Moving to Thai farm Issaan

maulibels85

On 11/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, olfu said:

Even GF cost arm and leg. 

I stay in US because its cheaper than Thailand.

May even cost you your 3rd leg if she catches you cheating!

I live in LOS as i find the US too $$$$$....how do you explain US being cheaper than LOS???..maybe midwest

2 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

May even cost you your 3rd leg if she catches you cheating!

I live in LOS as i find the US too $$$$$....how do you explain US being cheaper than LOS???..maybe midwest

Yes, its cheaper in US if you do it right. First of all be single so you control money, second move to warm area to remind about LOS, third save money and wait for economy to crash, then build your own house for retirement or profit. Dont cook--supermarkets sells cooked food.

And be what you are--nobody.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, olfu said:

Yes, its cheaper in US if you do it right. First of all be single so you control money, second move to warm area to remind about LOS, third save money and wait for economy to crash, then build your own house for retirement or profit. Dont cook--supermarkets sells cooked food.

And be what you are--nobody.

Live in a trailer park,  cheep as hell, and good solid neighboorhood as well, where everybody care for everybody

To add to the above, I suggest you think twice about a swimming pool. It sounds like a brilliant idea, but anyone with a swimming pool in the north becomes obsessed with fixing pumps and keeping it clean. It really is a lot more trouble than it's worth, and any town worth its salt usually has swimming pools available which are completely empty outside of school hours.

People are right about the loneliness however independent you are. 

I speak Thai but the Thai sense of humor, and talking about the price of rice or rubber gets very boring after a while. Also I don't enjoy alcohol so watching the Thais rolling around drunk, or high on yaba in the village is not very impressive.

Having said all that I love living in Thailand and would certainly suggest you consider a previous posters idea of having two homes.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 4:24 PM, NCC1701A said:

i live i two place now. Hua Hin for starters and now Bangkok. 

I go back and forth.

my suggestion to you as someone from Los Angeles but had property in Montana is that you have two places. One up north and one somewhere else like Bangkok or Pattaya that has more activity. Think of it like living in Montana and going to Arizona for the winter. 

i sold everything i owned. all of it and came to Thailand with a few bags of clothes. It was a amazing experience to sell everything and live very simply for the first few years. no car. no sofa. no flatscreen. but after seven years i found myself in the Ford dealership in Bangkok last week looking at FX4 pickup trucks.  Don't need a truck, but no matter where you go there you are. By the way, your wife will want a Isuzu pickup. This may be the first true test of your marriage. haha.

just don't think in absolutes. 

Agree, I am the Same split my time between our farm near NamNao

( beautiful place /climate /clean air) and Bkk

Plus go touring on my Motorbike . This keeps Bordem away.

At 70 still cant stay  stationary long for periods lol.

On 11/5/2020 at 4:51 PM, 473geo said:

Well here is the thing, during covid lockdowns in the UK it became easy to appreciate life without the everyday noise and pollution of vehicles, aircraft and the like, in a society that has forgotten how to walk. Hence I am very pleased that my arrival in the peaceful setting of Isaan is not too far away covid willing.

Enjoy

I am presuming you mean the Thai society has forgotten how to walk-Have you noticed how short Thai peoples legs are getting? From a very early age Thais are sat on a motorcycle, I am sure that future generations will be born without legs as they will not need them to walk.

On 11/5/2020 at 5:20 PM, Saltire said:

Good advice earlier to have 2 places in Thailand, one in the village and one somewhere with a bit of life about it.

Wife and I in tha village 3 years now (not Issan but similar) and yes it can be mind-numbingly boring and covid scuppered our plan of having a break somewhere every 4 or 5 weeks.

Plan B is now when her father pegs it (he's 96) we will find somewhere, probably in Hua Hin, to rent for longer breaks from the village, maybe alternate months.

Comments about fish agree, been there done it, not worth the effort I'm afraid.

Very similar to me Saltire, I do miss my fortnightly visits to Chiang Mai as it is not worth the bother with not many people around. I manage well with the isolation but one or two arguments with my Thai wife leave me feeling that I need a break from the family for a few days when I realise that there are not many people in the village I can talk to apart from a guy from Singapore but he is deeply Buddist and he does not drink.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

Very similar to me Saltire, I do miss my fortnightly visits to Chiang Mai as it is not worth the bother with not many people around. I manage well with the isolation but one or two arguments with my Thai wife leave me feeling that I need a break from the family for a few days when I realise that there are not many people in the village I can talk to apart from a guy from Singapore but he is deeply Buddist and he does not drink.

