I've decided to pack up and move to Surat Thani for the dry season

Aspaltso

After the last 3 years of agony for my tonsils, and throat during the dry seasons I've decided to move to Surat Thani for at least the next four months to avoid the plague of bad air that is already settling in Petchabun, and everywhere else in Thailand for that matter anywhere north of Hua Hin. My tonsillitis was so bad last year it took four courses of anti-biotics over 4 months just to get rid of the infections. I considered a tonsillectomy,but with covid it was difficult finding a hospital that'd do it for cheap, and some declined surgeries altogether. I figure by getting down south where the air is humid, and warm year round I can potentially avoid another round of tonsil problems, but my fingers are crossed. I do know that Surat gets fires that come over from Indonesia, but last I read it is a "La Nina" year which is good for rainfall in Indonesia, so fires shouldn't be an issue. That being said; does anyone have any experience on the air quality situation in Southern Thailand? It can't be anywhere worse than what we've got going on in central Thailand right now. Petchabun has had an AQI over 100 for the last week, and the next week looks even worse. Everywhere else I've lived in Thailand (Khon Kaen, Bangkok) are going to be awful in about another month, so I can't imagine anyone has a better suggestion for a place to live. Maybe Songkla, or Yala.

Edited by Aspaltso
mispelling

Decent choice. It is a spectacularly beautiful province, you will have easy access to Samui, Krabi, Phangha, some incredible nearby national parks, etc. And the weather is nice. It can get hot, but you have good breezes, more rain, and way better air quality. Smart move. Keep us informed. The riverfront area is nice for dining, the central market is good, and the highways in the province are some of the best in the country. Otherwise, it is a fairly non descriptive town. If it were me, I would find something just outside of town, as the surrounding areas are very scenic. The air quality around large parts of the country stink, between now and April. The authorities should be holding their heads in shame, if only they had any pride, or concern for the masses. So much could be done to improve this situation. I have a simple solution, since so much of the pollution can be traced to the burning of the crops. It has been made illegal, but as usual, nothing is being enforced. So, it continues.

There is a very simple solution to this problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease. So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.
2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.
3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land.
The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century.

Then they can move on to tackle the sale of diesel vehicles, and the government's enthusiastic support of such. It is inane in this day and age. Most nations are moving away from diesel for good reasons. When they are not well maintained, they foul the air, with large, nasty particles. And who properly maintains their vehicle here?

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Decent choice. It is a spectacularly beautiful province, you will have easy access to Samui, Krabi, Phangha, some incredible nearby national parks, etc. And the weather is nice. It can get hot, but you have good breezes, more rain, and way better air quality. Smart move. Keep us informed. The riverfront area is nice for dining, the central market is good, and the highways in the province are some of the best in the country. Otherwise, it is a fairly non descriptive town. If it were me, I would find something just outside of town, as the surrounding areas are very scenic. The air quality around large parts of the country stink, between now and April. The authorities should be holding their heads in shame, if only they had any pride, or concern for the masses. So much could be done to improve this situation. I have a simple solution, since so much of the pollution can be traced to the burning of the crops. It has been made illegal, but as usual, nothing is being enforced. So, it continues.

There is a very simple solution to this problem. If the authorities were interested in solutions. The burning has to stop. There are alternatives, to this 19th century technique of burning after the sugar cane harvest. Either the government starts to encourage farmers to switch to more environmentally friendly crops, or they start to penalize farmers for burning. This heinous burning, is leading to a tremendous degree of environmental degradation, and alot of lung disease. So here is what I propose-

1. Fine the farmers 5,000 baht for a first offense, and give them a stern warning, that burning is now prohibited, and the second fine will be very harsh.
2. For a second offense, fine the farmer 100,000 baht, and warn them that if the burning continues, their land will be confiscated.
3. On the 3rd offense, confiscate their land. Period. No questions. No legal proceeding or appeals on the part of the farmers. Allow others to come in and purchase the land at a fair price, with the caveat that sugar is prohibited as a crop to be grown on that land.
The news would travel faster than the toxic smoke, and farmers would change their ways overnight, and move into the 21st century.

Then they can move on to tackle the sale of diesel vehicles, and the government's enthusiastic support of such. It is inane in this day and age. Most nations are moving away from diesel for good reasons. When they are not well maintained, they foul the air, with large, nasty particles. And who properly maintains their vehicle here?

Thankyou for the informative info regarding Surat. In fact I did spend about 3 months down that way in 2015, and I know what you mean about Surat Thani town being a bit non-descriptive. I thought it was quite boring for being a provincial town, however like you alluded to the surrounding area can be quite nice. Perhaps I'll be able to explore the surrounding area a bit, and find a decent place to reside. I thought Kao Sok National Park was incredible, and the beachside town of Kanom, Nakhon Si Thimmarat was also quite nice. If you have any locations; please share.

