Internet connection

brianthainess

I have TOT fiber to my house, almost every day my internet stops, with the red light appearing on router, sometimes if i unplug and reboot it then connects SOMTIMES, I have made complaints now on a daily basis, technicians have come before, the latest was yesterday and the day before, they  removed a small circuit stripped the cable and used a crimping device. perfect. until an hour ago then red light on again ! I phoned TOT again Sometimes they reconnect it this morning i unplugged again and it came back not sure if it was rebooting it or that they reconnected. Does anybody else get daily problems ?

We have TOT fibre here in northern BKK, whilst not totally issue free (it goes off maybe once every 6 weeks or so) it's nowhere near that unreliable.

Have they replaced the router at any point?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Does anybody else get daily problems ?

No cause I ditch em and got True, so far so good for 3 years.

Maybe just area where you are is overcrowded and they haven't updated to compensate yet. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

No cause I ditch em and got True, so far so good for 3 years.

Maybe just area where you are is overcrowded and they haven't updated to compensate yet. 

555 most of these problems started when they fitted a ''new box'' down the road to upgrade. I can only laugh now at their attempts to fix the fault.  To my knowledge in my area Koh Chang , TOT are the main provider and the only other one maybe 3bb ? I'm now thinking of ditching TOT and going back to using my Dtac phone card as a hotspot.

How ironic it went off AGAIN at 12.45 as i was typing! rang them again! it came back at 13.40 am i the only one whos internet stops for lunch LOL it will probably go off again as i sit down with a beer tonight around 5.30pm as has happened a few times this week. The guys holding the cable together must have a shift change at that time. init :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I live in Bangkok and have 3BB Fibre optic. Of late it has been problematic once less than two weeks ago it was out 24 hrs. Now today down again, I am considering canceling going to AIS. Do you have issues with your service/connection? 

I live close to Pattaya and I had some issues with TOT but, when the wife complained and put it on Facebook they rushed out did a rewire and replaced the modem/router. Since then it's been OK and relatively fast at 250MB.

I download and play games online so we also have True which is also OK.

Complain, complain.

I have TOT Fiber as you do. Before FIBER, I always had internet less time and had to wait for these technicians who are not always the best ones.

They have a website where you can write complaints about a particular employee, or about your <deleted>_y connection.

I thought that I'd have problems with TOT, but it was my NordVPN that somehow creates a tunnel and the internet is gone.

Do you get wireless when you have the problem? 

Here's a website to report the error, no idea where the complaint one is. 

https://customercarecontacts.com/contact-of-tot-thailand-customer-service-phone-email/

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rascalman said:

I live in Bangkok and have 3BB Fibre optic. Of late it has been problematic once less than two weeks ago it was out 24 hrs. Now today down again, I am considering canceling going to AIS. Do you have issues with your service/connection? 

In CM we had 3BB for many years, excellent, then 2 yrs back suddenly many issues, they came quickly but issues continued. We changed to AIS fiber at a lower price.

Two young polite/capable technicians came to fit the cable and AIS modem, both spoke good English (they told us their supervisor assigned because the customer family name involved was obvious a western name), their work was excellent, both keen to listen/discuss options of where to locate the cable into the house, the model etc. So far zero issues. . 

Have similar problem with TOT here in Amnat Charoen.. Nowhere near as frequent as you but once or twice a week will get the no signal light.. Sometimes will go  oupke weeks with no interruptions..Will last anywhere from few minutes to an hour.. Only started this three or four months back...My biggest problem is broken fiber 3-400 me up the road. Litt of scrub trees dropping Linda. Esp this time of year with the continuous winds..Happen twice this week...

I have TOT and also get the red light on average once a week, hit the reset on the router and it sorts itself out in a few minutes. I too noticed this only started happening after a router change (upgrade?)

I bought another router for a different part of the house and that never has an issue, which leads me to believe its possibly the TOT router box that blinks out occasionally.

On 11/7/2020 at 4:00 AM, brianthainess said:

I have TOT fiber to my house, almost every day my internet stops, with the red light appearing on router, sometimes if i unplug and reboot it then connects SOMTIMES, I have made complaints now on a daily basis, technicians have come before, the latest was yesterday and the day before, they  removed a small circuit stripped the cable and used a crimping device. perfect. until an hour ago then red light on again ! I phoned TOT again Sometimes they reconnect it this morning i unplugged again and it came back not sure if it was rebooting it or that they reconnected. Does anybody else get daily problems ?

Sounds like your router is not reconnecting well.   In general when a router loses its connection then it pings to reconnevt, the fact that unplugging and that worked makes it suspicious?  

Has the router been set up correctly or just generically?

Buy a decent router yourself?

Also look along your cable inside and outside the house....are there any connections?  They are usually just sloppily taped together, they need great connections.

Good luck

Edited by Paul DS

On 11/7/2020 at 11:00 AM, brianthainess said:

I had some of the same issues..during 4 years !!! until I bet them to check outside cable.... They found that small animals have eating a part of the cable ...yep , now since  almost 2 years no more problems !!! 

Had exactly the same issue... saw the engineer so many times he became a friend, he told me to change to AiS Fibre as T.O.T was rubbish [his own words].

I did this and AiS fitted me up with a router etc, never had a problem since.

And AiS fibre is 300 baht per month cheaper than T.O.T

no tot is great for me even when streaming football, try get tot supply new modem and ethernet cable

I have had the fibre optic for about 2 years now. There has not been one day without it going off. TOT told me that this was normal and I have to pull the plug out and reconnect it. When I do this it reconnects every time. It only ever goes off once a day and although inconvenient I just get on with it. I live in the Chachoengsou area. 

