Opening a bank account - new rules??

Went to Kasikorn today to open a new bank account but was told my Non-O/marriage extension would not suffice. I had to have an investor visa or a work permit or..(not sure about the other types). A straight Non-O will no longer do she said.

I've had an account there (jointly with my wife) for more than 15 years so was surprised to say the least. Question is, is this KTB policy or government regulations. Is it still possible to open bank accounts in other banks?

Nothing has changed as far as I know, you just have to be persistent, keep trying at different branches, speak to more senior people than the front desk tellers and explain your case; sooner or later you'll be successful. If you're in Bangkok, the Head Office of Bangkok Bank on Silom is usually accommodating.

• Like 2

Always contact the bank head office by e-mail and report these things as they are not law or bank policy. You are a victim of ignorance  or xenophobia but probably both. I have Kasikorn bank accounts and credit card: I have never been asked for a work permit. Generally you get much better services at main branches. An area will have a main branch and quite a few smaller branches under it.

Edited by uncleP
Brain damage.
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, uncleP said:

Always contact the bank head office by e-mail and report these things as they are not law or bank policy. You are a victim of ignorance  or xenophobia but probably both. I have Kasikorn bank accounts and credit card: I have never been asked for a work permit. Generally you get much better services at main branches. An area will have a main branch and quite a few smaller branches under it.

Xenophobia ??? really...   It always makes me laugh how westerners don’t get what they want they pull a racist / xenophobia card..... 

In reality, the Op was likely rejected because the staff didn’t know what to do, hence the ‘cannot’ as the ‘go to’ response for lazy idiots. 

Contacting the head office won’t make much difference - they’ll require a work permit. The Op needs a branch which will interpret the regulations with a favourable degree of flexibility - its fortunate that Thailand is sufficiently ‘non-xenophobic’ for there always to be a away for us Westerners in such circumstances. 

Op: Just try the next branch down the road - That has always been the advice when opening a bank account in Thailand and facing a stumbling block. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Xenophobia ??? really...   It always makes me laugh how westerners don’t get what they want they pull a racist / xenophobia card..... 

In reality, the Op was likely rejected because the staff didn’t know what to do, hence the ‘cannot’ as the ‘go to’ response for lazy idiots. 

Contacting the head office won’t make much difference - they’ll require a work permit. The Op needs a branch which will interpret the regulations with a favourable degree of flexibility - its fortunate that Thailand is sufficiently ‘non-xenophobic’ for there always to be a away for us Westerners in such circumstances. 

Op: Just try the next branch down the road - That has always been the advice when opening a bank account in Thailand and facing a stumbling block. 

You are talking bull. I have personal experience  of everything I mentioned over the last 25 years.

• Like 1

It's true that many banks want to see a work permit now. 

But I'm certain it also has to do something with the nationality.

There's a time where Americans had a very hard time to open up a bank account. 

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Like 1

A Thai friend who used work at the Bank of Thailand says the main issue is Thai Bank staff in general are poorly trained so they really don't know the rules. I was renewing my ATM card at TMB a couple year ago and they asked for my work permit, I explianed I was now retired on a Non O extension, eventually called a The supervisor/manager all ok new ATM card issued. I have never closed any of my accounts with 3 different Thai banks I opened in Thailand as I think they are some sort of asset once you have them open.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

That wasn't my experience.

My wife and I wanted to open a joint account so we went to a main branch of Kasikorn on Sukhumvit, where I already had an account.

The customer services lady informed us that there was a new rule from the Bank of Thailand requiring account holders to have a Work Permit, I asked for the relevent order, she just got her supervisor who just repeated what her collegue had said.
I was in no mood to argue so went home and fired off an email to their head office asking if this was true.
We received a reply confirming that a WP wasn't required, and that O or O-A visa could be used as a "certificate of residence", adding that if we had any further issues with "miscommunication" in the branch we could call them and they would assist.
I wanted to go back letter in hand, nothing anoys me more than being lied to regarding the "new rule", but my wife suggested we go the the main branch in Silom where out account was opened without question.

The old ‘bank of Thailand’ move .. lol .. can I see this bank policy written, no? 

The only thing that is clear, is that different methods work for different folks.

I don’t know why Kasikorn have an issue with foreigners opening accounts, other than the American reporting requirement. 
We seem to like Kasikorn service, surely there is a business opportunity here that they need to be aware of, thousands of people who leave 400 or 800 000THB in accounts from year to year, people legal entitlement to stay here and money to invest - not just 30K a month that is deposited and all gone 3 weeks later.

It’s all rather strange to me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, uncleP said:

I suggest you try Bangkok Bank, they are more welcoming to foreigners.

If you are in Chiang Mai, try the branch at Kad Suan Kaew. They have many foreigners opening bank accounts with O visa

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I suggest you try Bangkok Bank, they are more welcoming to foreigners 

I have generally found Bangkok bank the easiest to get into but the most idiotic and useless over time. Even my Thai wife was amazed how stupid they were and said stop banking with them. If you have personal connections in any bank that is where you should go.

