Low-cost smartphone with fast browser for home network use only -- recommendation?

I need a low-cost (<$150) smartphone for home network use only -- I'm just using it to say "Ok, google -- translate (some English phrase) to Thai" or vice versa.  So, the only thing that matters is fast browser response.   Is there any brand or model that's better than the others?   Phone service doesn't matter -- I won't insert a SIM (actually, I don't even own a cellphone, hence my ignorance).  

Thanks,

Retiree 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The cheapest 'vivo'. 790 baht. Takes good pics too. Just don't drop it.

Do not buy Huawei, recently purchased mate pad t 8 inch. EMUI 10 now bars anything Google, due apparently to the fight between USA and Huawei.  I have spent hours installing a second boot system

And some of the reported features are not exactly desired. https://www.smarthouse.com.au/secret-chinese-code-that-sends-information-back-to-china-found-on-huawei-and-zte-phones/

You ask in USD so not clear if in USA or Thailand - here they seem to be available for under 1,500 baht ($50) - would a cheap notepad be more useful?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, retiree said:

I need a low-cost (<$150) smartphone for home network use only -- I'm just using it to say "Ok, google -- translate (some English phrase) to Thai" or vice versa.  So, the only thing that matters is fast browser response.   Is there any brand or model that's better than the others?   Phone service doesn't matter -- I won't insert a SIM (actually, I don't even own a cellphone, hence my ignorance).  

Thanks,

Retiree 

4000 baht ok?

https://www.jd.co.th/product/2696738.html

Sorry; I should have said "<4,500 baht". 

Want phone rather than notepad 'cause phone fits in my shirt pocket.

And yes, I know there are plenty available; lol there are a half-dozen 7/11's on my block!  I just have no clue if one of the low-cost brands is appreciably better than the others in terms of how fast the browser (and I guess the Android implementation) runs.  Does that Huawei model zip along?

Thanks,

-- Retire

9 minutes ago, retiree said:

And yes, I know there are plenty available; lol there are a half-dozen 7/11's on my block!  I just have no clue if one of the low-cost brands is appreciably better than the others in terms of how fast the browser (and I guess the Android implementation) runs.  Does that Huawei model zip along?

Thanks,

-- Retire

It has the specs to do so.  

Of course if anyone else has any better ideas...

Here are a couple more within budget: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone2=9814&idPhone3=9324&idPhone1=10192 Though there are some complaints concerning WiFi connections on some Redmi phones.

In addition, there is another low cost Smartphone thread currently running. So maybe some ideas there.

I have a Redmi note 7 for almost 2 years and it's really good. They now have out a Redmi note 9 and I hear it's much better. And that sells for under 3500 baht at Lazada. Lazada has many prices so you have to look around.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, retiree said:

Thanks,

-- Retire

I have had 2 Neffos, made by TP Link, that were about 4000 baht and worked well. I have voice only SIM so only use the internet on home network or hotspot from wife's phone.

I changed the first one after about 4 years quite recently for the newer model X9 as the android was a bit old. Available on Lazada just search Neffos.

Word of warning, my niece had problems with her Huawei and the google updates.

Do not buy Huawei, recently purchased mate pad t 8 inch. EMUI 10 now bars anything Google, due apparently to the fight between USA and Huawei. 

I have spent hours installing a second boot system best one so far is VMOS PRO. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
13 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes, cheap & cheerful, with features.

And some of the reported features are not exactly desired.

Chinese phone makers Huawei and ZTE, who are Telstra's key manufacturing partner for their house brand pre-paid phones, have been caught up in claims that their budget devices are secretly sending user data – including full text messages back to a secret Chinese server.

https://www.smarthouse.com.au/secret-chinese-code-that-sends-information-back-to-china-found-on-huawei-and-zte-phones/

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Take a good look at the VIVO Y11model phone.

Approx 3,800 baht

3 Gb Ram

32 gb memory ( Expandable with an SDI Card )

2 Sim card slots

Good Security

Large Screen

I have one and its all I need in a Phone 

Whatever you choose to go with, enjoy !

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, retiree said:

Thanks,

-- Retire

The better known Chinese units are generally best bang for buck nowadays.

Xiaomi and Oppo are both very good, I have the Xiaomi Mi9 Lite and it's brilliant. YouTube has lots of good reviews for budget phones.

I bought T910 Tablet 10 inc. 1578 Bath from Lazada ,have also sim place but I used only wifi and works very good internet websites.

3BB glasfiber Download 412 up 265

• Like 1

My wife bought an Oppo A53 for 5400bht a couple of weeks ago.

It's superfast and responsive in every dept. and the battery is an easy 2 day plus.

When I update my phone, I'll probably buy the same. It's an excellent phone.

They're on lazada for about 4900, so almost within your range.

• Thanks 1