Dad stranded in Thai hospital after surviving fall from sixth floor balcony

rooster59

On 11/8/2020 at 10:02 AM, bobandyson said:

Any Brit who has lived outside of the UK for more than one year would have to wait 6 months before receiving benefits upon returning.

That's from what I've heard.

That is true bu they cannot withhold treatment.  They can present a bill but I don't think they sue, if you don't pay.  Many people go back and don't disclose they have been living overseas. I know a lot of Brits who maintain an address in the UK and visit the doctor on visits home to keep that option open.  I found an old NHS card in a draw from the early 80s but I am sure that would do the trick.

"We've been told by the Foreign Office that unless he pays his medical bills the hospital can withhold his passport and he won't be able to leave the country."

I wouldn't have thought that hospitals can legally hold passports which are the property of the British government. But perhaps the FCO was just telling them what can actually happen in Thailand.

10 hours ago, NRGF said:

Every one in Britain gets free health care even if they're just visiting and some visit just for that. 

That is clearly incorrect you need to read the NHS website they will not refuse to treat you but expect you to pay if not eligible for free treatment.

Many hospitals employ staff whose role is to chase up the payments.

Two years ago my Thai wife and I visited a large a London hospital they thought she was suffering from appendicitis, after the diagnosis a person appeared with forms to sign agreeing to pay for treatment.

After producing her Australian passport she was told she was entitled to emergency treatment at no cost as there is reciprocal agreement with Australia.

It was irrelevant as we both have worldwide medical and accident cover.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 2:42 PM, Grumpy John said:

the first thing I noticed when I rented a condo at Cosy Beach was how low the balcony wall was

Nice, cheap hotel on Sukhumvit near Phrom Phong, El Majestic. I recommend it if you’re in BKK. Though unfortunately, it’s temporarily closed due to Covid.

It overlooks what used to be the Dinosaur Park, soon to be another shopping mall. Nice to look out and see the city life at night.

Well, the railings come up to just above your knees. <deleted>? I bet more than a few people reveled in the city life a bit too much. Thus, now the windows are screwed shut.

On 11/9/2020 at 1:41 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Its not a crime to keep a UK address and keep registered with a UK GP and stay in Thailand on a long holiday 

Define a "long holiday" with regard to UK residence status and therefore eligibility for NHS services.  Please read this link; https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1187549-uk-nhs-charging-updated-guidance/