THAI to auction off 34 aging aircraft

webfact

44 minutes ago, Dustdevil said:

Great if you don't mind (a) boarding with 550-650 other passengers. (b) just flying to major hubs instead of direct flights in the event the hub isn't your final destination (c) that dozens of airports had to spend a lot of money to accommodate the behemoth (unlike the trusty old 747) (d) that, if you're from Europe, your tax money went to yet another prestige project only marginally more sensible than the Concorde.

Have you ever been on one?  I'm guessing not.  Also guessing you are a proud Boeing flag waver judging by your snipes.

Yep, much better to have your US tax payer money going to Boeing - the 737 Max was a fantastic achievement that you can be proud of.

Looks like Thai managed to find a market for their B-747 400 aircraft.

"Ultra-low fare newcomer Avatar Airlines has extended a letter of intent to Thai Airways to acquire 10 long-haul Boeing 747-400 aircraft."

https://worldofaviation.com/?p=87639?utm_source=WorldofAviation&utm_campaign=27_11_2020&utm_medium=email&utm_content=4&utm_emailID=eb8e244e7283eb9f95267c666c49c6b058fb65cececa00e7dae04637ee78da1b

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 8:52 PM, josephbloggs said:

Have you ever been on one?  I'm guessing not.  Also guessing you are a proud Boeing flag waver judging by your snipes.

Yep, much better to have your US tax payer money going to Boeing - the 737 Max was a fantastic achievement that you can be proud of.

Federal tax money doesn't go to Boeing. EU tax money has always subsidized Airbus. Feeling nostalgic about that inherently money-losing white elephant, the Concorde. Then you thought, let's build yet another white elephant strictly for prestige. Anyway, the 737Max was not a structural problem, it was sloppy software interface.

Well, US federal tax money most certainly goes to Boeing through various subsidies (Google is your friend) and if that's somehow not enough, by route of massive contracts where Boeing has virtually no competition in terms of product or political clout.  

On 11/27/2020 at 1:34 AM, ozfarang said:

"Ultra-low fare newcomer Avatar Airlines has extended a letter of intent to Thai Airways to acquire 10 long-haul Boeing 747-400 aircraft."

https://worldofaviation.com/?p=87639?utm_source=WorldofAviation&utm_campaign=27_11_2020&utm_medium=email&utm_content=4&utm_emailID=eb8e244e7283eb9f95267c666c49c6b058fb65cececa00e7dae04637ee78da1b

Don't get too carried away with this just yet.

This all 747 airline concept has been around since the early 90's when they were calling themselves Family Airlines, then they rebranded themselves somewhere in mid 2000's

They recently filed with DOT a 'Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity' but that is an awful long way from actually starting operations, a really really long way away!

So TG getting an MOU from an airline which doesn't actually exist, is far from even saying 'the checks in the mail'

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 8:34 AM, ozfarang said:

I'm afraid this has already been laughed off in aviation forums. It might happen but then stranger things have happened. Check out these reports about Avatar, just a small example -

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/10/avatar-airlines-wants-british-airways-747s.html

1 hour ago, Dustdevil said:

Federal tax money doesn't go to Boeing. EU tax money has always subsidized Airbus. Feeling nostalgic about that inherently money-losing white elephant, the Concorde. Then you thought, let's build yet another white elephant strictly for prestige. Anyway, the 737Max was not a structural problem, it was sloppy software interface.

Sorry you are wrong.  Tax rebates, tax breaks, indirect funding, lucrative government contracts.

And the 737 Max was a sloppy software interface that was there to overcome inherent STRUCTURAL instability.  Maybe you should read up on it.  But from your post, if it was just software then it would be ok?

Plenty of documentaries on this, and Boeing's covering up of numerous reported safety issues. Not only 737 Max, but 787 too.  Nothing to be proud of, but then carry on......USA! USA! USA!

7 minutes ago, tso310 said:

It seems as if Thai is getting 3 brand new B777-300ER a/c soon. The first a/c HS-TTA was moved to the paint hanger at Paine Field on 6 Dec  -

https://onemileatatime.com/thai-airways-new-777/

I have long since stopped trying to understand TG logic.

Any attempt to rationalize it drives you to insanity. 

'If' they had tried to cancel, delay, defer delivery I sincerely doubt their 'crack' negotiating team would have managed to do anything.

Remember what happened when they tried to cancel the A380 orders. That was almost comical.

The good news is the continued downward spiral of TG provides all of us aviation nerds hours of endless fun and hilarity.

Sad sad end to an airline I loved in the 90's

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Sorry you are wrong.  Tax rebates, tax breaks, indirect funding, lucrative government contracts.

And the 737 Max was a sloppy software interface that was there to overcome inherent STRUCTURAL instability.  Maybe you should read up on it.  But from your post, if it was just software then it would be ok?

Plenty of documentaries on this, and Boeing's covering up of numerous reported safety issues. Not only 737 Max, but 787 too.  Nothing to be proud of, but then carry on......USA! USA! USA!

Alright I'll weigh in on this although I suspect I will regret it since we clearly we have fanboys involved.

The A380 is a beautiful piece of engineering, but there is no getting around the fact that it's an aircraft designed and executed 20 years too late. Without subsidies it probably shouldn't have been built, but aircraft are conceptually designed a decade or so before they fly, although I would say the writing was on the wall for quad jets a long time ago, and a trophy program like this should have thrown up red flags.

