Minks discovered possibly spreading new coronavirus infection, plans to cull its entire Denmark mink population

RichCor

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I wonder whether they will skin the culled animals, before feeding the meat to other animals as someone suggested previously.

Now they actually prob will be thrown away , or be made to something else ( like processing ) , but highly doubt , because of disease . In normal times , the skin is used as fur , and the meat is used in food industry  , just like that pigs .

The latest...

Factbox: What we know about Denmark's mink coronavirus strain
REUTERS | By Nikolaj Skydsgaard, Jacob Gronholt-Pedersen | NOVEMBER 7, 2020 | 5 MIN READ

Mink and humans have a similar biological trait regarding a so-called ACE2-enzyme expressed by cells of the respiratory tract, which makes it easier for mink to be infected with a virus that has adapted to humans, Allan Randrup Thomsen, a virologist at Copenhagen University, told Reuters.

Mike Ryan, the WHO’s top emergencies expert, said “there’s always the potential that this can come back to humans.”

ARE OTHER LIVESTOCK AT RISK?
The risk is much lower in other farm animals, such as pigs and poultry, because farms have “very strict” biosecurity in place to prevent viruses jumping the species barrier, the WHO’s Ryan said on Friday.

Tests have failed to infect swine, while cattle had been infected to only “a very small degree,” according to the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration. It said a sample taken from a gull’s foot tested positive for the novel coronavirus, but there was no evidence it had infected birds.

Quote:

"The risk is much lower in other farm animals, such as pigs and poultry, because farms have “very strict” biosecurity in place to prevent viruses jumping the species barrier"

They really need to stop underestimating the profit-making ingenuity of Chinese Farmers.

• 2 weeks later...

Covid-19 mink variants discovered in humans in seven countries

theGuardian | Sophie Kevany and Tom Carstensen | Wed 18 Nov 2020 17.31 GMT

Seven countries are now reporting mink-related Sars-CoV-2 mutations in humans, according to new scientific analysis. The mutations are identified as Covid-19 mink variants as they have repeatedly been found in mink and now in humans as well. 

Uncertainty around the implications of the discovery of a Covid-19 mink variant in humans led Denmark, the world’s largest mink fur producer, to launch a nationwide cull earlier this month.

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

Covid-19 mink variants discovered in humans in seven countries

theGuardian | Sophie Kevany and Tom Carstensen | Wed 18 Nov 2020 17.31 GMT

Seven countries are now reporting mink-related Sars-CoV-2 mutations in humans, according to new scientific analysis. The mutations are identified as Covid-19 mink variants as they have repeatedly been found in mink and now in humans as well. 

Uncertainty around the implications of the discovery of a Covid-19 mink variant in humans led Denmark, the world’s largest mink fur producer, to launch a nationwide cull earlier this month.

It is all a bit of a mystery and just yesterday I read that the Coronavirus was detected in Italy back in September of 2019 in Lombardy (I think)...........don't have mink farms there do they?

Covid 19 coronavirus: New study shows coronavirus was circulating in Italy last September.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-coronavirus-new-study-shows-coronavirus-was-circulating-in-italy-last-september/DFBAAWF7YEB6OCJJOQMTLEND4U/ 

As a Dane i followed the minkcase daily in the news, and let's just say it has been a very bumpy road and it's not looking pretty.

So far 1 minister had to step down from his post and maybe more will follow.

Worst scandal i have even seen in Denmark and i hope more heads will roll.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-18/danish-minister-ousted-over-mishandling-of-mink-culling-case

I'm not defending the mink industry because i never liked it myself, but our politicians has to follow the constitution and they didn't.

• Like 1