Moving to Thai farm Issaan

maulibels85

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You have to admire all the posts that begin with "I plan on moving in 5 years" as if nothing will ever change?

Who knows what Thailand will be in 5 years or how they will manage to come out of the financial mess they are in due to the pandemic?

Any one want to guess on the baht rate 5 years from now?

In Isaan, they speak a different dialect of Thai. 

If you can manage NEVER speaking with anyone but your wife the rest of your life, you will be just fine.

As far as farming? Back-breaking work with no return ever. The system is set up so all the millers and middle men make the money while the farmers barely survive.

Try farming when it is 110f outside and there is no water to be found.

Not for you then ????

15 hours ago, Surelynot said:

He will only need to put in 400,000 for a few months (2 or 3?) each year if he goes for a marriage extension.

Trouble is it's an unneeded worry.

As suggested before, put the B800000 in the bank and forget about it. Think of the B800000 like life insurance, so when you die your wife will have enough money to keep going.

(Mind you the way they spend money it might only last a short time. :). It's the thought that counts. ????)

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thai roosters have no time sense, they are crowing at 2 am. I'm used to it.

We have a deranged rooster. Names 'Tong' or similar sounding to this deaf falang. They're all called 'Tong'. This ones called 'eeeee Tong' said in a harsh voice. 

So the Thai niece came over for a visit from a far of country just before the lockdown started. She got stuck here. So after a few months she complained about all the 'Tong' noise and all the chickens/Tongs were banished to one of the farms, except this little white chicken they couldn't catch. The chicken grew and was all alone (sob) so BIL got a rooster to keep it company. Now just the 2 of them wonder around the compound and this <deleted>****g or 'eeee Tong' crows all day and all night. 

Joys of living in Isaan.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thai roosters have no time sense, they are crowing at 2 am. I'm used to it

IMentioned it to my Thai Sister in Law 2 days ago. Asked <deleted> are 

with these chickens. Back home long long ago grandpa had chickens... cackle in the morning... these cackle seems like anytime...and night ..hmm maybe they are in competition with 

howling barking dogs..... we’re on the outskirts of the small village..

OP .. I’ve live in Isaan just on the outskirts of small village 5 years coming January. As others suggested rent for 6 months or longer

to make sure you both can adjust enough to enjoy.

Fortunately we’re 3/4 km from the village center and don’t hear 

the loud music much, If Heat is a concern plan your adventure 

So your here when it’s hot. Now up in NE daytime @ 30 c which

nice in my opinion. 

We must of got lucky when we built our house done a little esrlier

than schedule and right on budget. The guy who owns the business 

Spoke very little English. If i had any questions or comments he had me write it down and next morning have an answer in English 

Same if he had a question or comments. 

His crew was here every day 08:00 to @ 17:00. He wasn’t here 

One day that he had to go to Udon Thani to order and pick up 

material. Very professional no drinking alcohol during work hours. 

I mentioned no drinking because we had a parameter block fence

built a different group of guys 1/2 work 1/2 drink...

Hooe whatever you decide all goes well...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adiudon said:

I have everything I need here all within 25 km drive or ride, I sometimes do a 50 km round trip for a loaf of bread !, maybe crazy but up to me, I don't care.

I have a roundtrip of 160 kom to closest city, and the city I like around 260 km roundtrip. Who says you are crazy ????

However I have everything I need right here right now, so not worried. It is my freedom to choose, and man, how good it feels to go on holiday to these boring beaches after a month up in the village ???? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Think long and hard about it always remember you are a 3rd class citizen here in Thailand you can learn to speak Thai but all these people up in Sticky rice land can speak Issan so that will really confuse you.

Im sure you have heard the saying all farangs are a walking ATM believe me thats what you will be.

I think many of us could give you loads of stories.

I knew a guy who was thinking similar to you it turned into a complete disaster he built a nice house for him and his wife or so he thought, the whole family just took over no privacy what so ever, this guy was still working the usual 1 month on 1 month off he would come back from work and the house would be trashed, he also did the farming bit thinking he was helping the family, they just took everything until there was no business left thinking he would just keep throwing money at it.

His so called brothers in laws were going to the shops getting a couple of beers and saying Farang pay he used to come to a big bill for all the beers they had.

