Thailand Electric Voltages

Thomas72

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Your wife is correct they need the blue book for the address then i believe you will get another meter, sounds like your still paying building rate 6,000 for a meter is way to much do you have the receipt for the 6,000 i still think it was a deposit though, to pay for electric when building, so the builder can't do a runner. do you have a customer/account num yet ?

No account number until after she goes down with the house book.

The PEA bill is pretty basic. It just says "meter installation" (in Thai) - 6000 baht. It's printed on a PEA bill. I remember they wanted an additional 1500 baht to install it the next day. The wife refused. They said, "Ok, we'll be back in 3-4 weeks to install it". The wife was adamant about not paying more. The builder ended up paying the 1500 baht tea money out of their end, to get it installed the next day.

Regarding the refund, our meter installation was on June 24th. The wife seems to think the refund comes out of this: 

1604736219331.jpg.1d25a3c819514dc43381c0af92ccc65e.jpg

If my Thai is right, second row is our meter. First column, 700 baht - PEA installation man. Second column, 2000 baht - deposit. Total: 2,700 baht.

The wife can apply for a refund of the 2,000 baht deposit after installation. At least that is what she thinks.

Just now, Thomas72 said:

Regarding the 15 (45) amp meter, does that mean something like: 15 amps continuous, can surge up to 45 amps?

No. The 15A is the calibration current, the 45A is the "maximum" current.

In reality meters are incredibly robust. A >100% overload won't kill it, it will just affect the accuracy (bet they don't read low).

A 63A breaker is very common on a 15/45, it will depend on your inspector if he's ok with it.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

If you can rationalise your breakers and free up one slot, this should just plug right in 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/square-d-surge-protection-device-qospd20-schneider-electric-i821108205-s1682116905.html

I think I can do that. The electrician set up 4 breakers just for lighting (2 for each floor). There are roughly 70 lights spread between the 2 floors (recessed downlighting). Sounds like a lot, but they're all 10 watt LED bulbs. If my math is right that is roughly 3.18 amps for lighting ( [10 watts x 70 lights] / 220 volts = 3.18 amps ). 4 breakers seems like overkill.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a final follow-up on what happened.

Roughly 10 days ago the wife went down to PEA to apply for the final meter (switch the account). They said it would take about a week to process the paperwork. She went down with the B6,000 receipt, and the most recent electric bill (billed at the construction rate). They said they would get back to her.

They called her yesterday and she went back down to PEA today. They refunded the original B6,000 minus B700 and B49 (vat). I think the B700 is the inspection fee, as I posted earlier. The wife says it is finished. There won't be an inspection. They gave her a bunch of paperwork and she has the new account number.

• Like 2