Thai Citizen and 30 Baht Health Plan - Does the plan exist - Is she eligible?

Thomas J

I am engaged to a Thai woman.  She was married and lived in Norway for 20 years before her divorce and relocation back to Thailand.  She owns a home here and has lived here for two years.  A neighbor told me about a 30 baht health plan for Thai's  I have tried to do some investigation on the internet but though there are articles about it, I can find nothing that says the program still exists, who is eligible and how a person enrolls.  Does anyone know the details of the program and can share them.  Thank you in advance. 

That's the Universal Health Care Scheme. I believe the 30 baht charge was dropped some years ago. If she has a Thai National ID card and a blue book with her name in it then she should have no problem.

She has to go to her local hospital.

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

t exists and she is not only eligible, she is automatically enrolled once she has her name in a house registration (tabian ban). She must utilize the district hospital which covers the locality where she lives (though they can if necessary refer her elsewhere.). 

This is also called the "universal coverage scheme". The only Thai citizens not covered are those covered under the Social Security scheme by reason of employment.

All she should need to utilize services is her Thai ID card and Tabian ban. To save time good idea to register for a patient number in advance (she will get a small card with a unique number that will link to all her patient records)

Sheyl,

Does she have to go to a specific hospital or any hospital close to where her home is? Live in m4 Huay Yai 20150.    If she has a choice of where to go for any treatment, is there one you would recommend.?  I am assuming that her coverage would be only at the hospitals run by the government.  

Edited by Thomas J

As above. For that address it is probably Bang Lamung Hospital but neighbors will know for sure.

Bang Lamung hospital is about 120 - 150 bedded hospital and adequate for common problems. In case of anything specialized that they cannot handle,  they would likely refer her to the main government hospital in Chionburi town, which is a regional level facility with good capacities.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As above. For that address it is probably Bang Lamung Hospital but neighbors will know for sure.

Bang Lamung hospital is about 120 - 150 bedded hospital and adequate for common problems. In case of anything specialized that they cannot handle,  they would likely refer her to the main government hospital in Chionburi town, which is a regional level facility with good capacities.

What happens when, for example, an Isaan person lives in Bangkok, but only rents a room (no blue book registration in Bangkok)? 

Do they really have to go "back home"?

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

What happens when, for example, an Isaan person lives in Bangkok, but only rents a room (no blue book registration in Bangkok)? 

yes, only free in registered hospital, as stated above

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Except in an emergency, yes. Or else pay out of pocket.

Renting does not preclude being listed in a blue book, by the way. It is just a listing of who lives at an address, not of ownership. But it does need the landlord's cooperation to add someone to their house registration and that can be problematic.

I find that people do in fact travel back to home provinces if prolonged treatment, surgery etc are needed but but for simple/short term things  often opt to pay for care.

The reason it is this way is that the government provides hospitals their budget based on how many people live in their catchment area. There is talk of trying to open the system up more but in practice would be very hard to do as some hospitals would be ovrerrun and their resources depleted while others would be underutilized. 

In an emergency, care can be obtained at any government hospital but it often needs a call to the NHSO hotline to prevent the person being charged. Mist hospitals don't have any system for indicating in the records which cases were emergencies so at check out the finance office has no way to know not to charge.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The only Thai citizens not covered are those covered under the Social Security scheme by reason of employment.

And those covered by CSMBS for civil servants and their spouses/parents/first three children.  CSMBS can also available after the civil servant retires.

Just now, scorecard said:

There has been recent announcement about making it law that the card can be used at any government hospital but no confirmation on this point and it will possibly take at least several months to get / deny a confirmation on this.

The fee - when it was started there was a fee - about 30Baht, then the opposition party won a national election and they continued the scheme but cancelled all patient fees - everything free.

Then the party who started the scheme won the next national election and they reinstated the 30Baht fee. 

Sounds like a very small amount of money but for the very poor it's a sizeable amount of money.

My Thai in-laws love the scheme and overall are very happy with the service. They are all hoping the rules about only attending the hospital where you are registered is soon changed.  

Many years back I went to my Thai son's mother-in-laws house way up county in essan. Son, his wife and kids went off for the day to participate in a sports carnival.

I stayed at the house with son's M-I-L, she lives in a wheelchair, she's illiterate, she told me she was feeling unwell. I quickly got help from a pleasant helpful neighbor to get her and her chair into the cab of neighbor's pick up and we went (with neighbor) to the local hospital.

