2 insurance options in Thailand that Im considering. What do you think?

bbabythai

I have been doing research into many companies re taking out private health insurance. My original interest was only in getting a policy to be covered in a private hospital should something happen to me in the coming years. 

The decision now comes down to 2 options:

1. A big name Thai insurer that has life insurance + the private health insurance (cost around 200k a yr for 10 yrs)

2. A policy that only offers health insurance in the event of sickness.... private health insurance with Aetena : around 100k a year. From what I can see online, it seems like this policy is worldwide (excl the States because its too expensive?). In the event of being in ICU the max n.o of days is 15. If I take this policy now before my 60th I can continue getting insurance from them into my old age. 

It seem like option 1 will be twice as expensive and is an old fashioned life insurance type product with payments made to beneficiaries on death. If I live another 20 yrs then that means I spend 2,000,000 extra on insurance as opposed to taking a policy with Aetena. 

Quite a tricky decision. Anyone else have either option?

It seems you are close to 60 it also seems more clarity is needed plus more research?

I've seen a lot of policy you quoted 200,000 baht? for 10 years with no cancellation? The math that comes out of 20,000 baht per year which from my experience is impossible!

Question are you going to live in Thailand full time?

What is the coverage max?  Most policy in general have some form of life insurance average 300,000 baht.

Your post is missing lots of information in my opinion to answer your questions?

• Like 1

To me the decision is quite obvious and that is the pure Medical Aid Insurance with Aetna, or any other pure Medical Aid Insurance. I would shop around (maybe through a broker) as Aetna may not offer the best quotation. However, what I would not do, is a life Assurance combined with Medical Aid, as it always turns out more expensive. Try and get a quotation of two separate covers Life Assurance and separately Medical Aid. I bet that with exactly the same amounts of cover (you should note on the life cover, if it is on a cover with profits, or life only, which means that only you inheritors will benefit if you pass during the currency of the policy and you get nothing at the end of the currency) two separte covers are going to be cheaper than one combined

16 hours ago, bbabythai said:

1. A big name Thai insurer that has life insurance + the private health insurance (cost around 200k a yr for 10 yrs). 

2. A policy that only offers health insurance in the event of sickness.... private health insurance with Aetena : around 100k a year. From what I can see online, it seems like this policy is worldwide (excl the States because its too expensive?). In the event of being in ICU the max n.o of days is 15. If I take this policy now before my 60th I can continue getting insurance from them into my old age. 

I think you will find that Option 1 is a fixed 200K per year for 10 years and Option 2 is 100K for the first year and then the premium will rise every year as you get older.  Also, the health insurance piggy-backed on local life insurance policies is normally (but not always) more restrictive on benefits and exclusions.

I used ensure Asia before but am waiting on the rep from Aetena to send me quotes as I asked before and they seemed to cover the inpatient medical costs I required for a pretty cheap yearly cost . I have had a cold twice in 12 years in Thailand and nothing else , but I think it’s better to be safe than sorry when something major or requiring surgery etc happens . Especially from the way some hospital bills of inpatients rockets in Thailand.

The aetna policy has clauses with treatment at many hospitals in Thailand where you have to pay for any IPD (in patient ) treatment and then claim  back the bill. Or maybe that should be 'try' and claim it from insurance company ! Don't like that idea 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Do you have a need for life insurance? If not then it is a no brainer to exclude option 1. If yes, I suggest you cost out what life insurance alone would cost you and compare that pus health insurance to the dual package. Also,  need to clarify the 200k for 10 year part - surely the cover is for life???

You seem to have considered only Thai companies.  There is considerable advantage to getting an internationally issued expat policy, usually costs the same or less for better coverage and unlike Thai policies cannot raise rates based on claims history. And my premium now, about 10 years older than you, is about 100k baht (with a US $500 deductible). That is April International, policy issued out of France and under French law (much better than Thai insurance regs) and the insurer has office in Bangkok. Just for example.

I would also add that you should work through a broker, even if you already know what you want, as broker will help with any claims issues that may arise later. My broker was an immense help to me when I had an accident last year and wento ut of her way to make sure I knew all my entitlements; even compiled and submitted the follow up outpatient claims for me (the policy is inpt only but covers OPD after a hospitalization).

I am about a decade older than you and am insured for  1 million US in Thailand (and most other countries, just a few exceptions and even those are included for emergencies during short trips) with lifetime renewal guarnateed, no i cerase in premoums based on claims or changes in health status,

I know you are the most knowledgeable here re insurance and am seeking your guidance. I’ve been in uk for 7 months but feel I should grasp the nettle now on returning to Thailand (married to Thai) before my non imm O extension (retirement) expires 23 January.

