Corolla Cross Hybrid - anyone got one ?

So as the title suggests I am interested in the Corolla Cross Hybrid.

Took an impromptu test drive in the Premium Safety ( I believe ) version  today and was impressed with the smooth ride, smooth braking and quiet seamless acceleration.

The car meets all my needs size wise and although I wasn’t looking to change cars until early next year if I do go for the above I need to order now as a 3 month wait was quoted.

No cash discount offered ( although I didn’t push too hard ) and all the usual freebies on offer.

Soo, anyone got one or knows someone who has one and anything to report ??

TIA

Andy

I haven't anything to report but are interested too, saw a few Cross Hybrids on the toll way from BKK to Pattaya today, looks quite good.

I can see the top models Mazda CX30 and the Cross Hybrid cost the same; 1,2 mill.

CX30 is not a hybrid but looks very nice and have more power.

I think Mazda will soon start selling the MX30 as a light hybrid here in Thailand, and that looks really good too, it also come as full EV in some countries.

I am interested in above cars but not until next year, the government also seems to start encouraging people buying EV's/hybrid cars which made it harder to choose!

Suggest you go and try the CX30 as well unless you want a hybrid?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I haven't anything to report but are interested too, saw a few Cross Hybrids on the toll way from BKK to Pattaya today, looks quite good.

I can see the top models Mazda CX30 and the Cross Hybrid cost the same; 1,2 mill.

CX30 is not a hybrid but looks very nice and have more power.

I think Mazda will soon start selling the MX30 as a light hybrid here in Thailand, and that looks really good too, it also come as full EV in some countries.

I am interested in above cars but not until next year, the government also seems to start encouraging people buying EV's/hybrid cars which made it harder to choose!

Suggest you go and try the CX30 as well unless you want a hybrid?

To be honest I had no intention of going for a hybrid or even a Toyota, I’ve had a Honda Jazz for the last 4 years and been very happy with it but wanted an upgrade, I had been considering an HRV.

The girl who helped us with car insurance is a salesperson at Toyota and talked us into a test drive and I was very impressed with the car.

Have had a quick look at the CX30 in a mall and was impressed also, I generally like the Mazda styling both inside and outside. Will take another look.

13 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Hello Andy. I took delivery on my Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid Premium Safety at the beginning of October. I can vouch that your assumptions are quite correct. The vehicle does take a bit of getting used to when it is driving on the batteries alone, as the only noise you hear is the tire noise. The fuel consumption is outstanding and the fuel tank is only 30 litres.

I had a Sienta prior to this car and that Sienta used up a lot of fuel in city type driving.

The Corolla Cross is a dream car and it does have a power mode, but I am quite happy to drive it in the Eco mode.

I would say that you will not go wrong buying this vehicle. Now that all the pleasantries are out of the way, my only wingers are that the seat width is a bit narrow for a western seat. Getting the seatbelt to click into the holder takes a bit of tail wiggling. If you are built like a Thai person, it fits just fine.

The only other issue that gets me is the huge distortion on the reversing cameras, it elongates vehicles to the side of you, but there are settings of how much you want to see around the car when you reverse park.

I would recommend this vehicle to somebody who does not want to go the whole hog and change to a full EV car.

It is worth the wait, I waited two and a bit months for mine.

Thanks IC

Always good to get first hand experience before taking the plunge, will probably visit another couple of Toyota dealers to see it in the flesh and do another test drive.

If first impressions are anything to go buy I’m hooked already.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Hello Andy. I took delivery on my Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid Premium Safety at the beginning of October. I can vouch that your assumptions are quite correct. The vehicle does take a bit of getting used to when it is driving on the batteries alone, as the only noise you hear is the tire noise. The fuel consumption is outstanding and the fuel tank is only 30 litres.

What is the range on batteries?

Are hybrids here still cheaper than equivalent conventional cars?

AS for the two vs one source question. Why are you buying a hybrid? If you can't plug it in to the wall the only energy it has comes from the engine. 

The only hybrid I would consider is the Renault Clio E-Tech, but it is not available here.

8 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The Toyota hybrids are good if you drive them frequently. If you let it sit for a few months, there maybe issues with the batteries. The batteries are not deep cycle and are not intended to discharge deeply. The batteries are usually guaranteed for 10 years and are expensive to replace. New Toyota batteries including installation usually cost 100,000+ baht.

In USA a Prius battery change with new Toyota batteries costs about US$3,000-$4,000. Recycled batteries are an option, but are usually only guaranteed up to 3 years.

Thanks for that, yes Toyota told me that the battery is guaranteed for 10 years.

That replacement cost is high though, 100k wow !

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The Toyota hybrids are good if you drive them frequently. If you let it sit for a few months, there maybe issues with the batteries. The batteries are not deep cycle and are not intended to discharge deeply. The batteries are usually guaranteed for 10 years and are expensive to replace. New Toyota batteries including installation usually cost 100,000+ baht.

In USA a Prius battery change with new Toyota batteries costs about US$3,000-$4,000. Recycled batteries are an option, but are usually only guaranteed up to 3 years.

