Minks discovered possibly spreading new coronavirus infection, plans to cull its entire Denmark mink population

RichCor

I was wondering when ongoing cross-species coronavirus infection would be discovered and what mitigation methods would be applied   ...OK, this seems pretty drastic.

Denmark plans to cull its mink population after coronavirus mutation spreads to humans
REUTERS | WORLD NEWS | NOVEMBER 4, 20209:41 PM

COPENHAGEN (Reuters) - Denmark will cull its mink population of up to 17 million after a mutation of the coronavirus found in the animals spread to humans, the prime minister said on Wednesday.

“We have been informed by Denmark of a number of persons infected with coronavirus from mink, with some genetic changes in the virus,” WHO said in a statement emailed to Reuters in Geneva. “The Danish authorities are investigating the epidemiological and virological significance of these findings.”

>> Click the above newslink to read the full article, or click here on Google News to find more 'Mink cull" and "Minks susceptible to Covid-19" articles around the world.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Don't worry. They are not talking about wild animals.

They are talking about the mink farms.

Even if they kill wild minks...that is a good thing, as they are an invasive introduced species in Europe

..from releases and escapes from mink farms.

They harm native wildlife and have caused the native European mink (a different species) to be virtually extinct now. 

Perhaps some scientist could claim that American grey squirrels in the UK are spreading corona then. They are an introduced species and wiping out the native red squirrel. They could certainly do with eliminating from Britain.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps some scientist could claim that American grey squirrels in the UK are spreading corona then. They are an introduced species and wiping out the native red squirrel. They could certainly do with eliminating from Britain.

That would be very difficult as they are free roaming and not caged up in fur farms. 

On 11/6/2020 at 10:17 AM, jak2002003 said:

That would be very difficult as they are free roaming and not caged up in fur farms. 

On uk news they are showing teams in hazmat suits heading for mink farms in the north of Denmark.

The worry is that the new strain  may be vaccine resistant so that's why UK is stopping entry  of people from Denmark.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, overherebc said:

On uk news they are showing teams in hazmat suits heading for mink farms in the north of Denmark.

The worry is that the new strain  may be vaccine resistant so that's why UK is stopping entry  of people from Denmark.

"No reason to worry", they say...

North Denmark in lockdown over mutated virus in mink farms

In seven northern Danish municipalities with some 280,000 residents sport and cultural activities have been suspended, public transportation has been stopped and regional borders have been closed. Only people with so-called “critical functions” such as police and health officials and different authorities are being permitted to cross municipal boundaries.

No problem. Says WHO?

• Like 2

I always thought of Denmark as a kind, friendly, humane country. Now I read that they are the biggest mink producer in the world simply for their fur. Disgusting practice.

At least the pigs there are for making bacon.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I always thought of Denmark as a kind, friendly, humane country. Now I read that they are the biggest mink producer in the world simply for their fur. Disgusting practice.

The meat doesn't go in the trashcan . , no not for human consumption but animal food etc ...

Stop thinking in 1 direction , think beyond your nose ... nothing goes to waste .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

There is a lot of ''indoctrination'' regarding Denmark...Having lived here for more than 10 years, I can assure you is not the paradise, som media outlets, are selling.Certainly not the happiest country in the world(at least for non-danes)...But they work hard to show you that their happiness is better and ''happier'' than yours, combined with Jante Law, which seems to dictate their social life, and their inferiority complex, which quickly swifts to arrogance.

Example of danish thinking...The US election have (also) been decided by a dane...The other lady who was a candidate, cannot remember her name, has actually danish roots and a major danish news channel wrote that she could be the reason why Trump lost the election, as she took votes from him...

Edited by drenddy

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

So the Virus is mutating ,that's when they can get very dangerous,...

I mean really dangerous, 

Somewhat melodramatic don't you think?

Mutation. The word naturally conjures fears of unexpected and freakish changes. Ill-informed discussions of mutations thrive during virus outbreaks, including the ongoing spread of SARS-CoV-2. In reality, mutations are a natural part of the virus life cycle and rarely impact outbreaks dramatically.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41564-020-0690-4

On 11/5/2020 at 7:52 PM, chickenslegs said:

I don't know which sounds more dangerous - a coronavirus that can spread to humans, or wiping out a whole species of predator.

Is it even possible to accurately predict the effects on the balance of nature?

I had a Staphylococcus Aureus infection deep inside my knee, which is a bacteria. 

The hospital's whole station was diseased, and it mutated almost every week so that different medicine was needed.

But some strains were not treatable with any existing Antibiotic.

When COVID-19 spread around the globe this year, David Montefiori wondered how the deadly virus behind the pandemic might be changing as it passed from person to person. Montefiori is a virologist who has spent much of his career studying how chance mutations in HIV help it to evade the immune system. The same thing might happen with SARS-CoV-2, he thought.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02544-6#:~:text=Compared with HIV%2C SARS-CoV,from people with COVID-19.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:03 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

The black squirrels are taking care of the grey ones.

Covid Outbreak in Mink That Was Dismissed Now Has World Worried

Bloomberg | By Tim Loh and Morten Buttler | November 7, 2020

...Frederiksen warned that certain strains of the coronavirus -- having apparently jumped from mink back into humans -- developed mutations that could undermine the efficacy of any vaccines.

In total, Danish officials have detected 214 cases of people infected with a mink-related strain of the virus.

One mink-related strain of the coronavirus has four different alterations in the spike protein genes, officials said. That virus was detected on five different mink farms in Denmark’s north and in the samples of 12 people, only four of whom were directly connected with a farm, authorities said. That’s one reason to believe that some mink-related virus strains are transmitting from people to people, the officials said.

At Wednesday’s press briefing, Frederiksen addressed the country’s mink farmers directly: “You’re losing your life’s work, which in some cases has been passed down through generations. The government is well aware that this is a day of mourning for those of you who work in this industry.”

But the situation is “very, very serious,” she said. “Not just for Denmark, but for how the whole world handles the coronavirus.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I wonder whether they will skin the culled animals, before feeding the meat to other animals as someone suggested previously.

Pretty sure when animals are culled due to disease you don't feed them to other animals - kinda defeats the purpose of killing them all.

36 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Pretty sure when animals are culled due to disease you don't feed them to other animals - kinda defeats the purpose of killing them all.

I was only quoting sezze, 5 hours ago. (Where did the #number of each post disappear to? )

Wouldn't cooking the culled beasts kill any bacteria/virus?    LOL

4 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I had a Staphylococcus Aureus infection deep inside my knee, which is a bacteria. 

The hospital's whole station was diseased, and it mutated almost every week so that different medicine was needed.

But some strains were not treatable with any existing Antibiotic.

When COVID-19 spread around the globe this year, David Montefiori wondered how the deadly virus behind the pandemic might be changing as it passed from person to person. Montefiori is a virologist who has spent much of his career studying how chance mutations in HIV help it to evade the immune system. The same thing might happen with SARS-CoV-2, he thought.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02544-6#:~:text=Compared with HIV%2C SARS-CoV,from people with COVID-19.

Reading the history of so called Spanish Flu when it came back on the second wave it had mutated to a much deadlier strain.  Saying that doesn't mean this Covid 19 will, it could go the other way and just become another bog standard flu virus.

Only time will tell.

16 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I was only quoting sezze, 5 hours ago. (Where did the #number of each post disappear to? )

Wouldn't cooking the culled beasts kill any bacteria/virus?    LOL

The problem is in the handling of the dead animals and the virus spreading during prep' for cooking I would reckon.

Edit

Missed your LOL ????

Edited by overherebc