Dehydration Machine, do you use any ? What fruits / vegetables are good to dry ?

abonsa

You've actually got an oven?

I had great luck drying mango, pineapple and banana.  Much better than anything available commercially.  Very different than the usual deep fried bananas and preservative laden (and usually sugary) mango and pineapple.

Home dried papaya and kiwi, not so great.

• Like 2

We've bought two from Lazada over the years.  But there are many more now available for less.  We've dried beef for jerky and a wide variety of veggies/fruits/herbs.  When we visit the US, we declare our non-meat dried products and have shown them to customs agents on a few occasions, no problem.  

• Like 1

Have 2 different dehydrators for use in wet season

Use them regularly for fruit,veg and meat 

In dry season hardly use at all    Much  easier to just air dry or sun dry depending on what were drying

Built a passive solar dehydrator but found it was only useful in the dry season,so sort of defeats the purpose

Out Back-solar dehydrator.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why eat old dry fruit when there are various fresh fruits available in Thailand all year round?

The "Green Brigade" must love you lot with all the extra power etc used when us normal people can just pick and eat rather than pick, transport, buy and  use lots of useless energy guzzling equipment and then eat some hard practically useless cr$p I could have bought fresh today from the neighbouring farm?

PS;  If I was in the Sahara or on a long trek maybe OK, but come on, DRIED fruit, pointless!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, fangless said:

Why eat old dry fruit when there are various fresh fruits available in Thailand all year round?

The "Green Brigade" must love you lot with all the extra power etc used when us normal people can just pick and eat rather than pick, transport, buy and  use lots of useless energy guzzling equipment and then eat some hard practically useless cr$p I could have bought fresh today from the neighbouring farm?

PS;  If I was in the Sahara or on a long trek maybe OK, but come on, DRIED fruit, pointless!

we are not all living in deephole and some fruits are great to eat dry with olive oil for example tomatoes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, abonsa said:

we are not all living in deephole and some fruits are great to eat dry with olive oil for example tomatoes.

Why dehydrate in the first place if you are then going to rehydrate by dipping into a liquid?

PS;  What is your reference to a "deephole" about?

1 hour ago, fangless said:

Why dehydrate in the first place if you are then going to rehydrate by dipping into a liquid?

Looks like you never made camping, trekking or similar activity where you have a small volume and/or a rather small weight of things you can bring with you. Dehydrated eggs by example are perfect to make by example a good omelette from a very light and small bag of egg powder that find its place in your backpack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Looks like you never made camping, trekking or similar activity where you have a small volume and/or a rather small weight of things you can bring with you. Dehydrated eggs by example are perfect to make by example a good omelette from a very light and small bag of egg powder that find its place in your backpack.

Wrong!   MRE!!

After over 20 years Military Real Experience I know what dehydrated eggs are!!

MRE=More Ruddy Experts = More Ruddy Excuses who know stuff all-sorry I Really Mean;

MRE=Meals Read to Eat!   and More Rudy Excrement.

:partytime2:

Enjoy your rehydrated breakfast!

I do not intend to!!

Edited by fangless

3 hours ago, fangless said:

Perhaps because I can't keep a bag of fresh mango, banana and pineapple in my pocket (or the car).  Aside from the fact that dried fruits neither leak nor spoil, they also weigh a lot less and take up a tiny fraction of the space of the hydrated equivalent.

• Like 1

Not for fruit but I would probably buy one for beef jerky or other savory snacks.

Also dried tomatoes would be interesting, they are very expensive here.

Has anyone tried it here?

Edited by CLW
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 3:57 AM, fangless said:

When traveling dried fruit tastes a lot better than rotting fruit. And, as a previous poster alluded to, you can enter another country with them. A little imagination goes a long way.

• Like 1