Quit smoking-insomnia, heart palpitations, and...adrenaline disorder?

amelibeli75

I quit smoking about a year ago and since then have had HORRIBLE insomnia. I can't fall asleep on my own without sleep aids. When I do finally fall asleep, even with the sleep aids/prescription sleeping pills, I tend to wake up 4 or 5 hours later with my heart pounding for no reason. I had to be put on beta blockers for my racing heart. Without them, my heart rate would be over 100 beats per minute all day. Also, if I exercise, it makes things worse. Any thing that gets my heart rate up such as watching a scary movie, laughing too hard, exercising, etc will cause me to not sleep that night. My doc says it's because my adrenal glands are on hyper-drive since I quit nicotine. Anyone else having these problems?

Not Smoking and palpitations are not related. Nicotine  actually  causes your symptoms & anything caused by nicotine withdrawal will be over in a maximum of three months. People say smoking relaxes them because they are taking deep breaths & taking slow deep breaths is calming.

I have difficulty sleeping when just laying there as my mind is overly active at times so I watch tv, listen to books, the radio or thunderstorms on youtube. These things distract the mind helping you to relax and you just wake up later.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:52 AM, amelibeli75 said:

I quit smoking about a year ago and since then have had HORRIBLE insomnia. I can't fall asleep on my own without sleep aids. When I do finally fall asleep, even with the sleep aids/prescription s 10.0.0.0.1leeping pills, I tend to wake up 4 or 5 hours later with my heart pounding for no reason. I had to be put on beta blockers for my racing hea 192.168.1.254rt. Without them, my heart rate would be over 100 beats per minute all day. Also, if I exercise, it makes things worse. Any thing that gets my heart rate up such as watching a scary movie, laughing too hard, exercising, etc will cause me to not sleep that night. My doc says it's because my adrenal glands are on hyper-drive since I quit nicotine. Anyone else having these problems?

issue got solved!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It's possible that quitting smoking and heart palpitations may not related. 

Afib (Atrial Fibrillation) is a common for many people. The heart will start beating very fast. As high as 170 beats per minute or more for no reason at all. Sometimes you can feel it in your chest and sometime you can not. Generally it calms down on its own. It can last from a few minutes to a few hours. Beta blockers is what is prescribed. 

Having this increases you chance of strokes or heart attacks. My family member is on Flecainide (Beta Blocker and Eliquis (Blood Thinner)

I'm certainly not a doctor nor in the medical profession but I do have a family member with this condition. As I said, it is a very common condition. There are a few treatments for this.

Google Afib and go to the Mayo Clinic web site. 

Hope you find an answer.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 2:55 PM, uncleP said:

Not Smoking and palpitations are not related. Nicotine  actually  causes your symptoms & anything caused by nicotine withdrawal will be over in a maximum of three months. People say smoking relaxes them because they are taking deep breaths & taking slow deep breaths is calming.

I have difficulty sleeping when just laying there as my mind is overly active at times so I watch tv, listen to books, the radio or thunderstorms on youtube. These things distract the mind helping you to relax and you just wake up later.

Magnesium makes you sleep deep and relax, 1 hour before sleep, and sleep like a baby

• Like 1

Meds are not a good idea cuz they have dire consequences eventually.   

The body does not know how to handle meds but it does handle plants and herbs and one of the best herbs is Valerian Root available at most pharmacies.    It quiets your body amazingly and has no side affects other than a little drowsy in the morning.   

Check to see if you require one or more than one capsule or tablet...whatever their form is.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 1:52 PM, amelibeli75 said:

Anyone else having these problems?

Your problem could be solved without any doctor and it is easy to test it and see if it works on you or not. You won't lose anything by testing this. No harm. 

1- Drink at least 3 liters of water for A few days (drink 2 glass of water when you wake up in the morning). 

2-  do not eat salty food and anything with high sodium. 
3- exercise helps too, but don't forget if you sweat, you need to drink more water (more than 3 liters, do not do start exercise if you had not enough water before). 

It is possible that you have rich blood too. 
water will help with that. 

Try this and please let us know. Help some others. 

Edited by The Theory
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, NCC1701A said:

i don't but i assume you don't consume any caffeine in any form.

i find that alcohol keeps me from sleeping. especially beer.

a long walk helps me sleep. sounds like it is different for you. 

how over weight are you?

good luck.

A couple of beers & i sleep like a baby.. 

• Like 2

The OP should have his BP checked in case he is hypertensive. Smoking will have constricted his arteries and blood circulation may be a problem. I would also suggest a blood glucose check, in case he is diabetic.  Both of these syndromes could be causing the palpitations. Quitting smoking is also very unlikely to be the catalyst.

1 minute ago, thaiboss said:

you have to practice yoga meditation to get rip of those symstome medicine make it only worst.. go see chinese doc also for chinese herb medicine

After 100's of years the 'herbs' that worked were classified as medicines.....the rest remain just that...... 'herbs'.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, NCC1701A said:

i find that alcohol keeps me from sleeping. especially beer.

Perhaps you need to drink water a lot. Try it. You won't lose anything by drinking more water

Every time drink a big glass of water before drinking beer. 

3 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Perhaps you need to drink water a lot. Try it. You won't lose anything by drinking more water

Every time drink a big glass of water before drinking beer. 

ok i will try that. i don't really drink. just sometimes i am in a social setting and i am under a lot of peer pressure. 

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem with blood pressure and heartrate spikes, and finally determined is was related to my sleeping pills. If you're taking Diazepam, Alprazolam or Lorazepam, then you are taking a terrible habit forming benzodiazepine. Over time your body will build up a tolerance and you will need more to get the same effect. Without your realizing it, you will eventually start experiencing withdrawal symptoms from the benzos, then you will be in trouble with the symptoms you are describing. I have taken these meds for 25 years for another condition, and have had to wean myself off each of them. It took me at least 6 months in each case and the withdrawal symptoms are a nightmare. You could also be experiencing Serotonin Syndrome where your body is producing too much Serotonin and things go haywire and you get the same kinds of symptoms that you are describing. Best thing is to throw all those drugs in the garbage and give your brain a chance to heal, then your body will calm back down. It just takes time and patience, but you can do it.  

• Thanks 1

As a smoker who has given up on numerous occasions after one year I do not think your symptoms are smoking related.

I drink beer every night & sleep well except for a toilet visit or 2.

I would get checked out by a real Doctor

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 5:52 PM, amelibeli75 said:

I quit smoking about a year ago and since then have had HORRIBLE insomnia.

If that is not telling you to see a Cardiologist, then I have no answers for you.

It sounds like Atrial fibrillation is the likely cause, i.e. since you stopped smoking, you owe it to yourself to get this checked out ASAP !!!

If left untreated, this can lead to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications......I did say ASAP !!!

You say it's sorted now after only just posting, don't think a wonder drug over the counter is going to sort it, go and see a Cardiologist NOW.

"Up to you" as they say.

Good luck.