Ministries to propose golf club quarantine following demand from foreign players

rooster59

6 minutes ago, drenddy said:

These guys are completely deluded.It seems there is a general feeling among them that foreigners just wait in line, millions, to get into Thailand, then being put on quarantine and all these officials are into some sort of contest..Which one comes with best ideas in order to please thai people and, of course, the great leader.

Well, it seems that the idea came from the golfers!

'This idea came up after suggestions from golfers from four Asian countries,'

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The foreigners will be quarantined in the golf clubs with accommodation standard in line with alternative local state quarantine centres. This idea came up after suggestions from golfers from four Asian countries, namely, China, South Korea, Japan and Taiwan.

Exactly how many golf clubs have the facilities to house, feed, segregate isolation players from the general public etc. ...................LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Exactly how many golf clubs have the facilities to house, feed, segregate isolation players from the general public etc. ...................LOL

I can think of a couple around Pattaya.

Ideal for the Koreans who normally come Jan/Feb time and often play 36 holes a day. However no way they could be segregated from the staff/caddies etc. who work for the course/accommodation.

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Well, it seems that the idea came from the golfers!

'This idea came up after suggestions from golfers from four Asian countries,'

Yes lol it came form the golfers look at the countries .....can you see many western countries amongst them....

No didnt think so.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Indeed. Any golfers reading this thread? If so, you'll know that during the high season Thailand's golf courses are inundated with Asian tourist golfers. Most who have nothing more in mind than golf -- no malls, no temples -- nothing but being in a warm climate playing their beloved golf (ok, ok, that too, but I'm sure something can be arranged).

So why would being quarantined to the confines of a golf course be any different than in a plain vanilla quarantine hotel? The quarantine interface with housekeeping wouldn't be any different, nor with interfaces with management or food services. Yeah, the services of a caddie may need to be curtailed -- but, hey, the need for caddies dates back to pre-cart days in Thailand, and today carts are required (and unnecessary caddies really aren't.....). So, can the caddies.

This actually is really some forward thinking as the high season for golf approaches -- and many pent up Asian golfers are salivating for a warm clime and their golf. And Thai golf courses are now fully open, with covit rules in place (like, leaving the pin in). Just have some pre-screening rules in effect for these tour groups. And, maybe, if 14 days quarantine at the same golf course gets boring (maybe 10, as we read this), have agreements between adjacent quarantine golf courses for bus exchanges of groups.

Anyway, the main high season golf business is tourist golfers, so this looks like a good plan. Yeah, the locals will be shunted aside, but my last visit to a Chiang Mai golf course last week told me this would not be a great loss of business (a business the non quarantine golf courses would gratefully absorb, thus no negative impact on overall green fees for the country).

Good plan (just don't apply it to my favorite golf course in CM).

My favorite golf course in terms of cost and condition is Haripunchai, down in Lamphun. Difficult to find, so I doubt many golfers would get there. They can have Alpine, Chiang Mai Highland, Royal Chiang Mai and Gassan Legacy for all I care. The cheap charlies will flood Hang Dong, resulting in 6 hour rounds.

All the Chiang Rai courses only have the locals, doubt that will change much.

Small correction: Leaving the pin in when putting is an amendment to the Rules of Golf, nothing to do with coronavirus, as the amendments came in January 1, 2019. One still has the option of removing the flagstick.

A course like Waterland would be ideal, It is run by Han Hee-won (ex LPGA Korean Golfer) and her nephew ..every high Season it is full of Koreans and they play all day every day...only stopping to eat!!  Very much enjoy playing that course ... avoid the High Season though!!!

Happy that the course  MrJ and I are members of does not have accommodation...

51 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I course like Waterland would be ideal, It is run by Han Hee-won (ex LPGA Korean Golfer) and her nephew ..every high Season it is full of Koreans and they play all day every day...only stopping to eat!!  Very much enjoy playing that course ... avoid the High Season though!!!

Happy that the course  MrJ and I are members of does not have accommodation...

Waterland is where?

If you like watery golf courses, Huay Sak in Chiang Rai. Only six holes, every hole is a water carry from the tee, and not short carries either.

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Ministry of Tourism and Sports, as well as the Ministry of Public Health, will propose to the Centre for Economic Situation Administration (CESA) to allow foreigners to quarantine in golf clubs, with an aim to serve golfers from four Asian countries.

By hook or by crook Pipat will get anyone in !

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

And Thai golf courses are now fully open, with covit rules in place (like, leaving the pin in).

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Small correction: Leaving the pin in when putting is an amendment to the Rules of Golf, nothing to do with coronavirus, as the amendments came in January 1, 2019. One still has the option of removing the flagstick.

Both correct.

When play resumed after the initial Covid break many courses had a stated guideline to not touch the pin. Some, like Pattana, had foam noodles at the base of the pin to stop the ball going in the cup - actually made the putting easier as if you hit the noodle it was considered holed........

At most of the courses I play the Covid "restrictions" have all but disappeared apart from plastic sheeting in carts at some and no AC on in some changing areas - but I think that is as much to do with cost as adhering to regulations as it is not uniform across all courses.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Waterland is where?

If you like watery golf courses, Huay Sak in Chiang Rai. Only six holes, every hole is a water carry from the tee, and not short carries either.

About 50km from Phitsanulok. During the round you used to go over the Nan river about six times... by boat..less now if I remember correctly. You also t-off over it a few times.

Think I wrote something about it maybe Feb 2019 in golf forum.. well worth a visit....they have a facebook page

I just see Sept 12 2017 I did a big write up on it ...in the Golf Forum

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

About 50km from Phitsanulok. During the round you used to go over the Nan river about six times... by boat..less now if I remember correctly. You also t-off over it a few times.

Think I wrote something about it maybe Feb 2019 in golf forum.. well worth a visit....they have a facebook page

I just see Sept 12 2017 I did a big write up on it ...in the Golf Forum

I have a fond memory of teeing off at Banff in Canada, over the Bow River. One has to hit off with dozens of Banff Hotel patrons watching from the windows directly behind the tee.

5 hours ago, JimGant said:

Good plan (just don't apply it to my favorite golf course in CM

General question : would the golf resort that quarantine, informed the public (like a notice posted ) that this is alternative quarantine site (ASQ) so just simply closed the resort to the public to enter?

I agree with Jim that it just don’t apply to our favorite course in CM.