THAI to auction off 34 aging aircraft

webfact

4 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Is it possible to fit newer fuel efficient engines to some of these aircraft and get them back into use when business picks up ?

A fair idea but who will bear the cost of new engines? Thai can't afford it as they are in receivership and are basically bankrupt. Add to that perhaps 30 to 40% of the maintainance crews have accepted an early retirement package, and I have no idea of the aircrew status. Pilots need to put in a number of flying hours every month to keep their pilots licence current.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas Hannah said:

Do you know how many 747 s are scrapped this year.I dont .but its all of them.A380 are going to freight.Apart from emerites.Nearly all them planes are scrappers.There are no new diners with planes.I dont think you know how many are scrapped every year.I dont.But its a lot.

From Wikipedia 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_recycling

Each year, 400 to 450 aircraft are scrapped and disassembled globally, for a $2 billion market for aircraft parts, and 12,500 aircraft will reach their end-of-life in the 20 years after 2009. Of those, around one third are parted out and disassembled by members of the AFRA.[1] The AFRA is an international non-profit association aiming to promote environmental best practices, regulatory excellence and sustainable developments in the fields of aircraft disassembly, as well as the salvaging and recycling aircraft parts and materials.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaLa said:

Fortune favours the brave.

I'm off down Sukhumvit in an hour or so, I'm going to have a whip round at my local and then set one of the bar girls up running a new airline.

You'll all be sorry you missed the opportunity.

Hooker air lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, natway09 said:

They may get a few bucks for the newer 777's The rest are scrap value only

Can I have an A340 ? I will cut off the wings & make myself a home

You can't own land in Thailand ????

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Shuya said:

TAT just anounced there are millions of Chinese who want to buy them and they will pay billions of dollars for each airplane. 

Surely it's not beyond the capabilities of ingenious Thai engineers to convert some of these planes to submarines therefore saving many more billions of Baht?

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, tso310 said:

Very few a/c have gone to freighter conversion plus the time scale that these a/c will be available is off putting. Only 1 of the nearly 40 British B747s has gone for conversion (Virgin) and that was shown live on Bigjet.tv last week. As its was the last one to leave Heathrow, atc  let it taxi near to the camera. The last BA B747 did a low fly past.

I'm sure I saw some of those A300s are at DMK minus engines. I thought they had problems after DMK flooded last year.

TG has two 747 freighters parked in Utapao , correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by SomchaiCNX

6 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Is it possible to fit newer fuel efficient engines to some of these aircraft and get them back into use when business picks up ?

Technically possible, but somebody has to do the modification and testing, and then re-certify everything.

Not viable when you have many newer and efficient planes idling too...

3 hours ago, phil2407 said:

As scrap value - does anyone know how much 1 of these cost? 

If engines are in good condition, you got maybe 3-4 million USD (pre-corona, less now) for A340, the problem is that A340's are a dying breed and the need for spares are quickly disappearing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

The aircraft include the Airbus A340-500 and A340-600, which were bought during the tenure of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for service on the non-stop route between Thailand and the United States, which proved to be a financial flop, resulting in about seven billion baht in operational losses.

Wait a minute, can't we sue Thaksin for that?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

TG has two 747 freighters parked in Utapao , correct me if I'm wrong.

Retired a few years ago but I came up with this news item

https://cargofacts.com/allposts/business/strategy/another-747-400bcf-reactivated/

That aircraft (formerly HS-TGJ) is now flying with a Moldovan cargo carrier - Terra Avia since May 2020.

The other one HS-TGH is shown as at UTP. Both were converted from passenger a/c.

Edited by tso310
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

with delivery available in the first or second quarter of 2021 on an "as-is, where-is" condition, according to the website.

I'd wager my last shirt these aircraft are due for major checks, bought as is .... is not a good start.

• Like 1