STV: Leave 14 day quarantine alone says Koh Samui tourism association

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A leading figure on the Thai tourist holiday island of Koh Samui has urged the Thai government to keep state quarantine at 14 days. 

They said that after a previously quarantined  French woman tested positive on the island half of all bookings were cancelled. 

A good call, Anutin should stop playing games, one mistake like this lady and havoc will follow.

A handful of foreign tourists as apposed to many domestic ones... Samui lost this time, don't make the same mistake again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

isnt it 10 days now,thats what anutin said last week i was led to believe??its confusing .i really dont have any idea whats going on  as they dialogue keeps changing!

The dialogue changes every 5 minutes but as yet the quarantine rule hasn't, it's still 14 days.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

A good call, Anutin should stop playing games, one mistake like this lady and havoc will follow.

A handful of foreign tourists as apposed to many domestic ones... Samui lost this time, don't make the same mistake again.

Samui's  been losing for  years, over  built and over  run.

35 minutes ago, Tidybeard said:

How sad you have all become, wrapped up in your mother's security blanket like little kids !

The average age of death around the World is 82.4 years old... and they are mostly people with other significant illnesses. For the whole population the death rate is about 0.3% depending upon who you believe, but here in Thailand where we all get plenty of sun and hence Vitamin D, out immune systems will be stronger than average, so we should have even less trouble than other parts of the World.

What do you think is going to happen when Thailand eventually has to open as 20% ++ of it's economy is missing..... we are all going to get exposed just like the rest of the World and guess what - you won't even notice - as 99.7% of us will be fine. 

Whilst I cna agree  on the paranoia it doesnt explain  other hot  sunny countries where its run amok.

3 hours ago, bodga said:

Whilst I cna agree  on the paranoia it doesnt explain  other hot  sunny countries where its run amok.

This has to do with the virus load inhaled, and this has to do with the lifetime of the virus and it's surrounding aerosols/droplets. At 30 degrees C the time span while the virus is infectious in the ambient air is very short, making hot countries generally quite safe. Not only Thailand, but also Northern countries during summer time. This effect is backed by scientific studies.

I do see not so much contradiction to this when looking to the higher numbers in India, Philippines, Indonesia, Brazil. There, especially in the slums of let's say Kalkutta, Manila, Jakarta or Rio, the density of the population is quite high and people are closer together, and therefore the lifetime of the virus/aerosol in the ambient air is long enough to infect the people around, even at 30 degrees C. And even more when they spend a lot of the time indoors due to lockdowns and fear of leaving their homes.

I am quite sure that this is a major contribution to the situation in these countries, and this is different enough in Thailand to make it more safe here.

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Arms wide open: Covid tests no longer needed and all countries welcome"
The only correct decision for Thailand to mitigate the collapse is to stop testing. The test only detects fragments of viruses anyway and does not provide any information about whether someone is really sick.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johannaread/2020/10/23/costa-rica-all-americans-welcomed-and-covid-tests-no-longer-needed/

4 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

How sad you have all become, wrapped up in your mother's security blanket like little kids !

The average age of death around the World is 82.4 years old... and they are mostly people with other significant illnesses. For the whole population the death rate is about 0.3% depending upon who you believe, but here in Thailand where we all get plenty of sun and hence Vitamin D, out immune systems will be stronger than average, so we should have even less trouble than other parts of the World.

What do you think is going to happen when Thailand eventually has to open as 20% ++ of it's economy is missing..... we are all going to get exposed just like the rest of the World and guess what - you won't even notice - as 99.7% of us will be fine. 

It's not at all about science, what makes sense, or statistics – and most of the World is still closed – it's all about fear among Thais, who right now are potential customers and guests on Samui, and the income source for many of those hotels that are still open.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

The average age of death around the World is 82.4 years old... and they are mostly people with other significant illnesses. For the whole population the death rate is about 0.3% depending upon who you believe,

I think that you are missing a major factor.

Yes - deaths are terrible. Especially for the families.

However, from what I have read, the biggest problem is hospital beds.

Whilst you are gaily going around saying that the deaths are insignificant, there are no hospital beds available for people with other afflictions.

Cancer. Sorry, die.

Motorbike accident. Sorry, die. etc etc.

Drive carefully Tidybeard and hope that you do not crash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bodga said:

Samui's  been losing for  years, over  built and over  run.

That's all changed now, a Thai friend just came back from Koh Tao, they said it was peaceful, a perfect time to go have a look. They said they'd stayed away for years because of the crowds, they enjoyed it so much they will go back for New Year.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

I highly doubt 50% of bookings were cancelled .

Guy is obviously quite happy in his nice house with no money worries . Friends I know that have run businesses for 25 years are now closing as they can’t make any money due to lack of tourists and locals . They are waiting till tourists arrive before opening despite trying their best to keep all their staff in jobs , while still being charged usual high rents for their business. So that is ten more to add to the jobless list for places like samui , Phuket etc . 
The fact they can’t register that the woman who tested positive had already been cleared after testing , so more than likely contracted it outside in public just shows how well the government fear has been spread . All while the government are hardly testing anyone ????

50% of 80 bookings, would only be 40 cancelled bookings. Samui is a ghost island right now. Most hotels are already closed. Don't forget, most bookings now are domestic. And the Thai people scare easily, when it comes to Covid. Many are buying into the apocalypse scare. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that you are missing a major factor.

Yes - deaths are terrible. Especially for the families.

However, from what I have read, the biggest problem is hospital beds.

Whilst you are gaily going around saying that the deaths are insignificant, there are no hospital beds available for people with other afflictions.

Cancer. Sorry, die.

Motorbike accident. Sorry, die. etc etc.

Drive carefully Tidybeard and hope that you do not crash.

Exactly, Its not just about the deaths. Its about the number of people requiring hospitalization and oxygen support even if not ill enough for intensive care. They are literally running out of hospital beds in Belgium and Czech Republic. Increasing the chance they may have have to turn people away while elective surgery lists collapse.

• Like 1

If people are saying the hospitals are full or filling to capacity due to Covid then a news report I seen in uk might explain why. There was one patient with around 4 staff in a room. They had oxygen but were not unconscious, the thing I noticed though was in this room there were no other beds or patients . The room was large enough for 4-6 beds in total . So if you do that in every room in hospitals then obviously they will be filling up rapidly !
Plus if you turn up saying you feel slightly unwell but aren’t really to bad and they test you and it is positive then what do they do ? Do they force you to stay and lock you in a room or do they say ok well not much we can do so just go home and isolate ?

• Like 1