Thai's and responding to questions via Email or Text - Why don't they respond?

Thomas J

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

Something like do you still have this in stock or what brand is this? 

You get the "no hab" in bricks and mortars after walking past an item, not sure I'd hold my breath waiting for a reply online to be honest. Just have to smile and put it down to "cultural differences".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Asking a question here puts the potential responder in a quandary, because it is Asian culture to give an answer that they think the interrogator wants to hear. Part of that is reading body language. I suspect there are no answers because it is too hard by email or text.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I don't know of many in fact any Thais that use email for communication.

" Line  " seems to be the method of communication ( if you get any at all  )

Very poor English skills from Thais also seems to be a huge factor.

Not being critical, its just the way it is.

To me it rather depends on the quality of the vendor. Those with good reviews and response rates usually respond within a day to a chat message. Other less, ah, enthusiastic vendors seem not to check their chat messages often, so could be a week if at all. They may not even have the item inquired about. Moral: try to deal with the reputable.

Same w/ Aliexpress, BTW. The best always respond promptly, most likely on the same day. Once I encountered a vendor w/ a well-reviewed product and good rep for prompt service, but he just didn't care to answer any messages. Too busy or too arrogant. Anyway I did order and it turned out very well. 

Effort !!!... thats the reason. 

It takes more effort to read an E-mail in English and reply, it may be a language barrier thing - ultimately it comes down the the basic level of customer service, which, in general is extremely poor in Thailand.

Thai’s are much more responsive with Line Messenger. Its as if e-mail is too formal for them.

Additionally many Thai businesses have a very poor ‘Web presence’ and may just have a facebook page. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Try to speak Thai when you live in Thailand.

I make my inquiry both in English and Thai.  They just don't respond.  Particularly true on Shopee and Lazada where it says to "contact" them with any questions.  Not difficult questions, like "is it in stock" or "what brand is it"