THAI to auction off 34 aging aircraft

webfact

9 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

In the mean time they will be parked alongside of all the other planes for sale in the Arizona desert.

Except of course, you have to pay to park them up in Arizona, and Thai have no money. Let us not even think about the costs (fuel etc) of ferrying them there. I expect they will end up scattered around airports in Thailand, where they will eventually be scrapped. 

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

The only aircrafts of reasonable age – i.e. under 20 years – are those nobody wants, the Airbus 340s and a few of the Boeing 747-400s. As others have mentioned, the 20+ years Boeing 777s might be of interest for some, probably mainly converted to freighters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

The only aircrafts of reasonable age – i.e. under 20 years – are those nobody wants, the Airbus 340s and a few of the Boeing 747-400s. As others have mentioned, the 20+ years Boeing 777s might be of interest for some, probably mainly converted to freighters.

Very few a/c have gone to freighter conversion plus the time scale that these a/c will be available is off putting. Only 1 of the nearly 40 British B747s has gone for conversion (Virgin) and that was shown live on Bigjet.tv last week. As its was the last one to leave Heathrow, atc  let it taxi near to the camera. The last BA B747 did a low fly past.

I'm sure I saw some of those A300s are at DMK minus engines. I thought they had problems after DMK flooded last year.

Edited by tso310

3 hours ago, Fortean1 said:

There are several boneyards in Arizona and California.  See:

https://www.airplaneboneyards.com/commercial-aviation-airplane-boneyards-storage.htm .

I worked the communications center at Fort Huachuca, Arizona 1980 and 1981.  We were ALTROUTE(*) for Davis-Monthan, Air Force Base in Tucson.  When their pathway to the switching center at Norton AFB in California was out of service we took their data pattern/Hollerith card messages.  These we stored on 9-track magnetic tape.  When they were back in service we loaded the received magnetic tapes and transmitted to Norton.  On extended several day outages I was told their data card punch machines ran non-stop for a couple of days.  This talk of boneyards triggered this ancient memory.

(*) ALTROUTE was alternative message routing in the days of AUTODIN (Automatic Digital Network) which replaced the torn tape relays.  Another example: the Army commcen at Camp Samae San was the base commcen ALTROUTE for U-Tapao.

Terry in Thailand

If the enlightened one sees this (your link) he might get ideas for Thai force one to be built from these in storage

4 hours ago, Almer said:

There is going to be a surge in airplane hotels and diners, and why not.

Do you know how many 747 s are scrapped this year.I dont .but its all of them.A380 are going to freight.Apart from emerites.Nearly all them planes are scrappers.There are no new diners with planes.I dont think you know how many are scrapped every year.I dont.But its a lot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think by linking a former PM to this overage of planes they are trying to move the gaze of certain people from their current government and Malfeasance and blame someone else.  Just waiting on the announcement charging Thaksin with misappropriation of funds to buy the airplanes as well as the blame on the airlines mismanagement.  Surely it is a story spurred on by the current regime.

It happened under his watch, yes or yes? He criticized THAI in public and with the help of his family they introduced Air Asia in Thailand  (his family owned  51 % of the company, foreigner the other 49%). He also changed telecommunication laws to favor his family's business. Still you ignore all these well know facts. The air force bought 01 A 340 a couple years ago and it is also used to transport families of those who serve in the air force. The pilots are trained by Thai and serve a couple years with THAI before returning to the Airforce. They get their salary from the air force.

Not only THAI but all airlines using these airplanes have the same problems and are trying to sell them. If they have the right engines probably they are worth more than the rest of the airplane. If you start to dig a little you will see that they had a couple corruption cases within Thai concerning engines.

35 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

I wonder how many airlines are currently in the market to buy second-hand planes?  All airlines currently have financial difficulties with the majority of their planes parked at airports.

Seems a very optimistic business plan to me.

Well, like almost every plan that emanates from TG it's pie in the sky.

There is almost no market for used aircraft right now. Victorville, Teurel, Alice Springs storage facilities are bursting at the seams with stored or retired aircraft.

The A340's are a lost cause, and in point of fact the -500's which had no aftermarket to begin with, after sitting for so long I doubt are airworthy, so might as well start cutting them up for scrap where they sit.

I 'think' they moved them from DMK to U-Tapeo a few years back

The 747's do have the potential for an afterlife in the freight world, but again, there are a lot of planes out there, and knowing TG they will be expecting a totally unrealistic price for them.

The various 777x 'might' have a market in the charter world, but thats going to depend a lot on when that segment recovers, and see my previous comment about supply and TG expectations.

The lease companies are already awash with aircraft being returned from airlines, so I struggle to see who are the potential buyers at the moment

I'm still waiting for them to bite the bullet and scrap the A380's. I'm pretty sure that will be a bitter face losing pill to swallow, but it's inevitable.

It's sad to see TG, and airline which I loved in the 90's descend into this total joke it has become. Maybe it is time to just put a bullet in it and move on

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways International PCL said on Friday it was looking for potential buyers for 34 used Airbus SE and Boeing Co planes as part of its restructuring plan.

Good luck with that, better to cut the wings off, park them up and turn them into donut diners!

Using an average price of 20 million USD per plane (based on a quick Google search of the individual values of the used planes) then they won't even fetch 1 billion USD. A higher average of 30 million gets just over 1 billion. So even if they manage to sell all these planes in a market already flooded with used (and some new) planes for sale then they are still a long way off from settling their debt. There are plenty of private planes of this size for sale as well already fitted out with luxury decor so I don't think there is a market there either. 

Wish them good luck though. Was a Thai ROP Gold member for about 15 years. I enjoyed flying Thai. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phil2407 said:

As scrap value - does anyone know how much 1 of these cost? 

Well the biggest value of any scrapped aircraft are the engines.

Thats where it gets tricky. The Trent 900 & and the GP7200 were developed solely for the A380.

So what you do with those I do not know.

I thought about the 777X, but that is only the GE9X, so I'm at at loss what the scrap value is, I suspect basically the price of the metal

• Like 1