I get you completely - I am the only farang in the village, even the closest town an hour away has only one or 2 foreigners, and never see them anyway.

Congratulations though on finding a Buddist that doesn't drink!

• Haha 1

There are so many possibilities in Thailand as to where to live a quiet lifestyle, without living in some remote village. Not saying living in a small village an hour away from nearest 7-11 is bad but it's not necessary.

• Like 1

I have lived in an Isaan village for 10 years. Fortunately Udon Thani is only 2 miles away so shopping, bars etc. available.

It was tough at first because no mains water, no air-conditioning, no internet and only thai language TV. Fortunately all those things now available, in all but the most remote villages.

Heat - yes, can be a problem. And i find it worse now than 10 years ago, maybe age, but climate has changed too. So whatever you build, think about that first. 

If you are not a barfly, can be a bit boring. The internet and Netflix are a great help. Try to make a small group of friends, and try to meet up regularly - it certainly helps your sanity!

Apart from this, yes you need some hobbies - i do gardening, fishing and aquaculture. AND ALL ARE CHALLENGING.

Gardening - mainly a couple off hours in the morning, then too hot. Cool days are not common. Weeds grow really fast, and many (mainly grasses) have deep underground roots. A cleared plot can become a rough lawn in a month in wet season.

Fishing - the locals will strip any public pond or canal bare of fish very quickly, hence usually no fishing allowed in public parks. Most lakes and ponds have an owner, so do not assume you can fish there even if it looks deserted. Fishing parks have some fish, but often poorly stocked. We have some ponds which are available for fishing, but when you open, busy for one month - after that most of your fish have gone!

I have done the growing fish in a pond idea (and still try!) but yes, it is hard to make money. Last year spent 9,000 baht on fish food and got 3,000 baht for fish back ..... Your family will not have a clue how to do it commercially and will overstock if they get a chance. So your fish farm  needs a lot of planning and firm management. Most of us just end up with a pond for family fish consumption.

Have done ducks - just about broke even (my labour free).

So all these activities are frustrating, and non-profit making, but can keep you busy!

I do enjoy life here, but if i wished for one thing, it would be for temperature to be 5 degrees cooler.

On 11/5/2020 at 3:52 PM, bodga said:

I  would bank on none of that  happening, peaceful and quiet in the country is  not so peaceful, youll get weekly thud  thud  music  coming from miles around, the fish you wont make money on recently had someone come get ours and it was a  total waste of  time, I have them for pets, they are worth nothing. Itll be different alright, be prepared for the endless  gossip and BS about what youve been up to, any problems the finger  will  point at you......repeatedly

3 meter walks and get ear plugs at drugstore before you come , set up some frozen Farang food Companies Korat Chef etc , you should be 2 hours from family so not begging all the time 

Just now, Ireland32 said:

3 meter walks and get ear plugs at drugstore before you come , set up some frozen Farang food Companies Korat Chef etc , you should be 2 hours from family so not begging all the time 

3 meter walls and double glazed windows 

On 11/5/2020 at 4:23 PM, Phoenix Rising said:

"I guess I've (and wife - Thai Issan) have decided to move to Thai Isaan and farm and build a house in a handful of years."

My deepest condolences. I sincerely hope your ability to cope with boredom is immense!:thumbsup:

I went for 3years uggggggg, Never Again give me a condo on 30 th floor 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Why would anyone want to go back?

It's even worse there, and most of the countries want to lock you up at home for the foreseeable future.

Probably not as bad as a farm in Issan though, I only managed that for 2 nights (Korat), never to return.

Tried it again outside Issan (LomSak) to see if it was any better, nope, only managed another 2 nights.

Then a lady took me up to Nan for 4 nights, just as bad, but at least not quite so hot.

I want a city, bars, restaurants, swimming pools, Tesco, Makro, 7-11, BigC all within easy reach.

Korat was dreadful, Bore 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems some people think if the next 7-11 is within half an hour motorcycle distance that is "easy reach".

I've got 2x 7-11, BigC mini, and a swimming pool within 200m of my front door.

Too many booze shops and mom and pop stores to count.

If I expand my range to 1Km, I can include an Olympic pool (MaeJo uni), another 5 7-11, and a Tesco.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've got 2x 7-11, BigC mini, and a swimming pool within 200m of my front door.

Too many booze shops and mom and pop stores to count.

If I expand my range to 1Km, I can include an Olympic pool (MaeJo uni), another 5 7-11, and a Tesco.

That's nothing.

According to Google Maps I live in 11min walking distance to Nana and 15min to Soi Cowboy. ????

• Haha 1