As soon as we went into the waiting area a young nurse came up and sat on her heels to talk very politely to M-I-L while she held her hands.

Ten minutes later she was called into the doctors room. M-I-L was clearly frightened and the doctor noticed and he quickly moved my chair to sit alongside M-I-L, then he asked me in English what my relationship was with M-I-L and I explained. He then said 'are you close to her, would you feel relaxed to hold her hand'. I quickly did hold her hand, doctor now sitting on his heels in front of her chair, politely asking questions and showing her he wanted her to talk.

Full marks.  

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

My daughter had to pay the other day because it was a weekend and a holiday , they said the 30 baht scheme doesn’t apply on holidays

It applies regardless of the hour, the day, the week, the month, the season. You may find, however, that on public holidays staffing is quite low.  

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

There has been recent announcement about making it law that the card can be used at any government hospital but no confirmation on this point and it possibly take at lest several months to get / deny a confirmation.

The fee - when it was started there was a fee - about 30Baht, then the opposition party won a national election and they continued the scheme but cancelled all patient fees - everything free.

Then the party who started the scheme won the next national election and they reinstated the 30Baht fee. 

Sounds like a very small amount of money but for the very poor it's a sizeable amount of money.

My Thai in-laws love the scheme and overall are very happy with the service. They are all hoping the rules about only attending the hospital where you are registered is soon changed.  

Many years back I went to my Thai son's mother-in-laws house way up county in essan. Son, his wife and kids went off the day to participate in a sports carnival.

I stayed at the house with son's M-I-L, she lives in a wheelchair, she's illiterate, she told me she was feeling unwell. I quickly got help from a neighbor to get her and her chair into the cab of neighbor's pick up and we went (with neighbor) to the local hospital.

As soon as we went into the waiting area a young nurse came up and sat on her heels to talk very politely to M-I-L while she held her hands.

Ten minutes later she was called into the doctors room. M-I-L was clearly frightened and the doctor noticed and he quickly moved my chair to sit alongside M-I-L, then he asked me in English what my relationship was with M-I-L and I explained. He then said 'are you close to her, would you feel relaxed to hold her hand'. I quickly did hold her hand, doctor now sitting on his heels in front of her chair, asking questions and showing her he wanted her to talk.

Full marks.  

I was in a local hospital in Kalasin earlier this year and there were many people seeking treatment under the 30 Baht scheme. I must admit that the hospital seemed very busy for a small district hospital but I think everyone there would agree that this scheme is really important to them. In a couple of years this will be my local hospital when I transition from Social Security coverage to the 30 Baht scheme upon retirement. 

In my case, I thought I would have to pay for my treatment, I needed stitches, but the cashier asked me if I was on Social Security and when I answered that I was, she said treatment would be covered as it was classed as an emergency case. Had me sign a couple of forms. With Social Security you have to name your hospital and use that for all treatment except for emergencies or referrals.   

3 minutes ago, GarryP said:

In my case, I thought I would have to pay for my treatment, I needed stitches, but the cashier asked me if I was on Social Security

GaryP

I guess I don't understand.  I thought the 30 baht program was just for Thai citizens.  How is it that you qualified? 

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I was in a local hospital in Kalasin earlier this year and there were many people seeking treatment under the 30 Baht scheme. I must admit that the hospital seemed very busy for a small district hospital but I think everyone there would agree that this scheme is really important to them. In a couple of years this will be my local hospital when I transition from Social Security coverage to the 30 Baht scheme upon retirement. 

In my case, I thought I would have to pay for my treatment, I needed stitches, but the cashier asked me if I was on Social Security and when I answered that I was, she said treatment would be covered as it was classed as an emergency case. Had me sign a couple of forms. With Social Security you have to name your hospital and use that for all treatment except for emergencies or referrals.   

Do you have Thai citizenship? As if not you won't be eligible to come under the 30 baht scheme.  Can retain SS coverage after retirement by paying the premiums.

1 hour ago, Foghorn said:

My daughter had to pay the other day because it was a weekend and a holiday , they said the 30 baht scheme doesn’t apply on holidays

That is untrue. The scheme applies at all times.

However non emergency care is not available on weekends or holidays through the publuc channel. She likely used the private "after hours" clinic and for that one does have to pay.