To make the initial COE application/registration requires $100k COVID insurance cover (I have no current insurance ) . I did look into a uk travel insurance policy (I now qualify as a uk resident) with a provider that includes COVID cover . Small print ( I’ve checked)means unless you have a pre booked RETURN leg ticket (which I don’t want) a single trip (specified dates) insurance becomes invalid without that and an annual policy has maximum trip length of 60 days (too short to cover remaining validity of my visa). So that might push me to some form of expat based insurance which I can use for the COE. If general medical insurance would not be hugely more expensive it might make sense to include that too. But I don’t want to commit to a large initial expense in case for whatever reason (uk domestic situation now volatile)my return is thwarted . Are there for example any policies which might cover my immediate requirements (say paid for an initial period) but I could either cancel or continue with on a monthly basis ? I’m 68 and in good health ( just low dose 5 mg bisoporol medication for hypertension)and am self insurance minded ( I know your opinion differs!) ???? 

I would be eternally grateful for your recommendations and suggestions,particularly on which insurers as I know you’ve researched this aspect which is why I value your opinion above most others. 

13 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I know you are the most knowledgeable here re insurance and am seeking your guidance. I’ve been in uk for 7 months but feel I should grasp the nettle now on returning to Thailand (married to Thai) before my non imm O extension (retirement) expires 23 January.

To make the initial COE application/registration requires $100k COVID insurance cover (I have no current insurance ) . I did look into a uk travel insurance policy (I now qualify as a uk resident) with a provider that includes COVID cover . Small print ( I’ve checked)means unless you have a pre booked RETURN leg ticket (which I don’t want) a single trip (specified dates) insurance becomes invalid without that and an annual policy has maximum trip length of 60 days (too short to cover remaining validity of my visa). So that might push me to some form of expat based insurance which I can use for the COE. If general medical insurance would not be hugely more expensive it might make sense to include that too. But I don’t want to commit to a large initial expense in case for whatever reason (uk domestic situation now volatile)my return is thwarted . Are there for example any policies which might cover my immediate requirements (say paid for an initial period) but I could either cancel or continue with on a monthly basis ? I’m 68 and in good health ( just low dose 5 mg bisoporol medication for hypertension)and am self insurance minded ( I know your opinion differs!) ???? 

I would be eternally grateful for your recommendations and suggestions,particularly on which insurers as I know you’ve researched this aspect which is why I value your opinion above most others. 

You can cancel any policy with a certain amount of advance written notice (at least 30 days I think maybe 60). If you anticipate you might need to cancel mid year then you might want to opt for monthly rather than annual premium patment -- usually costs about 10% more but avoids having to seek a prorated refund

• Like 2

To me it all depends were you live whether insurance is worth it. I live in a small town north of Chiang Mai. Well a friend had a accident, slipped in the bathroom and hit his head on the sink. Now he had very good insurance but the ambulance took him to 4 different hospital's before they treated him. Sad to say he never made it back home and he was 38. So before you spend a lot of money on insurance  think about were you live first.

• Confused 1

On 11/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, bbabythai said:

I have been doing research into many companies re taking out private health insurance. My original interest was only in getting a policy to be covered in a private hospital should something happen to me in the coming years. 

The decision now comes down to 2 options:

1. A big name Thai insurer that has life insurance + the private health insurance (cost around 200k a yr for 10 yrs)

It seem like option 1 will be twice as expensive and is an old fashioned life insurance type product with payments made to beneficiaries on death. If I live another 20 yrs then that means I spend 2,000,000 extra on insurance as opposed to taking a policy with Aetena. 

Quite a tricky decision. Anyone else have either option?

Contact nowcompare.com and let themblook for the best option for you

On 11/4/2020 at 1:21 PM, vandeventer said:

To me it all depends were you live whether insurance is worth it. I live in a small town north of Chiang Mai. Well a friend had a accident, slipped in the bathroom and hit his head on the sink. Now he had very good insurance but the ambulance took him to 4 different hospital's before they treated him. Sad to say he never made it back home and he was 38. So before you spend a lot of money on insurance  think about were you live first.

I agree with your comment. Its exactly why I insisted on moving my wife and child to a decent city with a good private hospital 5min away. We lived in the sticks before this and only option was a govt hospital. scary...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 10:21 PM, vandeventer said:

Why did they take him to 4 different hospitals before they treated him?