On 11/8/2020 at 10:40 AM, teacherclaire said:

I have TOT Fiber as you do. Before FIBER, I always had internet less time and had to wait for these technicians who are not always the best ones.

They have a website where you can write complaints about a particular employee, or about your <deleted>_y connection.

I thought that I'd have problems with TOT, but it was my NordVPN that somehow creates a tunnel and the internet is gone.

Do you get wireless when you have the problem? 

Here's a website to report the error, no idea where the complaint one is. 

https://customercarecontacts.com/contact-of-tot-thailand-customer-service-phone-email/

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think you can have a very strong and good WIFI signal even not getting Internet connection ...... e.g.:  on router internet LED = red but still very good WIFI signal on laptop....

On 11/7/2020 at 11:22 AM, Crossy said:

We have TOT fibre here in northern BKK, whilst not totally issue free (it goes off maybe once every 6 weeks or so) it's nowhere near that unreliable.

Have they replaced the router at any point?

Replacing the router has been the solution here.... 3BB

Update since my last post sat 2.30; Every time it was going off i just rang them on 1177 and told them Mon i will cancel my TOT, I'm not going to reboot it every time ! and saying sorry does not cure the problem !  I'm not holding my breath but it hasn't been off since. 

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Update since my last post sat 2.30; Every time it was going off i just rang them on 1177 and told them Mon i will cancel my TOT, I'm not going to reboot it every time ! and saying sorry does not cure the problem !  I'm not holding my breath but it hasn't been off since. 

The wonder of ........

If you unsure about the source of the dropout issues maybe log into the fibre router usually 192.168.1.1 IP access point address from your PC browser address bar.

User router login name is typical  "admin" and your password may be on the external router unit label or could be the default password of "password". 

Find the admin router tab or tabs that say "status" or "statistic" and check the information for expectations. (this might be packets / bytes  - received / transmitted and packets  lost.

You may have a network tab that provides connection information on transmit and receive optical Fibre loss levels or attenuation look at that . 

There is also a log in routers that records information, errors and warnings. (you may need to turn on, often they are off by default)

If your fibre router is an el cheapo it may have limited diagnostic functions; the more expensive ones may have a internal fibre loopback test to check your end-to end fibre connection between the service provider and the client's router.

Run the True Internet  speed test for reliability and consistency checks. https://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/ 

I run this test it both on my TRUE and DTAC services, so it's not restricted just to TRUE networks.

Here is a sample test results form my PC

image.png.7df9a02e6658bba6d1e198ff4444a21c.png

Look for variations in the results of the tests especially Latency and Jitter 

You typically cannot command line ping, pathping or tracert  in Windows to these IP addresses of your ISP to test the end to end connection because they have the ports for these services block to stop DOS attacks. 

In summary checking your fibre router internal information and rerunning the speed tests may give you some indication of where the problem is.

The Fibre network runs via a number of Fibre Distribution Hubs that perform signal splitting and regeneration and in / out port distribution points.

Quite often these intermediary fibre hubs are the source of network issues; they typically as assigned internal IP addresses like 10.x.y.z so they are easy to identify.

Here is a partial pathping trace of my fibre TRUE network.

You run this from the command line using command.exe in administrator mode.

Windows CMD example; note often you can't reach the end node due to port blocking but you might get enough information on your FDH to identify the issue.

image.png.35ade3487817960d51c1bfcebda32bae.png

image.png.2d4a4706a7a1cfd14ee66e2867049840.png

image.png.f5afedc16e91500a53a24c0fc6a27fa6.png

513779265_PathPingExample.png.f2a2a544c9b426ccf5367458c69a8ce7.png

Here is an example of a PathPing network issue.

image.png.bf95d33118426edb619218be02c5ad46.png

In the above sample report, the This Node/Link, Lost/Sent = Pct and address columns show that the link between 172.16.87.218 and 192.168.52.1 is dropping 13% of the packets. The routers at hops 2 and 4 are also dropping packets addressed to them, but this loss doesn't affect their ability to forward traffic that isn't addressed to them.

The loss rates displayed for the links, identified as a vertical bar (|) in the address column, indicate link congestion that is causing the loss of packets that are being forwarded on the path. The loss rates displayed for routers (identified by their IP addresses) indicate that these routers might be overloaded.

Hope it might help a little to identify your problem.

I have AIS Fiber in Northern Bangkok, and currently experiencing problems for 5 days in a row with the Fiber connection.

The fiber connection on the router is going on and off all the time, making it impossible to watch internet TV.

My experience with AIS so far (about 3 years) has been that I have a connection problem once every 3 months, and then the AIS repair team will come to our house to fix it within 1 or 2 days. Usually it is a problem with the wire from the house not being connected properly to the the electric pole on the street (e.g., unplugged by another fiber team).  AIS service used to be good, although having this issue a few times a year is also not ideal.

However, this week I have connection problems for 5 days in a row and no AIS team has showed up to fix it yet.

Perhaps they just don't have the bandwidth and/or too many customers?

I noticed that when calling AIS on 1175, there is no option to talk to an actual person anymore.

There are menus and tapes where they ask you to ""turn on and off" the router, etc. Quite useless.

Fiber problems can only be reported to AIS through a website (!!!) or app.  I now report problems on their Line app.

So, given recent experience, I am not recommending AIS anymore. Does anyone have experience with TRUE fiber internet in Bangkok?

Edited by blokker