Losing weight but how do you reduce body fat %?

aksarhils53

I'm loving the inspiration of LoseIt - thank you, I've learned a lot so far. My question to those who have lost weight is whether your body fat drops at the same time, or if you had to do something extra to reduce it (i.e. weights?)

I've been counting calories via WW since beginning of the year, just updated my flair after reaching my first milestone (woo hoo!)
I'm 45/F/5'2'', 139 lbs with GW around 130; started at 145 after a high of 150.

Taking the "before" pictures was a mortifying experience, I don't think I realized I had that much excess fat. Seeing everyone's before and after pictures, I can't believe how much I can relate to the "before" images. My scale (Aria, by Fitbit) says my body fat is 35%. Is it normal to have it this high??? I run 2-4 days per week, 3-7 miles at a time. I've lost my first 6 pounds but the body fat has barely dropped, from 36%-37% to 35%.

Is it normal for body fat to start this high??? If I keep calorie counting and losing weight, will I see a big drop at some point? What has your experience with this been?

• 3 months later...

You shouldn’t trust the BF% your scale tells you but use it (1) as a rough ballpark figure, and (2) to track progression. If you really want to estimate your BF%, I would triangulate using different methods, including using a caliper and comparing yourself against BF% photos that you can find online. You can even join a Reddit where people post their photos to get other peoples’ opinion what their BFP is. 

Apart from that, I think many people, and women in particular, make the mistake of doing extensive cardio instead of lifting weights. Cardio will certainly burn fat, but (1) it will only burn for that session, whereas more muscles mean that you basal metabolic will be higher (I.e., your body will burn more energy even when you rest, because more muscles require more energy), and (2) it will not only burn fat but you will also lose some muscle mass. 

Finally, understand that certain body parts are more difficult to burn BF than others. You typically lose fat in your face first, and the last and most difficult part to reach is legs/ass/hips (for women) and belly (for men). 

If you want to lose BF, I would hit the gym 3 times a week lifting weights and doing some HIIT. Maybe an additional day for 30-60 minutes cardio. Calculate you calories and then stay in a slight calorie deficit (start with 200 calories maybe) and ensure you eat the right amount of proteins for your weight and BFP/FMM. 

Unless you want to do serious weightlifting/bodybuilding, there should be plenty of class-based gyms in Bangkok now that you can join, such as Encore, Base, etc. I think their group classes are still closed though. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 7:22 PM, aksarhils53 said:

My question to those who have lost weight is whether your body fat drops at the same time, or if you had to do something extra to reduce it (i.e. weights?)

I lost 10kg in 4 months, treadmill for 45 minutes after a black coffee first thing in the morning, 300 calorie target reached, in the afternoon half an hour doing weights to tone up.

I went onto to lose another 5kg a couple of months later but was looking to thin at 75kg and 183cm tall, so I put 5kg back on bulking up so to speak, weights will tone you and if you want to start cutting, that's another thing, but do keep up the cardio.

Remember 85% of weight loss starts in the kitchen, the other 15% is the gym.

Eat more protein rich foods which will keep you fuller for longer.