Maradona

jellydog

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I think "extremely" is probably way off richard. People who I know either don't care or are not overly bothered about that incident. It's one of those things that happens and most simply remember him for his absolute mastery of the game. It's more likely to be a minority who don't like him for that specific incident.

Your right there Mr B .. Gary Lineker who played against Maradonna in that '86 Argentina v England in a candid radio interview today has let it go ( hand of God goal ) and rather shared in the sheer genius of some of Maradonna's moments of magic having played in a number of exhibition games alongside him .. and speaking Spanish himself from his own time in Barcelona built up a friendship with Marra' .. some of the '86 team are still a little sour about it sez' Link's but now that he's gone maybe they will reappraise a little .. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I should be living in Thailand full time by then, so I'll see if I can pop over and give you a free plate of chips. Unless you don't like them given to you and you just like stealing mine of course ????

I see what's going on here...2v1 eh?

I'll bring my minder carmine along for protection. LOL.

On 11/26/2020 at 7:28 PM, 3 minus 2 said:

I saw him Inn in a testimonial at White Hart lane l.. cant rememberr if it was Glenn hoddles or Stevie Perry man ...even so,  out of all the great players I've see,  greaves law Gaza  hoddle romario  Ronaldinho Mathews .blah de blah.   next to Besty.. who I have a long standing personal grudge against ..despite iit being a friendly for want of a better term seeing   maradona Goas  down as the biggest feather in my football watchin lifes hat...

I only ever saw George Best once, he played for Hibernian against St Mirren at Love Street, Paisley ... he was overweight and way past his peak, on a play for pay deal. Despite that his touch, positional play and football IQ was really outstanding. You saw glimpses of the great player he undoubtedly was, despite his much lower fitness level.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I only ever saw George Best once, he played for Hibernian against St Mirren at Love Street, Paisley ... he was overweight and way past his peak, on a play for pay deal. Despite that his touch, positional play and football IQ was really outstanding. You saw glimpses of the great player he undoubtedly was, despite his much lower fitness level.  

I used to see him playing every Friday night down town

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2020 at 12:55 AM, 3 minus 2 said:

cheating  IS a  moral relatively

In the 70/80's I saw PLENTY. Of players fired up by..  amphetamine?   seemed to be pretty acceptable att.. lynford Christie... Gained ?? X amount of seconds on his best. Almost  Overnight.. in the 80's /90's the Brazilian ronaldo bulked up so much that he was musculariy  unrecognisable..

Wenger introduced sugar soaked in liquid caffeine as half time topups

And today in the prem t I see trainers give  players pills and sniffy things  during the game in years I'm sure that'll be banned 

. My point is it's easy to make moral judgements in retrospect.. not so clear or easy at the time. Irrespective of his issues  .. he was one of THE all times great.. and should be remembered  as such..NOT for his problems..

Can we throw in Alan Wells for the Scottish lads ????

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2020 at 2:42 PM, RickG16 said:

Not bothered reading it but what is the general reason for the bitterness?

For me it's not bitterness it stems from the way, and I don't understand it, footballers are elevated in the eyes and minds of so many. Why do the fans get so uptight when someone says something against their great heroes?

Footballers, pop stars etc, who end up as junkies or alkies can stand up and spout 'I've been clean now for 6 months and 20 days and all their fans clap and cheer them. Try standing up and saying I've never touched drugs in my life and the reaction is 'well, you don't know what it's like so you can't really talk about it can you'?

Sorry, he was just a very good footballer who couldn't handle fame and fortune and most likely thought his fame and fortune would somehow stop him becoming 'just another addict'

He was a footballer, not a hero.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 9:55 PM, 3 minus 2 said:

cheating  IS a  moral relatively

In the 70/80's I saw PLENTY. Of players fired up by..  amphetamine?   seemed to be pretty acceptable att..

Name the football players who were taking amphetamines in the 1970s/1980s ?

Edited by CorpusChristie

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

For me it's not bitterness it stems from the way, and I don't understand it, footballers are elevated in the eyes and minds of so many. Why do the fans get so uptight when someone says something against their great heroes?

Footballers, pop stars etc, who end up as junkies or alkies can stand up and spout 'I've been clean now for 6 months and 20 days and all their fans clap and cheer them. Try standing up and saying I've never touched drugs in my life and the reaction is 'well, you don't know what it's like so you can't really talk about it can you'?

