Khon Khan Book Fair at Convention Centre

Speedo1968

On 11/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, Neeranam said:

Was there in previous years; a waste of time. 

Why was it a waste of time ?

I agree it was a rather strange book fair, especially whenone compares the old style of book fairs in Bangkok 10, 15, 20 years ago.

The KK fair did make one realise how "unimportant" books are nowadays compared to mine and perhaps your childhood.  
As a child in England in the 1940's and 50's books were given on birthdays, Christmas, school prizes etc.     Children's comics / yearly albums came a few years later but did not take over, at least for me, the joy of reading a real book.    Fortunately where I lived in the UK had 2 libraries one the biggest in all of London
Looking back at such books ( not written in those years but still a good albeit difficult read ) Toad of Toad Hall, Alice in Wonderland, The White Rabbits Road.      I used to turn out the light at 7pm or whatever time, as requested by my parents but had my torch handy to read under the blanket.

In the 60's I understand that the libraries kept a list of all books that you took out on loan to see what your political leanings were.

In the day's of the "Hippie" trail books once read were passed on to another traveler whether it be on a train or road journey.

Books read later in life from the beat generation, Russian classics and a whole range of wonderful and sometimes weird books became more affordable.   More recently the likes of Varjak Paw.
Whilst working overseas for many years I arranged a regular top--up of books, either when I went home or family came to stay.

The KK fair itself unfortunately offered much the same at many of the stalls, found only one 2nd hand shop ( mainly political text - a couple relating to Castro and Che ), from one stall I purchased an interesting one about Chinese healing methods.   

Following a stroke which laid me down for 3 months I took up reading again, ordering many old reads and new stories from Bangkok.

Went during the day to the fair but even when passing by the convention center at 5pm ( schools out ) very few cars.   It is the week of exams so perhaps there were people over the weekend.    The type / style of children's books has changed leaving little to the imagination.
Speaking to some stall holders they said it was becoming worse each year regarding book sales.

• Like 1

I mean it was a waste of time as I was looking for kids' books for my own children. There were few English books for kids.

When I moved here in the early 90's I loved the second hand bookshops in Bangkok,  especially in the travellers' areas like Khao San road, Soi Nam Duphli. Different days, I remember bumping into a guy in a bookshop that I had met in Goa and also North India. 

Is it still on? I might take a wander up as looking for some Thai novels. 

Just finished a great book -  the high mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel.

On 11/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Neeranam said:

I mean it was a waste of time as I was looking for kids' books for my own children. There were few English books for kids.

When I moved here in the early 90's I loved the second hand bookshops in Bangkok,  especially in the travellers' areas like Khao San road, Soi Nam Duphli. Different days, I remember bumping into a guy in a bookshop that I had met in Goa and also North India. 

Is it still on? I might take a wander up as looking for some Thai novels. 

Just finished a great book -  the high mountains of Portugal by Yann Martel.

Not sure where you live, I presume within traveling distance to Khon Kaen.
Once I moved away from Bangkok, apart from visits, books are not available where I live so I turned to Kinokuniya and ordered books online - very good service.    Sometimes these were books that I had read in the distant past, ( "cult books" ) but also others that appealed through online reviews.    Most recent is "The Night CIrcus" by Erin Morgenstern ( 600+ pages ) published 2011.

Recently I have been trying to get a copy of a book first written in the 1500's by Cervantes - "The Dialogue of the Dogs".   Yes the same author as Don Quixote.    Tried Kino in Bangkok and books shops in UK where my daughters live but to no avail.     There are old editions at a very very high price.

If you are in Khon Kaen there is the KKU library, not sure if there is a general public library.
I live in Banphai which has a small public library, English books - no have.