Moving to Thai farm Issaan

maulibels85

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Hey, that's what I do, but as I'm paying them a wage they can leave at any time.

Plenty more to 'pick' from, if the current woman leaves.

Most of the problems foreign men have in Thailand is their own fault for trying to illegally buy land using a Thai woman as a proxy. If you stick to the law, you won't have a problem.

I would say the biggest problem most have, they do not understand the simple rule, what you can not hold in your hand, you have to let go. The same goes for investment in Thailand that involves a girl and a family, or you are not a hardworking man, who understand what you invest in, and think the money going to work for you, as long you are paying. Everything you invest in Thailand you have to realize can be gone tomorow. 

Investments as follow

feelings And time as money

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I would say the biggest problem most have, they do not understand the simple rule, what you can not hold in your hand, you have to let go. The same goes for investment in Thailand that involves a girl and a family, or you are not a hardworking man, who understand what you invest in, and think the money going to work for you, as long you are paying. Everything you invest in Thailand you have to realize can be gone tomorow. 

Investments as follow

feelings And time as money

And that also involve real estate projects that is either on the plan, just started or also finished and been well run for many years. 

How many do you know who invested in a project estimated to be a good investment turned out to be either a flop, or you just cant  sell it. If you manage to finely sell it, you already lost time and money

Edited by Tagged

11 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Thai lady lures farang out to the farm, the classic tale. Reminded me of this, though in reverse. Go on YT and look up "Sara" by Starship. You may remember the classic 80's tune. The video goes like this:

1) Opening scene is of a farmhouse. A young lady angrily storms out of it, hops in her car, and leaves her man in the dust, on the long road back to civilization.

2) We then begin to learn through flashbacks, that the young man had inherited the farm from grandpa, and lured his city chick out there to try the farm life.

3) Initially it looked good, with drunken parties and dancing. We also see flashbacks to grandpa's happy childhood on the farm.

4) Then turmoil struck, in both pasts. Grandpa's mom too left the farm for some reason, down the same road. Then a tornado comes and rips through it. Interspersed with this, in the near past, the young couple's parties aren't so fun anymore.

5) Finally, the young man keeps staring down the road, reflecting on both pasts. The moral I guess is, while things turned out bad, it's nothing new really and could've been worse, and he and grandpa must both move on.

That’s deep man, I love you…

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tagged said:

you got quite a narrow mind if you can not see any advantages of living on the country side. 

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I only meant the music video resembles the general farang moving out to Issan situation. Some can't hack it, so then they must move on. Alternatively, you could look at is as despite inevitably encountering setbacks, you must push ahead with your goals or dreams.

I actually love it out here in the country. I just spent a year in BKK seeking a higher salary, decided it wasn't worth it, now me and the wife are back out here again. Yesterday we went fishing and had lunch out by the river, next to the "Misty Mountains" straight out of Lord of the Rings.

Now I'm looking out my bedroom window to the sunrise over a barn next door, much better than nothing but the condos next door, in our BKK condo.

IMG_20210502_072113.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

And that's great for you. Nobody here has said you are wrong - the OP asked opinions as he is considering moving to rural Isaan and starting a farming life when it would appear he has no experience of living there.  There are those that make a success of such a venture but I'd suggest that most who try it, fail.

Failure or success in such a venture will depend to a large extent on the actual location and just how remote it is.  It would be difficult to describe large areas of Isaan as 'beautiful countryside' - the reality is that its flat and boring, the weather is often extreme, even for Thailand and the culture can be very different to other parts of Thailand.  Farming can be a very, very hard life in Isaan.

That's without the issues of family etc. that I mentioned in my first post in this thread.  Those issues are very real - many here will recognise many of the 'attributes' I mentioned.  Its absolutely your right to put forward an alternative viewpoint but to descend into name calling and denial is just plain wrong.

Farming, whether it be commercial or hobby, can indeed be a very rewarding lifestyle but even in good locations, it can be a very hard life.  Anyone who's never had any experience of farming will find the the reality is very different to the dream but trying to propagate that dream in a remote area of North East Thailand is much more than just different - for some it will be totally impossible.

The OP is not only proposing a totally different lifestyle than he's ever been used to, he's proposing trying to live that life in what can be a very harsh location.

I remain of the view that he would be much better trying it for a few months before he commits any major investments to his plans.