Sorry, he was just a very good footballer who couldn't handle fame and fortune and most likely thought his fame and fortune would somehow stop him becoming 'just another addict'

He was a footballer, not a hero.

He was absolutely a hero. Who says there is a rulebook on who can be a hero? Of course, sporting heroes can't be compared to people who risk their lives for the good of others, etc etc, but they are heroes none the less.

Let's look at the joy this guy has brought millions of people from all over the world. What he did in his private life didn't come into it.

Even if he isn't your cup of tea, why not just keep quiet? Why can't you respect the millions who are genuinely saying what he meant to them?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

He was absolutely a hero. Who says there is a rulebook on who can be a hero? Of course, sporting heroes can't be compared to people who risk their lives for the good of others, etc etc, but they are heroes none the less.

Let's look at the joy this guy has brought millions of people from all over the world. What he did in his private life didn't come into it.

Even if he isn't your cup of tea, why not just keep quiet? Why can't you respect the millions who are genuinely saying what he meant to them?

So basically you're saying if I don't join the great worship club I'm not allowed to say anything about a footballer who impressed so many by becoming a junkie. What a hero for the kids eh ????

One of the reason so many join overseas supporters clubs is so they can be in the company of all those who won't make any wrong comments about their special heroes and god forbid say something on the lines of 'he's a good footballer, but just got a 6 months suspended sentence for drug offences or fighting in the street.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

So basically you're saying if I don't join the great worship club I'm not allowed to say anything about a footballer who impressed so many by becoming a junkie. What a hero for the kids eh ????

One of the reason so many join overseas supporters clubs is so they can be in the company of all those who won't make any wrong comments about their special heroes and god forbid say something on the lines of 'he's a g footballer, but just got a 6 months suspended sentence for drug offences or fighting in the street.

I'm saying this is a thread dedicated to his memory. Whether he was an artist, politician or footballer... doesn't matter, he has positively affected millions around the world. Whatever you say doesn't change that. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm saying this is a thread dedicated to his memory. Whether he was an artist, politician or footballer... doesn't matter, he has positively affected millions around the world. Whatever you say doesn't change that. 

So why can't I say he turned into a junkie/alkie after being a good footballer.

Ned Kelly was very good to and loved his mother. That doesn't mean he was a hero. Always two sides to everything.

I as often as I can watch UK football on tv but I don't hero worship. It's just entertainment.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Ned Kelly was very good to and loved his mother. That doesn't mean he was a hero. Always two sides to everything.

I as often as I can watch UK football on tv but I don't hero worship. It's just entertainment.

That's fine, but millions around the world do think he's a hero. Let them remember him in that way.

If you disagree fine, you've had years to do that. The days after someone passed is the time to button it.

Just the fact you call it "UK football" suggests to me you come from a country which doesn't understand football culture the same way that we do in Europe or South America. That's fine, but you should recognise it and allow people to remember a footballing hero.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

That's fine, but millions around the world do think he's a hero. Let them remember him in that way.

If you disagree fine, you've had years to do that. The days after someone passed is the time to button it.

Just the fact you call it "UK football" suggests to me you come from a country which doesn't understand football culture the same way that we do in Europe or South America. That's fine, but you should recognise it and allow people to remember a footballing hero.

Never assume laddie, never assume. ????

I'm from a country where a lot of people think there's a team called Partick Thistle Nil.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RickG16 said:

What that man said

22 hours ago, overherebc said:

Ned Kelly was and still is a hero to many..????????‍♂️.

22 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Absolute crud. 

He was a drug cheat, cheated on partners, cheated football, and promoted recreational drug use. 

The fact the media portray him as a hero is akin to what the media has become. 

Your assumptions of UK football suggests to me you understand very little of moral values.????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So some guy who was good at football dies.....give me a break.....this pathetic outpouring of grief for someone 99.9% of his fans never even met is pathetic.

If he had dedicated his life to helping the poor and the needy or worked his whole life to find a cure for cancer, malaria, covid19 then fair enough......but he was a footballer....get a grip.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 12:02 PM, ChipButty said:

He's in the Hands of God now

On the contrary, I’d wager he went downwards.????

God is actually an Englishman and would never forgive the World Cup cheating. 

Edited by twocatsmac
Cheating Argie.
  • Like 1