1,000 workers lose jobs as Panasonic moves factory from Thailand to Vietnam

webfact

10 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

If they move to Vietnam it is because the companies receive orders from the government of japan, Thailand has placed itself under china and must pay the consequences.

You need to do some homework

LG and Samsung are South Korean not Japanese companies

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daiwill60 said:

There are also quite a fewThai companies setting up here in Vietnam now too.  So, it's obviously the economics that seems to be the major driving force, in my opinion.

Exactly right, for a couple of years or more now it's been getting tougher for foreign firms to make it work out of Thailand, the baht strength, un-welcome and hard to navigate immigration policies, politic uncertainty all add up to unfavourable conditions.

Big businesses need stability and a long term future, Thailand have neither at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Nah, believe what the PM says instead, he always tell the truth:

In December 2017 he told us the Bangkok - Korat section of the high-speed railway to China would be up and running by 2021. Great - only a few months to wait.

In July 2015 he told us Thailand would have a new national emergency number - 911.He was going to oversee its implementation himself. Any day now, I'm sure.

And he was going to stop corruption... not sure that will be any time soon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Not good news for companies planning to invest in Thailand's new EEC - rethink your strategies!!

EEC will be occupied with Chinese companies, Prayut is not in the least bit worried, road & rail links will cut a swathe from China straight through to it's new hub.

I'm waiting for the sea port that China will be requesting soon, so it can load & ship conveniently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rubble said:

Vietnam is being touted as the new "Asian Tiger" as foreign investment pours in. Every US dollar of investment going into Vietnam means a dollar not going into Thailand. Thailand looks like becoming the new economic "Asian Pussycat". And it will be forever reliant on China to make it purr. GDP retraction for Thailand for 2020 will be about -8% and for 2021 it is predicted to rebound by +5% off that low base. Whereas Vietnam is expected to finish 2020 with a growth of +2% and further increase in 2021 of +7%.

https://eurasiantimes.com/chinas-loss-is-not-indias-gain-as-asean-nations-led-by-vietnam-emerging-as-the-next-asian-tiger/

I guess the work permit rules would be a lot easier than Thailand?

21 hours ago, Pottinger said:

Can you substantiate your fantasy by citing some authoritative sources? Myself, I would say that the decisions of several Japanese companies to relocate to Vietnam has nothing to do with Japenese government directive, and everything to do with economics.

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't sound likely, more to do with wages, staff availability and the bribes needed to keep the factory working.

Thailand has just priced itself out of the market, as far as I can see it's trying to price itself out of every market.

Information from trustworthy sources in Japan

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

EEC will be occupied with Chinese companies, Prayut is not in the least bit worried, road & rail links will cut a swathe from China straight through to it's new hub.

I'm waiting for the sea port that China will be requesting soon, so it can load & ship conveniently.

Payute is just a Chinese flunkly 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike k said:

Payute is just a Chinese flunkly 

They let the japanese waltz in and do what they liked in the 1940s seems like they,re going to let china do the same,strangee how covid seems to be affecting the west far more than asia.