Go back and read the op - a common problem on forums people do not return to check the information they spout is valid for the actual situation. This is not a guy who has just got off the plane he has done several 4 week stints so will have a pretty good idea regarding location, mosquitos, family, he has already commented on the heat........any other redundant negative advice you care to throw out?

Edited by 473geo

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

He's also a guy who's 6 month-old OP is the only past he's made anywhere but it's gotten 10 pages of advice already.

It's the perpetual Tvisa 'Friendly warnings' loop posting, continues until the tread is switched off ????

On 11/8/2020 at 4:41 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

That's nothing.

According to Google Maps I live in 11min walking distance to Nana and 15min to Soi Cowboy. ????

Yes, some people will class that as living.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Tagged said:

Some people will never get it, because they never experienced it. Yes, of course we would never found the place without help from our little lady as you so nicely put it. Further explanation should not be necessery. 

Family is important to the little girls as you call them, and not all family or every girl need to manipulate you to go back with them. It was an easy choice when covid arrived to move out of the city, and so far not regret it. Not every close family relation is bad, and for us rather very helpful to take care of her land and our animals when we travel. 

Also built myself an nice gym. The freedom lays in the space you can affort away from everything compare to 30 min away from Pattaya and Hua Hin as an example. Cant beat that feeling, but as said not everyone can understand it, and the same security vise when we travel. 

C6A581F4-8E2C-4249-ABDF-100CC7078404.jpeg

0114CEFF-3E8B-464B-AB91-0813B5D648BC.jpeg

E276B7BB-3DB3-4586-9B38-7A6A7CAB1ED1.jpeg

Nice set-up.. I could live with that. I've always been self-motivated when it comes to working out..

I would not need the treadmill though.. never been a runner/jogger.

1 minute ago, bobbin said:

Nice set-up.. I could live with that. I've always been self-motivated when it comes to working out..

I would not need the treadmill though.. never been a runner/jogger.

Incline walking good for my back problem, so no running here either. 

• Like 1

"I guess I've (and wife - Thai Issan) have decided to move to Thai Isaan and farm and build a house in a handful of years. She has land there given by her father. We met 5 years ago, Married 2.5 years ago, living in USA. I've been to Thailand 4 times, 4 weeks at a time. 2 weeks this coming April.

Looking forward to the farming life of fast-growing stuff, our own chickens/ducks. Selling fish to local shops. Just slap a house down, small pool, live in a peaceful, quiet area, live a different life."

Haha, you are living in a dream world, that ain't gonna happen like you dream.

I would do a few more trips to Thailand/Issan before you take the plunge.

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

One thing for sure, live there before you invest and put money in to something you will regret, that must be nr one rule. We started living with her family, and slowly I not only invested time I also start invest in her parents house. Upgraded her room with double walls and roof and aircon, then the bathroom, the kitchen, and finely insulated roof outside so It was possible to sit ounder roof when the sun cooking above our heads. After living there weeks and months between travelling and also had a appartment in Hua Hin, I was ready to do next step slowly with a farmland 3 and half rai, and a small bungalow, and the year after covid came and we decided to move out from Hua Hin. So the best advise he already got, go slow and do not invest anything in the beginning. I believe he got several advises like even in the first pages. 

Over many years you see those who coming here in love, exited and do not have time to build a relationship with the girl or her family before they burn their money in one go, and as everyone knows, what you think your budget is from beginning, you can easy double or triple. 

I understood from the op he has a property in the states and plans to build a small home in Isaan, give it a run for while then return to the states and sell his property there if all goes well. Seems like an ok plan to me including taking his time, not over extending.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris.B said:

"I guess I've (and wife - Thai Issan) have decided to move to Thai Isaan and farm and build a house in a handful of years. She has land there given by her father. We met 5 years ago, Married 2.5 years ago, living in USA. I've been to Thailand 4 times, 4 weeks at a time. 2 weeks this coming April.

Looking forward to the farming life of fast-growing stuff, our own chickens/ducks. Selling fish to local shops. Just slap a house down, small pool, live in a peaceful, quiet area, live a different life."

Haha, you are living in a dream world, that ain't gonna happen like you dream.

I would do a few more trips to Thailand/Issan before you take the plunge.

Every place I have been goingin Thailand I have been bored after awhile, including Isan, but the other destinations taste alot better after a few weeks or months in Isan. The sky is brighter, the sea is clearer and the food taste better. Its all about adding contrasts to life

17 hours ago, 473geo said:

Go back and read the op - a common problem on forums people do not return to check the information they spout is valid for the actual situation. This is not a guy who has just got off the plane he has done several 4 week stints so will have a pretty good idea regarding location, mosquitos, family, he has already commented on the heat........any other redundant negative advice you care to throw out?