The 737 Max isn't a bad aircraft, but aerodynamically it isn't the same as previous 737 designs. Many of us questioned whether mounting the new larger engines so far forward on the wing was not a fundamental aerodynamic change.

The sin of Boeing was to try to market it telling customers it was, and pilots needed no more than a CBT to certify to fly.

On the subject of government subsides, you can go around and around.

Boeing, unlike Airbus doesn't get direct subsidies for its civilian aircraft, but then you get to do US Government contracts for its military arm in some way subsidize the civilian commercial arm of the company?

• Like 2

On 11/6/2020 at 12:00 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Image result for tree house airplane I see a new premium resort being created along the new Thai Riviera.

Many slums in BKK, such as the one next to the river near the Air Force base in the north. Shacks barely being held together. Time to upgrade them to some sturdy, comfortable airframes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Boeing, unlike Airbus doesn't get direct subsidies for its civilian aircraft, but then you get to do US Government contracts for its military arm in some way subsidize the civilian commercial arm of the company?

Indeed. Boeing is essentially an arm of the US govt, Airbus an arm of the EU (mostly French) govt.

How both have managed to survive, Boeing with its sheer incompetence, and Airbus with its poorly timed executions, is through governmental intervention, which would've killed most other private enterprises by now.

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Semantics.  It's like saying our athletes aren't on steroids, just performance enhancing drugs not technically classed as steroids.

31 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

It seems Thai Airways has now added two A380s to the list of aircraft to be flogged off. 

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/thai-airways-is-selling-off-two-of-its-airbus-a380s

Another piece of delusional TG thinking, that these aircraft have any resale possibilities.

There is a reason that this lovely airframe is already showing up in the scrap yards.

They are unprofitable for most airlines, and no secondary market has materialized.

But like with the A340-500's I'm sure they will just keep them on the books, confident that there is some stellar deal just around the corner

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

Another piece of delusional TG thinking, that these aircraft have any resale possibilities.

There is a reason that this lovely airframe is already showing up in the scrap yards.

They are unprofitable for most airlines, and no secondary market has materialized.

But like with the A340-500's I'm sure they will just keep them on the books, confident that there is some stellar deal just around the corner

Essentially Thai Airways has no assets of any realisable value. At this stage further liabilities should be eliminated. They should sack all staff and rehire only the best and most reliable. Any future operations should be scaled down to likely profitable routes using only modern and fuel efficient twin jets. Stop all the freebie travel for staff and influential people as a first move. 

8 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Essentially Thai Airways has no assets of any realisable value. At this stage further liabilities should be eliminated. They should sack all staff and rehire only the best and most reliable. Any future operations should be scaled down to likely profitable routes using only modern and fuel efficient twin jets. Stop all the freebie travel for staff and influential people as a first move. 

You get to the point with TG, an airline which I truly loved back in the 90's, when it really was 'Smooth as Silk', that it's time to put a bullet in it.

You are correct that they are sitting on assets were already of questionable value, which in today's climate with such a large percentage of the world's fleet idle, absolutely worthless.

If it were me, I'd shut up shop, then try to regroup as a second tier semi full service airline.

WE is probably that already, but once again in the fantasy land of Thailand they pretend to be an LCC.

In the US Alaska Airlines, or maybe Jet Blue would be a good example of how to make that model work

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

It seems Thai Airways has now added two A380s to the list of aircraft to be flogged off. 

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/thai-airways-is-selling-off-two-of-its-airbus-a380s

Minor typo it says Thai grounded the A380 in March 2019 of course they meant March 2020 I flew BKK to Osaka on one last December.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:35 AM, Fortean1 said:

There are several boneyards in Arizona and California.  See:

https://www.airplaneboneyards.com/commercial-aviation-airplane-boneyards-storage.htm .

I worked the communications center at Fort Huachuca, Arizona 1980 and 1981.  We were ALTROUTE(*) for Davis-Monthan, Air Force Base in Tucson.  When their pathway to the switching center at Norton AFB in California was out of service we took their data pattern/Hollerith card messages.  These we stored on 9-track magnetic tape.  When they were back in service we loaded the received magnetic tapes and transmitted to Norton.  On extended several day outages I was told their data card punch machines ran non-stop for a couple of days.  This talk of boneyards triggered this ancient memory.

(*) ALTROUTE was alternative message routing in the days of AUTODIN (Automatic Digital Network) which replaced the torn tape relays.  Another example: the Army commcen at Camp Samae San was the base commcen ALTROUTE for U-Tapao.

Terry in Thailand

Anyone ran this quote through their enigma machine yet?

There is a news report on 9th December that THAI is getting three new Boeing 777 it ordered back in 2018 in the days when envelopes flowed freely. Not long agao they retired 12  Boeing 777s. Now they are trying desperately to wriggle out of the deal by renegotiations. They will shortly run out of cash. If this report is factual and there is no reason to believe it isn't then things will get even more interesting especialy if it can't squirm out of the contract. 

https://onemileatatime.com/thai-airways-new-777/

On 12/10/2020 at 3:53 AM, josephbloggs said:

Well then let's see if the Europeans certify the aircraft.