3 hours ago, seeriipaap said:

What insurance plan did you decide on?

The throwaway, cheapo LMG plan to meet the minimum requirements for Thai immigration and an April My Thailand plan, which includes Covid coverage.  The additional policy with LMG is needed to cover the 40,000 THB outpatient requirement which the April My Thailand plan does not include (and to add outpatient coverage to this April Plan is much more expensive than the LMG policy).

Edited by TimBKK

4 hours ago, TimBKK said:

The throwaway, cheapo LMG plan to meet the minimum requirements for Thai immigration and an April My Thailand plan, which includes Covid coverage.  The additional policy with LMG is needed to cover the 40,000 THB outpatient requirement which the April My Thailand plan does not include (and to add outpatient coverage to this April Plan is much more expensive than the LMG policy).

AA sent a policy for April My Thailand that actually says it's from LMG - is your April plan underwritten by LMG?

Can anyone Please tell me how to include someones post that i am replying to so they will know i am replying and see my question?  and what the Quote option is for? Thanks!

Edited by LuckyG
dont understand how to include someones post that i am replying to

On 11/9/2020 at 11:11 PM, bbabythai said:

I agree with your comment. Its exactly why I insisted on moving my wife and child to a decent city with a good private hospital 5min away. We lived in the sticks before this and only option was a govt hospital. scary...

I also live in the sticks with the nearest public hospitals an hours drive away, that said, the insurer will accommodate any private hospital, no restrictions, and you are provided with a debit card to produce to the hospital along with your membership number card with the contact details, the hospital can call them and advise them what is going on and what the cost will be and they will put the money into the card for the hospital to swipe, all going well, your good to proceed, in an emergency as long as they are advised within 72 hours your still covered as its an emergency and you might be out for the count.

As Sheryl and I have said before AA Insurance Brokers can find you an insurer and back you if you have any issues down the track.

I am with David Shield as mentioned previously in other posts, I am 60 and they will cover me till I croak, usual increases in the 5 year age increments, e.g. 59-64, 64-69 and so on, and they covered me for a pre-existing condition where the others wouldn't touch me.

The policy costs around 73,000 baht per annum or 200 baht per day payable monthly, quarterly, half yearly or annually in US $'s, the policy also covers me for return trips to Australia with up to 90 days emergency or elective surgery and includes 4 neighbouring countries, like Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and I think Vietnam, and as I know I won't be travelling to any of those or other countries that other insurers include, I feel that my money is not wasted unnecessarily on the policy price for countries I won't be travelling too, and the total amount I am covered up to is 1.2 USD with no deductibles, emergency or elective surgery only, outpatient is paid by me.

The fact that David Shield took my pre-existing condition on with proof from letters that my Cardiologist sent to my doctor, initial surgery, follow up visits, and after every two year visit letters to him over the years on my condition, of which I always kept a copy of, I felt that I wasn't just a number, i.e. David Shield took the time to read the letters, give them to their doctors and made a decision, so for the extra $60 USD per month which is included in the 73,000 baht per annum, I feel good that my ticker is covered and that they are an insurer that thinks outside the square.

Happy searching, but as I said, let AA Insurance Brokers do the work for you, and as for life insurance, in my opinion, best be separate, and cheap enough depending on who the insurer is.

As for Thai insurers, I have heard they will take your money, but may not deliver and recourse might be a little harder than you think, but personally haven't had any experience with them, just heard along the grape vine.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

@bbabythai

I couldn't find your post to reply to, maybe the mods deleted it ?

Copy and pasted from my inbox: 

"Let me guess that you either work for or have vested interest in AA insurance brokers? ..."

I would hazard a guess they took it down because you did ask the question and your reply can be taken in different ways.

But to answer your question when someone asks me if I know of a good restaurant to eat I would provide them with the answer if I know of a good restaurant to eat, here on TVF we all help out each other with information and the fact that I provided you with who you should contact regarding insurance was part of that community spirit here on TVF.

The above said, perhaps when and if you ask me here on TVF for a good restaurant to eat, perhaps I will reply with yeh, try KFC or McDonalds, because they might be in your budget range.

But to answer your question if I have a vested interest in AA Insurance, I suppose I do in that they found me insurers for my house, car and health, and they receive the premiums and of course receive their commission from the various insurers.

Enjoy your next meal at KFC or McDonalds and best of luck finding a health provider to suite our needs.

There, I think we are done ????