2 years he had enough and left, 

I do not think this is the norm, but yes you hear stories like this all the time. 

I have her parents working with us 4 days a week, and then long weekend where they do their things on their land or home. If my gf need to see them, she go there. It is okay to set limits and not get used by them, but also help them is of course part of it. So I give them work and free fruit and vegetables, and if they sell something on the marked, they come back with the money as they should do. 

Warning signs is trouble in the family, drinking, yaba, gambling, and family conflicts with uncles and aunties as cousins, sister and brothers. I have heard stories, but not seen examples myself. Maybe been lucky.

know you gf and her friends, as family, and be aware of you will marrying the whole family for good and bad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Trouble is it's an unneeded worry.

As suggested before, put the B800000 in the bank and forget about it. Think of the B800000 like life insurance, so when you die your wife will have enough money to keep going.

(Mind you the way they spend money it might only last a short time. :). It's the thought that counts. ????)

Planning on dying penniless......timing is everything....555

9 hours ago, kickstart said:

So I have been told minimum  price of rice this year is 15000 baht/ton ,not a bad price ,government is helping out ,so the middle men will not be making all the money .

Rumor on you quote.???? All rice mills that I passed on a 115 km drive it was a heck of alot of them..11 baht kilo by me up to 13 baht kilo an that is for #1 rice which you are not going to get. BTW this was on the 214 highway straight up the heart of Surin.

Edited by khwaibah

23 minutes ago, cooked said:

I spent the last 10 years of my working life without employees so have no problem with this.

To stay sane I prefer not to learn Isan, I understand some thai, but that is not more than just basic to get trough the day, and of course alot of misunderstandings and confusion.

The language will always be a problem I learn't to speak Thai pretty quick in the early days I did go to school and I used to write down 5 words a day mainly things we do everyday I did work them days, I picked up on the accents how they say Walve not Valve.

I never let them know how much Thai I could understand I've caught them out a few times slagging me off thinking I dont understand.

I cant sit and listen to them all day gives me headache, when you do understand them they are only talking rubbish all day.

Like I say to most people give it a trail run 3 months here 3 months there and only rent, personally I did look at other places as far up as Loei that was too remote, Udon Thanni nope, CM nope, I prefer down south being honest I wanted to be near the beaches thats where I am now even that 20 years ago was not easy we didn't have an ATM in the area, no 7/11 nor a bakery

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Like I say to most people give it a trail run 3 months here 3 months there

I spent decent time at their family house, upgraded the bathroom and their kitcen and our bedroom. Well worth money and time spent. No red flags, and I found out they was decent people, and the rest of the family to, and especially no big drama inside the family. The neighborhood and the village the same. Of course som yaba heads, gamblers next door keeps you awake once and awhile, the morning ritual with a shot of lao khao before work at the smal local shop, but non of her closest family drink anything anymore. So to keep investing for my future with my gf was an easy move especially after seing the helping their daughter out with the new land and not asking for money. I guess they invested in me as I did in them, and it pays off I think. But there is a but, if you feel it is only going one way, and you provide everything, just forget it, that feeling will not let go and will hunt you as long your relationship last. Been there done that, and got out of it early enough to take it as a good lesson learned. 

Our monthly basic  budget with electric, salery to parents, food, diesel and gas. 30 000,- cant beat that anywhere else. 

Of course insurance, travels and other things is kept outside. 

Living like this make the holidays alot better, and we have daily routines that keeps the life interesting and boring enough to feel releif to get off for a week or two. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 3:52 AM, bodga said:

I  would bank on none of that  happening, peaceful and quiet in the country is  not so peaceful, youll get weekly thud  thud  music  coming from miles around, the fish you wont make money on recently had someone come get ours and it was a  total waste of  time, I have them for pets, they are worth nothing. Itll be different alright, be prepared for the endless  gossip and BS about what youve been up to, any problems the finger  will  point at you......repeatedly

Sadly I would have to agree as Ive lived out in the sticks, not even in isaan, just a bit outside the city...(thud thud)

not much to do than gather up some lao kao and friends with your buddies and the one with a karaoke machine

Im sure the buffaloes are lining up as the gossip travels fast about a new farang coming to town.....aka teerak ????

• Like 1