BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
ghengis

What Is The Nature Of Enlightenment

I think we should keep the tone of the conversation on a more spiritual level. Losing your cool means that you have lost the argument.

who are you to say what is enlightenment and what is not???

The 'everlasting state' of 'Nirvana' is described in many places. How can someone intellectually understand a concept of something so abstract? It is a big like asking a scientist 'what existed before the Big Bang?'. The answer is that it exists on a different level.

Infinity is difficult concept for people who measure everything in 4 dimensions of space and time. The concept of Nirvana is that of a level of consciousness which is infinite - which is beyond our dimensions of space and time - which is beyond the thought process and our sensory perceptions. The mind does not experience it. It experiences itself - hence the term Self Realisation.

Actually, I spent some 12 years teaching and lecturing on the question 'What is the nature of enlightenment'. Then I finally jacked in the wold of academia and took myself off to a monastery. One day I was with my good friend who was a monk when our teacher walked by.

"Lama", began my friend, "What is enlightenment?"

Our teacher roared with laughter before finally replying.

"It doesn't matter" he said.

Finally, I began to understand what I'd been teaching all those years.

Andy,

Where is your signature quotation from?

Which monastery, if you don't mind me asking, and specifically what did you lecture on (and was it at university or elsewhere?).

Thanks.

WOW! surely we should all feel truly privileged to be in the company of such highly advanced thinking and superior intellect...

what a bunch of know-it-all <deleted> you all are...

‘andyinkat’if you took your pompous head out of your pompous backside for one minute you might have the chance to discuss and maybe even learn something...

from my experiences i would say that acid gives you a true vision of the world as it REALLY is without any of the normal human beliefs or preconceptions 'getting in the way'. is this Enlightenment??? Who knows, but i notice a lot of the things that have been mentioned above are very closely related to an LSD experience

Hi rob, Lsd is not enlightenment as such but as stroll said it indeed can open certain channels of your being. Surely it will give you the experiences of alternating reality and "open your eyes" so to speak. For me their could be a possibility of having a glimpse of enlightenment through lsd but you can not sustain it as your body is very quickly exhausted From these Higher energy's.

Also the mind still plays a big role in a trip as you will see or experience what you think. That's why you can have "bad trips" as you think of something you will see it and it will agrevate your thinking, thus leading into more and more "bad things happening".

Your EGO also remains very much alive in these experiences and works hard to counterbalance. After a while you will actually "flip over" to a very animal like state as your energy comes down.

Only the long and sometimes painstaking process of meditation is able to prepare and transfer your body to continous experience of other "realities". This way you can still be centered.

But indeed several types of drugs can open some channels or experiences which come very close to what somebody could call "religious" experiences.

Be aware that " REALITY IS DETERMINED BY YOUR FOCUS". Not only whith drugs but in" Real life" as well.

Whatever 'enlightenment' is in theory in practice it is a state of mind that manifests itself as skilful wisdom and compassion.

Therefore IMO it is quite self-evident which poster lacks any appropriate insight to comment on the matter.

Maybe someone would like to start up another thread in another forum for dopeheads to share their experiences - that way we can all avoid it and focus on a serious question.

Now isn't that an Arrogant and "EGO" answer from a 12 years experienced Theacher of Enlightenment :D

Actually, I spent some 12 years teaching and lecturing on the question 'What is the nature of enlightenment'. Then I finally jacked in the wold of academia and took myself off to a monastery. One day I was with my good friend who was a monk when our teacher walked by.

"Lama", began my friend, "What is enlightenment?"

Our teacher roared with laughter before finally replying.

"It doesn't matter" he said.

Finally, I began to understand what I'd been teaching all those years.

Think you still haven't understood your "TEACHER" andy :D

Maybe you should move beyond your "Mind"....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA roaring with laughter :o

thank goodness for that,

finally an intelligent and INTERESTING post from somebody...

thankyou for your views Darknight - definite food for thought there

you see folks, that is the sort of considered and grown up discussion we are looking for, not the typical ‘i am right, you are wrong’ bullshit you other lot are coming out with.

copied it from the quotes section.

Meditate on this Andy....

No hard feelings though , :o sorry missing a kindship smiley

Buddhas don’t save buddhas. If you use your mind to look for a buddha, you won’t see the buddha. As long as you look for a buddha somewhere else, you’ll never see that your own being is the buddha. And don’t use a buddha to worship a buddha. And don’t use the mind to invoke a buddha. Buddhas don’t recite sutras. Buddhas don’t keep precepts. And buddhas don’t break precepts. Buddhas don’t keep or break anything. Buddhas don’t do good or evil.

- Bodhidharma (d. 533)

just a quickie,

Enlightenment is like the moon reflected on the water. The moon does not get wet, nor is the water broken. Although its light is wide and great, the moon is reflected even in a puddle an inch wide. The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in dewdrops on the grass, or even in one drop of water.

- Dogen (1200-1253)

I am obviously not a Buddha.

Rob just is a wind up, one tries to have a conversation with him, even after he sent me hate mail, and what is the response?

"what a bunch of know-it-all <deleted> you all are..."

###########, lad.

not you again????

don't you get it 'stroll'? nobody gives a hoot what you think... now get lost

No, not yet.

But I knew I made a mistake as soon as I posted it. It won't get any better.

I am off now, Sir teeniebopper.

I've found the Zen perspective interesting. All the images of moon, and water, etc.

As Alan Watts once pointed out, most of us choose religion based on what's mandated by our parents. Of those that have chosen on their own, most go with aesthetic choice, ie, what feels nice or looks artistic.

Few ever go beyond the images.

hehe... what would you rather be 'stroll'... a boy?

or a lonely, miserable, bitter and twisted sad old git who spends far too much time on their computer?

listen, Thailand's a wonderful place with great people, why don't you go out and make a few friends and try to enjoy yourself a bit and stop pestering everybody...

Oxford Will - PM or e-mail me if you want to know my Dharma background. Ironically I don't feel that this is an appropriate forum for a worthwhile exchange of ideas and knowledge about Buddhism.

I nicked the quote the other day but I don't remember exactly where - probably from somewhere within the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree.

I'm moving to a town on the border with Laos amongst ethnic Laotians.

WOW! surely we should all feel truly privileged to be in the company of such highly advanced thinking and superior intellect...

what a bunch of know-it-all <deleted> you all are...

'andyinkat'if you took your pompous head out of your pompous backside for one minute you might have the chance to discuss and maybe even learn something...

I think you are suffering from a bad case of feelings of inadequecy.

Immature way of showing it, too. Kindly keep your rudeness to yourself.