Socket sets 1/2"

pookett

The time has come to purchase a metric, half inch drive, socket set.

Major preference for Hex over multi-tooth.

Not looking for uber quality but don't recognise the brands sold here. Use will be for bicycle and old scooter maintenance mainly.

The in store prices seem a bit nuts, Lazada has prices all over the place for the same items making it difficult to judge their possible quality grade.

As a guide I used to have a Halfords set (lost during move) that was very long lasting, only breaking one socket due to my own misuse.

What's good value out there?

In this market go for Sata.  You will find them on Lazada. 

Sata are a Chinese brand but they are excellent quality and reasonably priced.  The company is a joint venture with an American tool brand but I don't remember which one.  I used Sata for the best part of a decade when I worked in China and I have five tool chests full of their tools here in Thailand.

I actually reach for the Sata tools first in preference to the British and German tools I have from quality brands such as Britool and Stahwille.

I generally try and avoid Chinese products but the one exception I make is Sata tools. 

I have bought many different brands of tools, nearly all have rusted even though i have wiped them down with an oily rag before storage.

However, King Tony is quite expensive and has yet to rust.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/king-tony-25-12-4-6-4326mr-i281074136-s455517665.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.28.1c3af98cbeTc1K&search=1

Thanks for the answers.

The SATA brand looks a dead ringer for Kamasa, which are decent enough.

The Euro King tools I've met before and they really don't last or put up with any force, had half a spanner head break clean off with only hefty, bare hand effort.

Had to research King Tony which seems to have a good rep. A coin flip between these and Sata....