Huge price difference for gas

Inderpland

I live in Pattaya and close to where I live are two gas/petrol stations side by side. One is PTT and the other is Shell. Price for 95 Gasohol at the PTT station; 31.1. Price at Shell; 39.1. That's right; a whopping 8 Baht difference for one liter!!

I filled up on petrol in my car at the Shell station last week and noticed right away that something was wrong as I've never paid so much for a full tank and I always check that they zero the pump before they start filling. I chose the brand new Shell station that day because it was empty and the PTT station is always busy and now I understand why. How the heck can this be?? Is PTT gas prizes subsidized since it's (AFAIK) government owned?

32 minutes ago, olivierf20 said:

This is because Shell only sells their premium Ultra 95 Gasohol, and no normal 95 Gasohol, consequently i never go to Shell.

That seems to be a very silly policy because at the aforementioned side by side stations PTT is packed and the Shell station is dead as a dodo.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Something is wrong with your prices anyway

https://web1.pttplc.com/en/Media-Center/Oil-Price/Pages/Bangkok-Oil-Price.aspx

Today a litre of Gasohol 95 at PTT in Bangkok is 21.35 THB

Maybe in Pattaya it costs a Baht or two more, but for sure not 31.1 THB

No, even in Pattaya, the price for 95 is in the 21.xx range 

• Like 2

fuelpricesthailand.com  will show you the 'petrol' and 'diesel' supplier prices. 

Although that table does not show the price of Gasohol 95 'Premium' For about the same price you can buy gasoline 95 at one of four companies.

7 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

My mistake, I meant 21+ and 29+ Baht respectively.

Then i think what olivierf20 said is correct, you are comparing Shell's 95 gasohol premium fuel to PPT's regular 95 gasohol.

Next time go to PTT or just get 91 Gasohol which is sufficient unless you have some fancy sports car.

58 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Then i think what olivierf20 said is correct, you are comparing Shell's 95 gasohol premium fuel to PPT's regular 95 gasohol.

Next time go to PTT or just get 91 Gasohol which is sufficient unless you have some fancy sports car.

I never put 91 in any vehicle, either 95 Gasohol or regular benzine if it is available.

In Europe I don't think 91 octane is even available, it is 95 and 98, and not everyone drives a fancy sports car in the west

On 11/7/2020 at 3:35 PM, olivierf20 said:

This is because Shell only sells their premium Ultra 95 Gasohol, and no normal 95 Gasohol, consequently i never go to Shell.

Just realized this on the last MB fill up. I will not be going back to Shell.

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

95 gasohol 21bht, 95 gasoline 29bht.

gasohol and gasoline are different products.

Spot on, the gasoline product is a mixture of hydrocarbons and aromatics, with no ethanol added. Some older vehicles need it because the polymers in their tubing systems are attacked by ethanol.

21 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Just realized this on the last MB fill up. I will not be going back to Shell.

And it seems that's the reaction almost everyone has. The stations I mentioned in the OP (on Thepprasit Rd in Pattaya) are, as I said, side by side and the Shell station is brand new and shining and has all the bells and whistles that today come with a new gas station from a major oil company.

Nonetheless it's almost completely devoid of customers while the PTT station is bustling. You've got to question the Shell company's decision to go with a premium 95 alternative when that almost certainly is what drives all the prize conscious customers (and in these Covid times that's practically everyone) away.

On 11/7/2020 at 3:21 PM, Inderpland said:

Price for 95 Gasohol at the PTT station; 31.1. Price at Shell; 39.1.

Which century was your pump visit?

PTT:

95 Gashol is starting at 21.35.

Far from Bangkok price may go up for a about one Baht max. So 22.35.

Even pure Benzene (no ethanol) should not be over 30 Baht at PTT (where available).

On 11/9/2020 at 8:58 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Which century was your pump visit?

PTT:

95 Gashol is starting at 21.35.

Far from Bangkok price may go up for a about one Baht max. So 22.35.

Even pure Benzene (no ethanol) should not be over 30 Baht at PTT (where available).

Again:

"My mistake, I meant 21+ and 29+ Baht respectively."

• Like 1