially lower salary at current rates.

The Thai government, busy with silly factional warfare, has done nothing to keep Thailand competitive while other countries in the region have been busy catching up - and the painful reality of this is just starting to set in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Nah, believe what the PM says instead, he always tell the truth:

In December 2017 he told us the Bangkok - Korat section of the high-speed railway to China would be up and running by 2021. Great - only a few months to wait.

In July 2015 he told us Thailand would have a new national emergency number - 911.He was going to oversee its implementation himself. Any day now, I'm sure.

He told us there wouldn't be a Coup either and then later he said he didn't want to be PM.  Later he just kept up the lies until the present time !

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Nah, believe what the PM says instead, he always tell the truth:

In December 2017 he told us the Bangkok - Korat section of the high-speed railway to China would be up and running by 2021. Great - only a few months to wait.

In July 2015 he told us Thailand would have a new national emergency number - 911.He was going to oversee its implementation himself. Any day now, I'm sure.

• Like 1