Edited by Aspaltso
grammar

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Agreed. Kao Sok is amazing. Both sides. In case you did not make it to the western side of the park (the park is huge) it is all jungle. Requires proper gear for hiking, pants, light raincoat, boots, etc. But, worth it. Amazing canopy.

khao-sok-national-park-tours-33.jpg

khaosok-national-park-lake-guide-image-7.jpg

thailand_khaosok.jpg

Lovely pic's.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Agreed. Kao Sok is amazing. Both sides. In case you did not make it to the western side of the park (the park is huge) it is all jungle. Requires proper gear for hiking, pants, light raincoat, boots, etc. But, worth it. Amazing canopy.

they have wheelchair access ?     ????        

JK (just kidding)...   nice pics

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

3 day jungle lake safari 24kbht ($800) per person for 2 nights in a tent ........... 555 ......... they gotta be kidding.

We rented a boat for the whole day, and cruised around the massive lake/reservoir. It was stunning. I think we only paid about 800 or 1,000 baht for four people. A very good deal. Really worth a visit. One of the most stunning parks I have seen in Thailand. And if I am not mistaken, the boat ride included park admission? It was several years ago. And there are plenty of hotels, motels and places to stay close by the park, that are very reasonable. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Unlikely as it's 300bht per person park admission (not included in the 24kbht trip I found).

Well, even at 300 baht per person, plus 1,000 for the boat trip, that is 550 baht each, for a full day, in a spectacular area. I am ok paying an exorbitant admission fee to a National park here, if I am going to spend the whole day there, and see some amazing sights. Having said that, my wife paid 40 baht to get in! Dual pricing Thailand. 

• Like 1

After 18 years in LOS, we went to Krabi's Ko Lanta.

Breakfast at a breathtaking beach and the air is so clean that you'd love it there.

Please have a look here, ferries go all day long from and to Krabi.

Koh Lanta is a district of Krabi Province. While many people think of Koh Lanta as just one island, it’s actually the name of several large island groups. Mu Koh Lanta National Park, for example, is just part of the district and it contains more than 50 islands and islets!

More here:  https://theculturetrip.com/asia/thailand/articles/11-amazing-reasons-to-visit-koh-lanta-thailand/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

3 day jungle lake safari 24kbht ($800) per person for 2 nights in a tent ........... 555 ......... they gotta be kidding.

I spent less than that for 10 days trekking in Avatar National Park (China) including flights.

This is rip-off Thailand at it's best.

You can spend 20 nights for half of the money in a tent under my carport.

With the company of Lucky, the Siberian Husky. 

1 hour ago, Aspaltso said:

I've decided to move to Surat Thani for at least the next four months

i have been traveling a lot and the best part for me is making the plans and thinking about what I need to take so i have something to look forward to. and it is great to make a total break from whatever living situation you find yourself in. i would do it bad air or not. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Unlikely as it's 300bht per person park admission (not included in the 24kbht trip I found).

incorrect as well, was there last December and was quoted by 3 different booth 1,500 baht per person plus park entry fee for a total of 4-5 hour round trip, you are correct about the overnight stay at 24K that had a small meal/breakfast included,.... in my opinion  it's high way robbery

15 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

I don't think the lower part of the province has mountains on either side of the valley, but I could be wrong.

No, you are right. Only time it can be bad here is when they burn off the sugar cane stubble. We have not had it this year as its been too wet for them to burn ...............  so far.

• Like 1

I have an area down that way that I went to last year....... and will again this year .  I would not say that it is stunning,  but it was really nice and quiet and we sometimes had the beach almost all to ourselves.     

I might take a side trip over Ranong way and south a bit .   Maybe Yinn will show me her worms   ????

For me,  i like to be away from tourists...... so peaceful is what i head to.   A little bit different than my younger days

90058789_3457248354290286_7394124287004639232_n.jpg

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

I have an area down that way that I went to last year....... and will again this year .  I would not say that it is stunning,  but it was really nice and quiet and we sometimes had the beach almost all to ourselves.     

I might take a side trip over Ranong way and south a bit .   Maybe Yinn will show me her worms   ????

For me,  i like to be away from tourists...... so peaceful is what i head to.   A little bit different than my younger days

I'd love to go back to Ko Lanta and have breakfast right at the beach.  

Ko Lanta.jpg

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rumak said:

I've heard Ranong is very nice. Beach pic nice!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

I don't think the lower part of the province has mountains on either side of the valley, but I could be wrong.

You don't need to go that far. The air up here is very clean now. We can get a bit of local smoke some days but it has never been a problem.

Indo has reverse seasons from Thailand. Hot season here, is rainy season in Indo. Not the time of year they burn down what is left of their forests. 

Best of luck with your seasonal migration.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 2