Opening a bank account - new rules??

9 hours ago, uncleP said:

I have generally found Bangkok bank the easiest to get into but the most idiotic and useless over time. Even my Thai wife was amazed how stupid they were and said stop banking with them. If you have personal connections in any bank that is where you should go.

I don't have any problems with them as I have a bank account with them for many years now.

They are generally quite polite but I don't do special services just withdrawal, deposit, automatic deduction and online banking transfer.

On 11/3/2020 at 9:39 PM, teacherclaire said:

It's true that many banks want to see a work permit now. 

But I'm certain it also has to do something with the nationality.

There's a time where Americans had a very hard time to open up a bank account. 

Your comment is inaccurate. I just opened a bank account at SCB last week and didnt have a WP

cheers

2 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

Your comment is inaccurate. I just opened a bank account at SCB last week and didnt have a WP

cheers

Its as accurate as anyone else’s experience. 

I hold an account with SCB and last week was told I couldn’t open another unless I had a Work Permit. 

The only ‘across the board’ factual statement made by many on this thread is that experience varies, and depends on the individual branch and even down to the individual member of staff you are dealing with. 

That said: SCB is notoriously difficult to open an account without a WP. So... What did you have that appeased their requirements ??? and which Branch? (that info may be of use to someone).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbabythai said:
On 11/5/2020 at 6:17 PM, richard_smith237 said:

That said: SCB is notoriously difficult to open an account without a WP.

do you have any factual evidence of this or is it just your own experience?

There is no such thing as ‘factual evidence’ about the difficulties of opening a bank account - there isn’t some kind of ‘index’ published by a reputable source which highlights which banks offer more favourable opening conditions.

That said: Anecdotal Evidence - I’ve held an SCB account for about 20 years. The first one opened while working here and required a letter of Guarantee from the company I was working for. 

Over the years since while not working here. I’ve been unable to open a second account at various branches. 

Friends have been unable to open accounts at SCB due to the no work permit issue while they have had success at Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank. 

So - to answer your question: No - no factual evidence, just anecdote and what seems to be a general consensus.

For those who have opened an account at SCB without a WP it would be interesting to know how they did it.