I have a BBK account for more then 30 + years Plus Krunqthai bank for 24 years both bank account joint with my wife  My name first on both accounts. In 2019 when the US embassy stop issue letters on yearly income I went BBK  and Krungthai, they ask for work permit  , shown them were it states not permit to work on retirement exst  of stay. Sorry we can not open a account in your name only both banks. Then I went to 10 + banks / office all came up with some reason for not opening a account. Finally I thought crack that egg a branch office in a large shopping mall. First I asked what was need to open a account in my name one , Just your pass port and Thai DRL, To make sure my wife want  to double check and ask same question same answer then my Thai nieces same. Next I show up all the paper work is going along fine Until they drop a down menu on the PC screen, questions about my work. Stop can not open. Same day same shopping mall over to BBK ask to open they first said no need letter from IMG office for prove of address, I show them their web page that stayed "or monthly utility bill in my name", which I have a water bill for the last 30 years my name only. Staff goes Into the manager office, manager comes out looks at me and hands the paper work to staff open the account, I deposit 800,000.00 in cash all done.  Later I open a account at local mall near our home with easy parking walk in ask to open savings account, all they ask for is my pass port in and out 30 min".  You just never know what's going to happen!

• Like 1

TransferWise is a good way of sending money in Thai Baht to Thailand. But beware, it is a oneway. You cannot send Baht via TW the other way. I tried and asked when could not find an appropriate bank code. So you cannot change yout Bht via TW to get them out of Thailand.

• Thanks 1

I have always found that the "Farangs attitude " has a lot to do with it.

Never once have I been even questioned when I wanted to open another bank account in fact 

at KTB was welcomed into their staff fixed term savings share accounts.

Not any better interest but no tax.

16 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Never once have I been even questioned when I wanted to open another bank account in fact 

"I have always found that the "Farangs attitude " has a lot to do with it."

And just how have you come to that conclusion? Have you observed farangs with an "attitude" being turned away when trying to open an account while you (with your supposedly "non-attitude") were granted this privilege?

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, uncleP said:

You are talking bull. I have personal experience  of everything I mentioned over the last 25 years.

OK... in your 25 years experience you call it xenophobia.... with my 24 yrs experience I call it ‘inexperienced staff who don’t know what to do’....  nothing more sinister than that.

Don’t worry though, you’ll find xenophobia if you search around and look hard enough......

43 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Perhaps in some cases....   but I think thats somewhat of a projection of the ‘arrogant farang treating all Thai’s as if they are below them’....  this very rarely happens, most people are simply quite normal and decent. 

IF someone is rejected its simply down to the Bank Staff not knowing or just being somewhat of a stickler, or the individual branch manager being difficult. 

SCB are notoriously difficult to open an account without a Work Permit. 

Bangkok bank and Kasikorn have reputation which is more favourable to foreigners. 

It's really just ‘luck of the draw’ - branch and staff.

-------

I tried to open a second SCB account (already hold one) and was told by two branches I needed a work permit.

No problem, I went to Bangkok Bank and opened a new account. 

• Like 1

N-0 retirement extension. I set up an account at KB prior to going checked website for requirements and double checked with email was about 2 monthsago. Was asked for one other document not on the list. Showed them email and website showing requirements... still needed the extra document. 

Got home sent an email told them I needed the extra document which was something simple. They replied branches can ask for

additional information depending what branch manager decides. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, theoldgit said:

That wasn't my experience.

My wife and I wanted to open a joint account so we went to a main branch of Kasikorn on Sukhumvit, where I already had an account.

The customer services lady informed us that there was a new rule from the Bank of Thailand requiring account holders to have a Work Permit, I asked for the relevent order, she just got her supervisor who just repeated what her collegue had said.
I was in no mood to argue so went home and fired off an email to their head office asking if this was true.
We received a reply confirming that a WP wasn't required, and that O or O-A visa could be used as a "certificate of residence", adding that if we had any further issues with "miscommunication" in the branch we could call them and they would assist.
I wanted to go back letter in hand, nothing anoys me more than being lied to regarding the "new rule", but my wife suggested we go the the main branch in Silom where an account was opened without question.

I had the same experience at the Kasikorn in Pak Chong where my account is held earlier this year. I tried to open a joint account and was told there are new rules that state I must either have a work permit or a retirmement visa.  I left it at that for now but I would state that the young lady showed me the rule on her tablet that they all carry around now.

I opened an account on a marriage visa a couple of weeks ago at a Bangkok Bank branch.  Initially they said no, that I needed a letter from the embassy if I didn't have a work permit.  I opened my laptop to their company's website where it said that a passport AND ONE of the following...... which included a letter from the embassy OR an number of other items.  One was a reference letter from a trusted individual such as "Bangkok Bank staff member or customer".  Since my wife has held an account there for some years and would vouch for me the requirements should be satisfied, no? I showed this to the lower level personnel but they were having none of it.  We had to kick it up to the Branch Manager who initially resisted but eventually relented when we showed her our marriage certificate and kept reminding her of the stated company policy.  As usual YMMV and good luck.

• Like 1