Chinese carmaking giant starts manufacturing in Rayong

snoop1130

One would wonder, with like population of 1.5 billion people that can offer cheap labor,  vast landmass, and most resources available to China to produce anything they like, why would they come to Thailand to manufacture cars?...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Amazingly, they are still buying and turning Australian iron ore into aircraft carriers and fighter jets! ???? 

Er - I think fighter jets are made of lighter materials than steel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PJPom said:

Twenty years ago Hyundai was referred to as Korean c##p in Australia, today it’s regarded as one of the best. Great Wall has been tarred with the same brush also the current MG even though they are selling very well, maybe we should  look a little more closely at what they are offering before we discount them. A YouTube reviewer in the UK reported on a Great Wall pickup and concluded that it lacked very little compared to a Toyota and was half the price, why pay for the name ?.

Any company that sets up in Thailand must be welcome, export or die, tourism dead for next few years in my opinion.

The Kia Stinger is probably the best medium-sized car in Australia now.

Having said that, I'm predicting it will be a long, long time before Great Wall will replace the Toyota Landcruiser in the hearts of Australian farmers. Given the games the Chinese are playing with Australian agricultural exports currently, it may not happen at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

One would wonder, with like population of 1.5 billion people that can offer cheap labor,  vast landmass, and most resources available to China to produce anything they like, why would they come to Thailand to manufacture cars?...

Imported cars are heavily taxed in Thailand .

Imported car parts , that are later assembled in Thailand , are not .

Thailand is one of the main exporters of vehicles to the ASEAN .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PJPom said:

Twenty years ago Hyundai was referred to as Korean c##p in Australia, today it’s regarded as one of the best. Great Wall has been tarred with the same brush also the current MG even though they are selling very well, maybe we should  look a little more closely at what they are offering before we discount them. A YouTube reviewer in the UK reported on a Great Wall pickup and concluded that it lacked very little compared to a Toyota and was half the price, why pay for the name ?.

Any company that sets up in Thailand must be welcome, export or die, tourism dead for next few years in my opinion.

I can remember when Japanses cars arrived in the UK, nobody was going to buy the "foreign rubbish".

How times have changed, the UK is now clinging to Japanese motor manufacturing like shxx to a blanket.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PJPom said:

MG was bought from the uk, The basic design has not changed since then just became cheaper product with thinner gauge steel and more plastic.

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Amazingly, they are still buying and turning Australian iron ore into aircraft carriers and fighter jets! ???? 

Those  must be really  krap jets made of  Iron, do they get off the ground????

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Those  must be really  krap jets made of  Iron, do they get off the ground????