Emergency care is available 24/7

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Sheyl,

Does she have to go to a specific hospital or any hospital close to where her home is? Live in m4 Huay Yai 20150.    If she has a choice of where to go for any treatment, is there one you would recommend.?  I am assuming that her coverage would be only at the hospitals run by the government.  

I think she can go to any hospital in her province. My wife went to our local hospital diagnosed with appendicitis, they have no surgeons, was transferred by ambulance on the ferry to the govt mainland hospital, spent 3or 4 days there, with all surgery and meds total cost 30 baht.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Do you have Thai citizenship? As if not you won't be eligible to come under the 30 baht scheme.  Can retain SS coverage after retirement by paying the premiums.

I got Thai citizenship four years ago. I can continue to pay SS for healthcare, but then I would not receive my SS pension and vice versa if I collect my pension, I can no longer pay for SS healthcare coverage. I will go for the latter as I will still be covered by the 30 Baht scheme.  

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I think she can go to any hospital in her province. My wife went to our local hospital diagnosed with appendicitis, they have no surgeons, was transferred by ambulance on the ferry to the govt mainland hospital, spent 3or 4 days there, with all surgery and meds total cost 30 baht.

To benefit from coverage, she needs to go to the hospital allocated for her area (based on house registration). However, as in your case, the hospital then referred your wife to a hospital capable of handling the matter. Had she gone to any other government hospital in her province, apart from her local one, she would have had to pay for treatment.  

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

brianthainess

Perhaps you can educate me.  I am from the USA and on social security.  Is there some program that I am eligible for? 

If you work for a large Thai company (pay tax) in *Thailand* or the government then you get SS is how i understand it . It has nothing to do with your home country.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If you work for a large Thai company (pay tax) in *Thailand* or the government then you get SS is how i understand it . It has nothing to do with your home country.

Not quite.  SSS is for employees of private companies with 15 or more employees (so not necessarily "large").  If you work for the government you get CSMBS.  They are different schemes with somewhat different benefits.  

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

GaryP

I guess I don't understand.  I thought the 30 baht program was just for Thai citizens.  How is it that you qualified? 

He is covered by Social Security, an employment based system. He has also appatently acquired Thai citizenship so can be covered by the "30 baht" scheme when he ceases to be under SS.

Thailand's universal health care scheme consists of 3 systems:

- Civil Service Social Security ( available only to those in the civil service but also covering their spouses, dependent children and I think parents)

- regular Social Security covering people employed in the (formal) private sector. Covers only the employee. Oaid for through payeoll deductions and can be continued for life after retirement if one continues to pay the premium.

- "30 baht" AKA "gold catd" scheme covers all Thai citizens not coveted by eithet of the 2 SS systems described above.

Many expats are covered by regular SS by reason of current or past employment in Thailand. Those married to a civil servant are covered under the civil service SS. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2020 at 12:29 PM, Thomas J said:

I am engaged to a Thai woman.  She was married and lived in Norway for 20 years before her divorce and relocation back to Thailand.  She owns a home here and has lived here for two years.  A neighbor told me about a 30 baht health plan for Thai's  I have tried to do some investigation on the internet but though there are articles about it, I can find nothing that says the program still exists, who is eligible and how a person enrolls.  Does anyone know the details of the program and can share them.  Thank you in advance. 

anyone with a Thai ID can get virtually free treatment at every government hospital but be warned some are very good and some are very bad. So much so that many Thais pay a fee instead of using the free service. if you use the free service your medicine is very much limited to which is made locally by the governmentf phamacy  office.   I get free treatment ( don't ask me how) I have used it a few times but I had to wait hours with all the paying Thais treated before me. And the medicine I received was extremely limited and most of it can be bought very cheaply in any drugstore. So I prefer to pay the 200 bt and get much better service.

Also note because of the virus pandemic with a Thai ID you can get treatment at any government hospital and no longer have to go to your home hospital.

23 hours ago, Chris.B said:

That's the Universal Health Care Scheme. I believe the 30 baht charge was dropped some years ago. If she has a Thai National ID card and a blue book with her name in it then she should have no problem.

She has to go to her local hospital.

No longer need to go to a local hospital can now get any government hospital. This is a new regulation. To stop people travelling back to their home to get medical treatment because of the virus pandemic