Moving to Thai farm Issaan

maulibels85

3 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Just the bugs I hear right now, and the sunset is really nice out here. 

Totally with you on that. Looks like you had a hell of a wind over the rice, it will be a bitch to harvest

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TSF said:

Yep, gotta agree with all that. I've spent the past 9 months in TGF's tucked-away little village in rural Korat. In one way it's been good as it's probably one of the safest spots on planet Earth as far as covid goes. But the boredom is terrible. Smoke is also terrible, all locals burn their sh*t including all their plastic waste. Sitting outside in the evening is near impossible because someone in the vicinity will be burning. If there's not something happening like a funeral or a wedding, where the sound system speakers are set up on scaffolding like a Guns N Roses concert, then most people go to bed around 9PM. Then the village belongs to the dogs; they roam the streets in packs howling at the moon, or fighting for their shot as they pack rape one of the bitches. Anyway, I'm getting near the end of my time here. Next week I'll be moving on.

Ha....that brings all the memories flooding back.....give me the chaos of Bangkok anytime.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robin said:

I have been in Phayao village for 15 yrs now, and these warnings:-

1.  Everything you bring into Thailand you will have to leave in Thailand if you decide the life is not for you.

2.  Unless you are fluent in Thai, speaking and reading/writing you will be totally dependant on your wife, for all negotiation with local businesses.

3.  If you are building a house, everything costs more and takes longer than you expect, or the Thai workmen tell you.

4.  Do not expect anything to be done to US standards.  Thai workmen are cheaper than US for the reason that you only get what you pay for, if you are lucky.  You might have been an expert in your field in US, but any Thai will think that he knows more than you.

5.  Fish, or any other farming is organised for the benefit of the big Agro. businesses, CP or others, and you cannot change or fight that.

There is a reason that most Thai farmers are referred to as "poor Thai farmers"

6.  Never lend money to any Thai unless you are prepared to not be paid back.  As a farang, they will think that you can afford not to be repaid.

I would agree with all of your points, except #1.

I can withdraw all my cash from my Thai bank accounts, and convert it to another currency which I can take out of Thailand.

Or I can let the bank convert it for another currency, then transfer it overseas.

Or simply buy gold here, and sell it in my home country.

Re point #6, my Thai GF occasionally asks me if she can borrow 1000 baht. We look at each other, then both laugh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mister T said:

Totally with you on that. Looks like you had a hell of a wind over the rice, it will be a bitch to harvest

Not at all, it provides employment for the village women as the mechanical harvesters can't pick it up. They either get 200 baht/day to harvest by hand, or they have the option of gleaning the rice for free. Seems like it's a 50:50 split in my GF's village.

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thai roosters have no time sense, they are crowing at 2 am. I'm used to it.

Honestly you can't never be used to it

it's really a PITA, particularly when the roosters (And the dogs) are at only few meters

from your room and your house is ''thai style'' without real windows 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

Doesn't worry me anymore

i have escaped from the hell hole 2 years ago already

i never take any meds, especially for sleeping

I'll take a Codiphen ( drowsy antihistamine ) once or twice a week if I feel like I need a good night's sleep. Non-addictive, negligible side effects, at least for me.

When you are my age, you realize a little chemical assistance won't hurt, as long as it is used judiciously.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

I didn't live in Issan, but in the village I was surprised how noisy it was. The monks with the amplified chanting at 5 am or sometime like that, the talking petrol pump in the morning when people going to work, those noisy small trucks etc. No peace and no quiet.

No problem with monks chanting at 5 am we are up anyway ???? I find the chanting quite relaxing while I have some breakfast and coffee. Sure the occasional funeral do or wedding party, but over all, unless one is totally bereft of intelligent thought, it is not too difficult to find an acceptably quiet corner of Thailand

• Like 2
  • Sad 1