Yes that's can be a problem, leaving the car unused. There should be a plug-in option with a battery tender?

Tropical heat is hard on normal starting batteries and likely also on deep cycle batteries so I am not yet convinced I will buy a hybrid car next.  

On 11/5/2020 at 7:20 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

What is the range on batteries?

guzzi850m2, to answer your question, the distance one can travel depends entirely how much electrical storage has been stored within the nickel-metal hydride battery pack themselves. I would say around a shortish distance, cant give exact figures yet as my vehicle is too new.

Then the petrol motor kicks in to begin the charging sequence all over again.

There are three modes of driving the Corolla Cross,

• Eco – To optimize fuel efficiency.
  • Sport – Optimizes the throttle and engine to provide maximum acceleration.
  • Normal – Offers the ideal blend of fuel efficiency and power depending on the situation.

I do not at this stage place much hope in a full EV car, as to plug it into a wall socket to get electrical power, one has to ask the question, where does the electricity come from?

Yes, a coal fired power station  .  .  . so are you really saving the world or just increasing the reliance on coal fired power stations to power your eco friendly car?

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 10:22 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Soo, anyone got one or knows someone who has one and anything to report ??

A neighbour bought one early this year, as you say ticks all the boxes. been out with them a few times on road trips and very good car, great mileage with the hybrid assist.

Cruises along effortlessly.

• Like 2

I'm also considering buying one. There are now some YouTube reviews in English as the car has been launched in the Philippines and they are positive. The car is very quiet driving in the city but noisy at speed on highways, this seems to be the only negative I can see...

• Like 1

Initially I had thought that the rear parcel shelf ( well that blind device that hides your shopping ???? ) was a bit naff and seemed to be a long way from the rear seats !!

Since realised that the rear seats can recline, hence the gap, and the blind thingy ( what DO you call those ? ) can be easily removed .

One thing I hadn’t thought of until now.

Is there a Sat Nav  ?

5 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

guzzi850m2, to answer your question, the distance one can travel depends entirely how much electrical storage has been stored within the nickel-metal hydride battery pack themselves. I would say around a shortish distance, cant give exact figures yet as my vehicle is too new.

Then the petrol motor kicks in to begin the charging sequence all over again.

There are three modes of driving the Corolla Cross,

• Eco – To optimize fuel efficiency.
  • Sport – Optimizes the throttle and engine to provide maximum acceleration.
  • Normal – Offers the ideal blend of fuel efficiency and power depending on the situation.

I do not at this stage place much hope in a full EV car, as to plug it into a wall socket to get electrical power, one has to ask the question, where does the electricity come from?

Yes, a coal fired power station  .  .  . so are you really saving the world or just increasing the reliance on coal fired power stations to power your eco friendly car?

That's not a fair comparison.

1. Increasingly, electric power generation comes from a mix of wind, solar, hydro, and fossil fuels. 

2. Power companies are subject to strict pollution control, with scrubbers and other measures to keep particulates and CO2 out of the atmosphere. 

3. What's most important in the comparison is the amount of pollution produced per unit of travel. 

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/energywise/electric-cars-and-environment

On 11/5/2020 at 7:35 AM, AlfHuy said:

I saw a few Nissan kicks hybrid  on the road. Looks similar to the Toyota.

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/kicks.html

I had a look at both the Nissan Kicks and the Toyota Corolla Cross at the Bangkok Motor Show in July. Kicked the tires, sat in the seats (front & back), drooled on the paint. So now I'm an expert. ????

It should be pointed out that power delivered to the wheels in the Kicks comes entirely from an electric motor, much different from the shared gasoline/electric hybrid system. The gasoline engine in the Nissan only serves as a generator for charging the batteries that power the electric motor. 

16 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Yes that's can be a problem, leaving the car unused. There should be a plug-in option with a battery tender?

Tropical heat is hard on normal starting batteries and likely also on deep cycle batteries so I am not yet convinced I will buy a hybrid car next.  

I am not aware of a battery tender for the Toyota hybrids.

You are right about heat being a killer of batteries too! The drive batteries are a series of cells, and they too are not deep cycle, just like the starting battery.

On the Toyota hybrids, there is exhaust fan in the back that sucks the off-gases from the batteries. Toyota has lot of experience with hybrids.

When considering other brands, be sure to check their history, and how long it takes to get genuine replacement parts, and what country has the stock. It's fun being a pioneer with new technology. But sometimes the pioneer gets an arrow in the back.  A friend once had to wait 5 weeks to get a part.

• Like 2

That Nissan Kicks is an odd fish.

Top-speed 145km/h which is not good enough for my use, I like to do about 120-140 when on the tollways.

I guess for city it's fine.

On 11/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, LawrenceN said:

I had a look at both the Nissan Kicks and the Toyota Corolla Cross at the Bangkok Motor Show in July. Kicked the tires, sat in the seats (front & back), drooled on the paint. So now I'm an expert. ????

It should be pointed out that power delivered to the wheels in the Kicks comes entirely from an electric motor, much different from the shared gasoline/electric hybrid system. The gasoline engine in the Nissan only serves as a generator for charging the batteries that power the electric motor.