Actually, the most common problem on TVisa are those that resort to slagging and name calling. Do you not realise that to many, once you head down that route, you've lost all credibility? I won't retaliate, I don't need to.

4 week stints indeed........ yes, that's real preparation for a life in deepest Isaan.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:34 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Here it's just us and not an entire village stopping by whenever they feel, no MIL and her entourage, no family drama in my sight.

Completely agree but according to 'one' member here, that's not a problem - your wife will deal with that quite easily ????.

Some people seem to think that all families are the same - they're not. My Mrs hates such behaviour too but is powerless to stop it.  Some people simply don't understand that in many Thai families, the matriarch remains all poweful until she dies.  That's been the case in just about every Isaan family I've come across - possibly most Thai families, I can't comment on other areas.  Its a culture clash and one that many of us can't compromise on - we like our privacy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Actually, the most common problem on TVisa are those that resort to slagging and name calling. Do you not realise that to many, once you head down that route, you've lost all credibility? I won't retaliate, I don't need to.

4 week stints indeed........ yes, that's real preparation for a life in deepest Isaan.

Thank you........finally.......because for some time now you have proved you have little more to add other than try to deflect valid criticism of your initial overly negative approach

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Completely agree but according to 'one' member here, that's not a problem - your wife will deal with that quite easily ????.

Some people seem to think that all families are the same - they're not. My Mrs hates such behaviour too but is powerless to stop it.  Some people simply don't understand that in many Thai families, the matriarch remains all poweful until she dies.  That's been the case in just about every Isaan family I've come across - possibly most Thai families, I can't comment on other areas.  Its a culture clash and one that many of us can't compromise on - we like our privacy.

Ah but you see I don't ever undermine the matriarchs, or attempt to, I am part of the family sure, have 4 family households within 200 meters all matriarchs. My mother in law who is most welcome in our house is the only one who has set foot in it in years. I am shown the utmost of respect when it comes to our family home. Considering it is built on land given to my wife by her mother even more so. Do you understand how enjoyable it is for young children to play and roam, and how comforting for all to know there is always an eye on them?

Oh by the way I gave a distant relative sixty baht yesterday for a bottle of Lao khao, not seen him for 3 years please don't take to your bed as I know how painful this vision is to many

9 hours ago, 473geo said:

Thank you........finally.......because for some time now you have proved you have little more to add other than try to deflect valid criticism of your initial overly negative approach

Valid? You may note that your views are in the minority here.  All I have done is to point out some of the difficulties that the OP may face with his plans.  Your reaction was to jump to Isaan's defence and state that I was wrong - yet others have reported the same issues.

You may possibly think that I'm a 'Thai basher', I'm not at all but there are major cultural differences between some Thai families and their Western counterparts.  Some people find those differences difficult, if not impossible to live with.  There is then the issue of isolation - some parts of Isaan are extremely isolated, regardless of your views.  You are happy with your situation and that's fine for you but most foreigners would not want that situation - as one poster pointed out, he's had around 30 foreigners come to live in his area, 3 or 4 remain.

You stated in one post that I failed to point out any positive points about life in Isaan - correct. Depending on the location, the few positive points are generally outweighed by the negatives but I stress, like most things property-wise, its down to location.

You also slated me by stating 'for a supposed farmer you come across as a bit of a wus' when I had clearly stated that I am not a farmer - and that in reaction to a post where I had stated you were 'skim reading' and missing points. You did exactly the same again in your haste to counter my statements ????.

You may note that I do actually point out quite a few positive attributes to living in Isaan - again, down to location.  I'm very happy with where I live in Isaan for example, there are quite a few Westerners living happily around there and just about all of the ones that arrived after me are still there.

So I'll just repeat a summary of my views on the the OP's plans - so as to avoid any confusion:  Life in some parts of Isaan can be very diffcult for a Westerner.  There are issues with heat, family and isolation etc. etc. - especially in a farming situation. Life in rural Isaan is not for everyone and I'd suggest the vast majority of Westerners that try to settle there fail.

I would recommend that anyone considering such a move tries a six month stint (at least) there before committing to any major investment.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, 473geo said:

Do you understand how enjoyable it is for young children to play and roam, and how comforting for all to know there is always an eye on them?

