Potential Fake Stock Trading Scam

I recently fell victim to a potential fake stock trading scam. I was convinced to download an app called SMI. Over a period of a month I made a number of transfers to various Thai Bank accounts. According to the app I was making a profit. However it would appear that my account is frozen now on the app. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a lawyer in Bangkok that specializes in internet fraud? I can attached a few pictures of the application for context. Thank you for your time and have a good day. 

Main Menu of App.jpg

SMI app.jpg

Edited by blackcab
Post edited to reflect that this is a potential fraud

Reading some of the Pantip comments in the link above, the website appears to be of Chinese origin; several of the commentators mention it having been recommended to them by a 'Chinese friend'. The Chinese-style English in the above screen grab supports that view. The long initial comment at the top of the Pantip page suggests that it's a scam - basically, he started small ($100), his 'investment' went up and he was encouraged to 'invest' more, at which point he 'won' a huge sum ($100k) but had to pay tax on the profit before it would be released...well, I'm sure you know now where the scam comes in.

In that light, I'm afraid you will be throwing good money after bad by engaging a lawyer. In any country with half-decent rule of law you might expect to file a report with the police and for them  to investigate, but frankly I'm very doubtful that any course you take in Thailand will help recoup your investment. If you still wish to pursue the case, your first action should be to report it at your local police station, I only hope the loss of the sum you put into this is not life-changing.

Edited by Pottinger

Yes I figured. It was around 3 years of savings for me so I took a huge hit. I am going to the Technology Crime Suppression Division at Chaeng Wattana on Monday to report it and I think I will at least have a consultation with a lawyer here in Bangkok. I found this article and I thought it might be the same thing. <<<<Link to Bangkok Post removed as per forum rules>>>>

Edited by metisdead
26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications.

I think you're wasting your time and money following this.  It's a foreign entity, apparently completely unregulated, and you gave it money voluntarily.  The money's gone for good.  Do you even have genuine contact details for it?

Incidentally, had you done a Google search for "SMI scam" you'd have gotten a number of results about an SMI broker scam which should have been enough to make you extremely wary (even if it may not be the same SMI).

I think you should just chalk it up to experience.  Sorry.

I do have the transfer details from the bank transfers that I did, but since it was willing I figured I couldn't get the money back. I should still report it I guess. Thank you for your help.

Edited by FrozenFly