With the exception of my grandchildren, I find kids running around all over the place pretty annoying actually - but that's just me, never been a 'kid' person.  I'd suggest that a farm is actually quite a dangerous place for kids to be roaming around.

Without getting into too much detail - as its moving off topic.  Do you understand how dangerous to children some of those eyes are in Isaan?  Are you aware of what goes on behind closed doors regularly in Isaan?  Not my views - something confirmed to me by my wife.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

With the exception of my grandchildren, I find kids running around all over the place pretty annoying actually - but that's just me, never been a 'kid' person.  I'd suggest that a farm is actually quite a dangerous place for kids to be roaming around.

Without getting into too much detail - as its moving off topic.  Do you understand how dangerous to children some of those eyes are in Isaan?  Are you aware of what goes on behind closed doors regularly in Isaan?  Not my views - something confirmed to me by my wife.

Oh my god are there no lengths you will go to to try and prove a point

I would never ever take advice from somebody as yourself who continually highlights worse case scenarios.

Ok I could be dead tomorrow, so I think spending no more time responding to you is the best way forward

And I will of course keep my word on that, unlike yourself, goodnight

Edited by 473geo

3 hours ago, bermondburi said:

Pot, kettle, hmmmm??????

He gave a very reasonable REPLY IMO.

I don't seem to be able to get it through to him that he's very much in the minority. Several times I've said that if his lifestyle suits him, that's great but depending on the location, it won't suit most so a try-out is recommended.

The problems I've mentioned about living in rural Isaan are nothing new, I've made no revelations, they're common knowledge to most people who have experience of living in rural Isaan.

I'm beginning to think that maybe the real problem is that he's struggling to convince himself that he enjoys his lifestyle.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, How2 said:

Ah Yes.....well we are in the COVID-19  year of  2021. And  me? well I am 70 years old... born in post War-II,  1951, a baby boomer. My Thai wife of 20 years is 45 going thru mid-life and all that entails. But lucky enough we built a Thai house with cash when we met.... 18 years ago.  Now?  Well NO payments! With two gardens we grow "ALL" our food. This includes-  tomatoes, avocados, romaine lettuce, coffee, some happy weed (You know Mary Jane), egg plant, and the usual .... Mango, bananas, rice, lemon grass, limes. With 8 cows, 50 free range chickens (meat and egg's), 6 turkey's.... what's not to like?

The ecent Thai upgrade to 5G internet has been a boon in my life, an Android TV black box...life can not get better. Spotify and Netflix are my monthly  entertainment expenses worth every penny.

I would never move back to a $1,000,000 house in Toronto, New York, Los Angeles, London, Vancouver, Seattle, Boston, Hong Kong, Singapore, Victoria.... I have "No" monthly payments....none! (Electric and Internet excepted) .  This is paradise, Issan is "FREEDOM" it is as "good as it gets". A happy Thai wife is a hppy life. A Issan Thai wife who loves the farm is worth her weight in GOLD. Give me Issan or what?  A  COVID infested, crowded, over congested city, full of sad, stressed out, monthly payment, lost humanity ...chasing empty, unsustainable, ego eccentric, materialism. The world is coming to find that Issan like areas ARE the paradise model for humanity, a supportable, sustainable stoic life, sensible, balanced in tune with nature and the earth...  as our friend wrote

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication! 

Leonardo Da Vinci

Yoda knows

Farm life in Issan for someone over 70 yo can be indeed something great

however the main concern at this age could be where is the nearest hospital ?

And how long it takes for you to reach this hospital if you have an heart attack 

or a problem like that in the middle of the night?

Of course i wish you the best with your health, but imo you can not avoid

to ask to yourself this important question

18 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Farm life in Issan for someone over 70 yo can be indeed something great

however the main concern at this age could be where is the nearest hospital ?

And how long it takes for you to reach this hospital if you have an heart attack 

or a problem like that in the middle of the night?

Of course i wish you the best with your health, but imo you can not avoid

to ask to yourself this important question

Agree completely with How2. I am a year or so younger and an accident resulting in a bad break of my leg. Yes, planning for accidents is important, but remote Isaan is not necessarily an issue.

I was 15 km from the local hospital. It was late Sunday afternoon and we were in a small villlage wat. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital arriving within an hour of the fall. An hour later with XRays taken and leg immobilised, and another ambo ride to the province main hospital I was being examined by the orthopedic surgeon. I was operated on the next day. 

I feel no more at risk here than I would be back in Australia.

• Like 1